Magistr8

Getting a new car, suggestions

Hey guys it it that time when you have to get out with the old and in with the new. My dillema here is that this is such a big decision that I must draw on every resource that I have available and since you have given great advice in the past I would like ot hear your advice again on this one.

3 cars
Subaru Imprezza

Volkswagon GLI VR6

or GMC Jimmy

if any o fyou have driven, drive or know of anyone who has these cars please let me know what you think of them. Consumer reports are one thing but hearing the striaght up BS is useful as well.

I am about 3 months away from getting a car so I am starting to get the jitters but know that this needs to be done

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

If you get the Jimmy, get the ZR2 version, that's the one with the factory installed lift kit, 31" wheels and 4 wheel drive. All in all, for a 1/4 ton it looks pretty good AND can hold its own for most 4x4 type things that the average person might incounter (read: snow, occasional muddy road, etc).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You read my mind, I was in fact thinking if getting the sport package (ZX2). I heard that the ZX2 with some people has been really stiff on the suspension side of things. Have you heard of any intermittent problems like that at all?

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

Yeah, of course its stiff suspension, shit you should ride with me in my truck. Not as bad as a full ton, but the offroad suspension is stiff. Usually, the people who complain about that sort of stuff have never owned a truck and are upset that it doesn't ride like their Lexus or what ever.

And you're right, its ZX2, I was thinking it was ZR2, maybe that's the Chevy 1/4ton pickup package...I can't remember.

The only reason I posted that the suspension was stiff is that it was comming from a buddy of mine has an S-10. But I belive that if we ever have the chance to meet I will hold you to the drive in the truck. I am a sucker for off roading and all around good times

You know, I think you now need an ass whoop'n...

actually, I pulled 3 trees to the fire with my truck, through some good mud. very fun, drunken fire building. got to drive around in 4 wheel-low and in first gear for a while, slinging mud everywhere...

3 cars
Subaru Imprezza

Volkswagon GLI VR6

or GMC Jimmy

...spoken as a 15 year veteran of sports car racing (and with a bored Subaru Mechanic a a fellow racer) go withthe Sub if you want Japanese reliability. You wanna go really nuts? Get the WRX version. It is the street legal rally car and it will take rain, sleet, snow, dirt, etc etc, without thinking.

No undue slam on the Chuvvy, you will not go broke driving a bus on your commute to DZ.

I drove VW for years and BMW's still run in the family (not new ones, them'z for rich folk :ph34r:) and as good as the new VR6 is, I skipped on an off-lease Audi A4 1.8T because (get this...)

It costs 50k C$ new, is worth 24k off a 3 year lease,and the one owned by a professional engineer client of mine (well maintained) "was in the shop too much so he traded it in early. the VR-6 might be fast, but start thinking in jump ticket terms when the service bills arrive :(

Dave T

PS: Used Hondas (Hondii?) are wonderful cars, too

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I'm on the Subaru wagon too. My brother has one.

The performance of the base model with the 2.0 is sufficient, but not impresive. Make sure you get the 2.2 engine at least, or splurge for the WRX. They rock.

They come pretty much loaded, I think the only option is an engine upgrade and fog-lights... the price is great, and reliability is typical of Japanese cars.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yeah, the 227 HP and 217 Lb-Ft tourque really sounds nice. The looks are the thing that kind of turn me off and make the other choices stand out a little more. Is there anything that you found that is a "Known Issue" for the WRX that would be out of the ordinary for a car?

I took a jimmy out for a spin the other day to see how it rides but I came with a buddy of mine with my snowboarding gear and some camping gear to see how it all fits in the truck. Anyways the guy at the dealership starts to get all pissy and tells us that we can't load up the truck for the TD because it is against policy.

I think it's kind of funny how the most useful pupose of the truck is denied in the TD. Really how can you get a feel for how it will suit you i fyou don't TEST it. hence the TEST DRIVE. Any who we went else where and they ave us more load to pack in there some boxes they had kicking around, showed us how to take out the seats and how they recommend we use the cargo ties that come with the truck when hauling things over rough terain like, jerry cans and such.

One of the reasons I want to get the jimmy is that they helped out so much