freeflir29

Whoa..This is interesting..

I wonder just HOW bad my Afrikaans attempt was...

It was good enough for me to understand, but not good enough that you should try to write a song yet! ;)

But that doesn't really matter. Where I come from it's a sign of respect when someone tries to speak your language.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

but not good enough that you should try to write a song yet!

Damn online translation dictionaries!!! :D

Where I come from it's a sign of respect when someone tries to speak your language.

Certainly, in Germany no one will give you the time of day...LITERALLY if you don't at least ATTEMPT some Deutch. It annoyed me in Korea when a tour guide apologized to me for her shaky English skills. I mean...I was standing in HER country. I don't know why she felt the need to apologize to me. That may come from 5,000 years of being ruled by "others" [:/]

Sorry Clay, I would have to disagree with you here. You are expecting, that where ever you go, people will speak to you in your language. My question to you is why should they? If I would go to a country not knowing any of the local language, how could I expect, that they should speak german or french or what ever else? I think, that if anybody goes anywhere in a foreign country, it's his/her job to try at least to know something about that country/language.
I think every time I'm in the US and I'm telling people that I'm Swiss they will answer: ... oh you're swiss, so you must speak swedish...[:/]

your call

how high can you fly with broken wings ...
life's a journey not a destination

You are expecting, that where ever you go, people will speak to you in your language.

No not at all...when I travel to other countries I always try to AT LEAST learn the niceties. I had trouble in Germany though. I was only there for two weeks. I knew how to say a few things but often people would "claim" they didn't speak English. I tried but two weeks just isn't enough time to pick up much. I could get as far as "Tag....Sprekin Ze English?" :D They don't seem to appreciate that too much. I'm sure it's mostly because of all the American military. They seem to leave a bad impression with a lot of locals. I don't hold it against them at all. I was in Korea for 14 months and picked up a whole lot more although that is ONE TOUGH language to pick up on.

oh your swiss, so you must speak swedish...

You know how "most" Americans are.....Sorry....;) Did anyone ask you if you had a good recipe for hot chocolate? :ph34r:

but I do have lederhosen and a german sheppard

Bwahahahahahahaa!!! :D

I thought Germany was cool

I did too...I was only there for two weeks but I drove almost constantly. Went from Frankfurt down to Switzerland, Austria, and then back to Maintz. Saw a bunch including a stop for one night at the Octoberfest in Munich. The Zugspitz (Sp?) and several castles. Fun stuff...the people were really cool too. Except you don't look any differen't so people would come up to me and start spouting Deutch..."Whoa whoa whoa....No sprekin Ze Deutch...English...." the frustrated looks on the people's faces almost got comical after awhile. :D