geanky

What would you do?

If your roommate owed you 2 months rent because of emergency circumstances that had happened and you covered for him. And he hasn't faced the situation (even though you have told him) because he doesn't have money at the moment but still finds cash to go out and party at night with his buddies.

Give him one more chance (and acquire more debt).

Throw him the fuck out.

That's a tricky situation. I've been in a similar situation before. One thing you do do is, as soon as you are finished with the lease contract that he is a part of, promise yourself that you will not put yourself into another situation where you will be dependent on him for any amount of money.

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Umm, I might ask 10,000 strangers what to do..;)

Tell him to buy you beer for change...
probably throw him the fuck out, unless he was a she
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Tell him that he has to pay you back immediately. Be nice but serious. Give him like a week to get you some substantial (1/3?) of what he owes you. Give him a repayment schedule and let him know that you mean business.

Then if he doesn't pay on time, lock his ass out and start hauling his shit to the pawn shop. :o

still finds cash to go out and party at night with his buddies.

Tell him that you disapprove and since you covered him, he is indebted to you. Verbal contracts are legally binding (in this state at least), mention that it didn't bother you since you understand the situation, UNTIL he started blowing his money getting drunk all the time.

Offer to setup a payback plan for him, where he gives you $X a week, if he misses 2 weeks because he was partying, he's gone.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

He owes you money, and he's not paying, worse still, he's blowing the rent on parties while you get overdrawn.....
Who's the asshole?

Its easy to sit here, and spout stuff like that, its IS an awkward slot to find yourself in tho....
Good Luck
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

All relationships have rules. Parent/child, b/f g/f, neighbors, boss/worker. Roommates have rules. You need to sit down and discuss them. Make sure they understand what you think is fair. If they will not make a committment and then follow it through, dump them. This isn't a good scene. Fix the problem or move on. Eventually, if the problem is not fixed, it will become intolerable and you will get out then. Why wait?

Legally the lease is in my name, we have a verbal agreement on splitting the rent. Since he broke that agreement I don't have to keep up my part which is giving him housing.

Doesn't matter. Just like if you stopped paying rent to your landlord, he can't just change the locks. Has to go through eviction proceedings. Same thing applies to you.

If your roommate pays rent directly to the landlord, whether on the lease or not, only the landlord can evict him. If he's paying rent to you, then you are his landlord and can only evict him after showing "good cause". And you would have to go through eviction proceedings. If your landlord doesn't know you are subletting and finds out, he can kick you both out. You can really get screwed if you're not careful. Trust me on this, I know what I'm talking about.

Lesson: Never share a home with anyone who is not on the lease.

I am his landlord and have already given him oral notification of what he is due. I also have proof that he has not paid the last two months so if he wants to go through the eviction process he will loose anyway. I am giving him a simple way out.

About sub-leasing, I wouldn't think it applies in this case because I am not leasing the apt. to him but just "sharing it" and he is helping with the responsibilities. I am still the one responsible for the apt. in the eyes of the landlord.

learn to fly in 3d

About sub-leasing, I wouldn't think it applies in this case because I am not leasing the apt. to him but just "sharing it" and he is helping with the responsibilities.

You may think that but by the legal definition if you allow someone to share an apartment with you and transfer some of the responsibility of maintaining that apartment to them (e.g. charge them rent) then you are subletting or subleasing. You in effect become their landlord and are held to the same legal restrictions as your landlord. Check your lease. It probably has a clause stating that you may not sublet the apartment. If that is the case than you are violating that clause by allowing someone else to live there. It most likely states that noone may live there that is not specifically named on the lease.

Also, check your state law. In many states a verbal agreement like you have with your roomate is not a valid or legal agreement for real estate transaction (including renting an apartment). Some allow verbal agreements for a maximum term of 1 year. That would make it even harder for you to collect your money if he does move out he could just stiff you for the rent and you may not have any legal recourse.

I know it doesn't help you now, but for anyone else reading this:
1) Don't have a roomate that's not on the lease
2) If you do anyway, make sure you are allowed according to your lease.
3) Make sure they sign a lease with you.

Sadly, I believe PhilyKev is right. My take of this is that going through eviction proceedings, forgetting for a moment about whether your verbal sublease contract is enforceable where you are, will raise the profile of your situation and put it on the landlord's radar at some point. This may be bad if he doesn't know about your tenant.

Better to tactfully raise the issue of eviction (without actually starting proceedings) if all else fails with a timetable certain for paying what he owes you. If that fails, you may have a problem.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143