Muenkel

When should people be allowed to post?

Yeah I found out the hard way.
I'd been off student status for a couple of months things were going well and I'd done a little 2 way out the Cessna from around 6,000. Very refreshing as the air was crisp. Curious people asked how it was (we said fine not a problem, quite enjoyable) and so a load was organised to 14,000.
Sitting on the plane in my protec all seemed well. Had gloves, lots of warm clothes feeling good on Thanksgiving one more jump and it's off to the lady's folks for Thanksgiving dinner.
Getting close to jump run and other folks are pulling on ski masks and scarves. All of a sudden it looks like I'm on a load with a bunch of bank robbers except for me who's pasty white skin is exposed. At this point I thought all may not be well but followed the other lemmings out the plane. I seriously thought of dumping at 10,000, my face was frozen and I couldn't move my mouth at all, but obviously this wasn't an option. Landed safely enough but I think I had some frostbite on my nose . For a week after all I could smell was something burning. On the same jump one of the other jumpers eyes watered so he had ice on his goggles. He pulled ok, not sure if he had an audible or if it just covered part of his goggles.
Lost my currency for the rest of the winter as I couldn't jump often enough and didn't like the idea of going that high again for a recurrency jump. Figured I'd wait and went skiing.
This winter I plan on looking like a bank robber.:)David

Be careful of the cold. It can lead to unforseen problems.

I know of a jumper that jumped in very cold weather with a full face helmet. I'm not sure what combination of conditions in the plane, temperature, humidity and whatever else caused it, but his face shield completely iced over and he couldn't see anything. I could be wrong, but I believe it ended in a Cypres save.

Nobody is saying not to jump in the cold. Just be extra careful and research what you are doing.

Iv'e told this one before, but a jumper just off of AFF jumped without gloves at about zero dgrees at altitude. Her hands wend numb during freefall and she couldn't feel the hackey. Had to go to silver. Couldn't feel that either, but she could see that she had it.

i don't see why not....
I have never jumped before-but I am planning on it this January. I learned about dz.com from my cousin. he told me to come, ask my questions, meet some cool people and learn about the sport. I have and I have learned a lot which i think will become very useful in my future.....

*daizey*

I'd had a few conversations with the more experienced jumpers out there as the weather was cooling off here. I'd started wearing gloves a month or so before that jump (probably longer) because it was cool at exit altitude and I was comfortable jumping with a few layers on in a larger suit.
The earlier jump that day (from 6000) was also a kind of test jump and it honestly wasn't that bad, as I say it was nice to be in the sky in the winter air. I did a solo for the jump from 14,000 and it was a learning experience no doubt about it. Very much different from what I had expected because of the previous jump and my dive plan was instantly shelved as I concentrated on falling stable.
I agree it's something that needs to be researched (anything different/new in a person's jumping should be) I just don't recommend people follow my method.
David

I have never jumped before-but I am planning on it this January.

Not cold enough for you yet? It would be a lot easier now; not as cold, ground not as frozen, PLF's when it's cold are "sting" more than when it's warm,...
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Should a person who is not currently jumping due to reasons beyond their control, but still have a love for skydiving be allowed to post on Dropzone.com?

You mean this is a skydiving forum ? :o

I thought this was the "get drunk and post whore" -forum

Be careful what you wish for.

When I was about 15, my buddies and I snuck up to a nude beach to take a peak. Let me tell you, granted that was only one beach, but it was generally the people who shouldn't be nekkid that were.:(

Be careful what you wish for.

That's what I keep telling you guys about MY naked pictures, and you won't believe me! I'm old, you don't wanna see me naked- gravity has set in! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"Yay Long Island!"
Haha....Long Island Rocks!
I grew up upstate, My parents are originally from syosset, they moved me and my brothers upstate for "a better life." I chose to go back to the old life when it came time for college!

*daizey*