rgoper

What Is Your Theory...

I do have a difficult time calling him a sniper,

From my dictionary:

snip·er Pronunciation Key (sn p r)n. 1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place. 2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

Seems like definition two fits.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

I'll hafta go look up the FBI definition of 'serial killer'. Why dont they define this guy as a serial killer?

Not having my crime classification material handy, from memory:

1. Serial killer is commonly defined as a particular victim and/or victimology killed with a "rest" between killings. It is generally understood that serial killers have at least 3 victims before they are defined as such. The rest period is *not* one day, and according to statistics, is generally thought of in terms such as months or Lunar cycles (not that the moon has anything to do with it, it's just a frame of reference for a time period). They are also considered "organized" in crime scene analyses, and has overtones of sexuality inherent (also referred to as sexual sadistic killings)(but not like most people think of sexuality, though, even in BSMD circles...), adn there is a certain commonality/ritual that is apparent in each scene. Some readily recognizable serial killers: Randy Kraft, Ted Bundy, the Hillside Stranglers, Aileen Wuornos, the Green River Killer.

2. Spree killer is commonly defined as someone who kills with NO rest period - such as this shooter - but who generally is caught, shot, or suicides in a short amount of time (generally not more than several days). There is usually (but not always) a specific victim/victimology, and are considered "disorganized". Some easily recognizable Spree killers are: Andrew Cunanan, Richard Speck, and Charles Whitman (the Tower Sniper in Texas).

So neither of these catagories actually define the murderer back east. He is not a serial killer as he takes no time off to "rest", is not specific in his victimology, and there is not a recognized sexual aspect in his shootings. Neither is he a spree killer, because he is clearly organized, no specific victimology, and is not burning out or getting sloppy enough to be caught, and he clearly hasn't suicided yet.

As to AQ being the prime motivator in this, I have mixed emotions. Yes, I too recall clearly the pronouncements of OBL stating in his tapes that there would be personal terrorizing - if I recall accurately, the phrase was "in your streets, your stores, and yes, your golf courses" - and to be sure there were some 2000 american citizens trained by AQ, and returned to the US. An additional aspect in favor of AQ is the locality - near the capital of our country, in/around the DC area.

OTOH, the phrase "I am God" is not something I think the fanatical muslim would utter. The use of the word God would not be there - it would be Allah, I think. Secondly, there is something in the use of the Tarot card which reeks of westernism and western culture (tarot card reading was a European creation, Roms/gypsies, etc. many hundred years ago). And thirdly, the concept that someone would claim to be God would be a heretical statement to any devout believer, especially muslims. It's the kind of thing that you can't claim to be if you want your 72 virgins (or white raisins) in the afterlife.

Lastly, I would have thought there would have been shootings in many cities at once, or in very close proximity, if it were to terrorize. As it stands right now, we on the west coast send our sympathy, but don't yet duck as we're putting gas in the car. It would be effective if there were many episodes of sniper shooting at once in, say, 5 cities...but one fairly small region 3,000 miles away hasn't scared *me* yet. I'm still buying gas and going to Home Depot...did that make sense? LOL, I am trying to articulate it, but it's slipping from my grasp at the moment. Sorry.

As to him being a wanna-be, yes, that's possible. But I don't give that too much credence, only because someone 25 y/o or less is not as "contained" yet - still is impulsive to an extent - to be able to carry this out for this long, without saying something to someone which would get him police attention. I expanded my age range to 30-40 for that very reason - this is someone who has had many years of experience at controlling himself, others, and his immediate environment, and doesn't talk, and has a very set routine, and specific communication with his circle of people...limited, as it were.

And, I could be totally wrong on all counts....

(Edit: Thanks, vectoryBoy...I don't know much about weapons. I appreciate the info! Didn't realize there was that sort of stuff available...but now that I think about it, yes, of course! ;))

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Arm everyone and the crime rates will go down

c'mon guys, this isn't about weapons control, it's about us trying to help catch this person. if we can all pool our resources, and think a little bit, i betcha we could catch this clown. i mean, lookit, we're all skydivers, and we're all from all over the usa, so hey, let's give it a shot! we could lock a bad person up, AND get skydiving some good press! :)
Sorry , I am just sick of being slammed every time something happens as a gun owner . Violence is glorified in todays music , movies , and media . I don't see the anti gun media bitching about a rapper talking about how cool it is to kill police and be a gangsta . I hope they catch this sick bastard and pray he is a terrorist so the liberal media doesn't use that against gun owners . I am also sick of the sniper term as this asshole is a fucking cold blooded killer and deserves to be labled as such .

Well heres my theory....
Thinking off all the things happening in the world my paranoide brain thought, it might be a Saddam Hussein/Arafat loving moslim.
Whos bringing some more missery to america, after the trend being set on the towers.
Sounds probable, or might be a good thought for the next spy/terrorist-story of R.Ludlum.

Heh, thats funny .

Actually, there doesn't have to be any formal training involved in this. With the scopes out today, one could easily hone their skills enough to hit center mass on a target from a 100 yards or two... I think there's far too little information to create any kind of profile and anyone who says different is basing their opinion completely on guestimations...

"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

Hey, Randy!

anyone who says different is basing their opinion completely on guestimations...

Yup, totally correct. I haven't seen any crime scene photos, live 3,000 miles away, am not any kind of expert, and am purely guessing my ass off. But isn't that what this thread is for?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I learned basic cover and concealment when I was in 4th and 5th grade playing army in the field across from my house... ;)

exactly, until you get into the advanced schools the military teached diddly squat about cover, concealment, avenues of approach and evasion..

i learned more from books, pseduo-martial art and practice than i did from the army (not counting person to person TTP) the info is out there if you look. just read a few cheesy "mens adventure" novels can give the perceptive alot of ideas.

as many have stated, this guy hasnt exibited any spectacular marksmanship. put me in the "no military training" camp.

. . . so i'm profiling male, approx. 25-30 years of age, caucasian, maybe 5'8" short blond hair, green/blue eyes, ex-military with an "other than honorable discharge"

Don't feel too bad, most of the FBI profilers didn't get it right either!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver