skybytch

The Sims.... Online

I love the computer game The Sims. It's great fun to micromanage the A.I. lives of my little Sims - make them cook, clean, go to work, get married, have babies, go on vacation, go downtown...

I also love to hang out in Cybertown, a virtual 3d (VRML) world where you can have a 3d avatar, a 3d home, a virtual job, earn virtual money and basically have a virtual life. Cybertown reminds me a lot of the Metaverse from the novel Snow Crash.

But now... the folks responsible for the Sims have really done it. They've created The Sims Online, which looks like it's going to be a massive multi-player online community when it goes "live" in the near future. I think it's going to be a lot like Cybertown...

Being the geek-wanna-be, online community hanger-outter and Sims-lover that I am, I just had to pre-order the software so I can get into it as soon as it goes "live." Neat thing about pre-ordering this particular piece of software? By doing so, I get to be a part of the pre-release "play testing" that is going on right now.... and my play test software arrived in the big brown UPS truck today. :)
Guess what I'm doing as soon as I get home from work today? Guess where I'll be every minute I don't have to be at work for the next few days?

Don't miss me too much.

i had a friend who just installed that new version on his computer. i thought the game was a little odd but i guess that is due in part to the fact that i have difficulty managing my own daily affairs!

It is better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!

Oh boy. It's even cooler than I was expecting. Only bad thing so far is the game keeps ending on me unexpectedly. I'm gonna ask someone who's been playing for a few days if that's normal when I get back in there...

As with most beta tests (pre-release versions) crashes are very common. The reason they release these games to people is so that they can email support with any problems they have with the game on there system. When you email support you should include info about your system, like the megs of memory, video card, sound card, and processor and what you were doing when the problem occurred. It is also very helpful if you can make the game crash again by doing the same thing. They use the feedback from users to fix the game problems before they go on store shelves.

Many times when a person buys the game off the store shelf it will still have problems because the company released it sooner then they should have to beat a deadline ( ex. Christmas ).

I just finished being part of the AC2 Beta and the game looks good, better then UO, AC 1 and EQ. AC2 will be released near the end of this month. EQ 2 will probably be a bit better but its scheduled release is x-mas 2003.

Many times when a person buys the game off the store shelf it will still have problems because the company released it sooner then they should have to beat a deadline ( ex. Christmas ).

Yeah like Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis, Indy disappears at the end of the game, it kinda sucks. yeah yeah yeah am old :P

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I'm still having loads of fun with this game. :)
They need more people to play test it so they've asked the players to spread the word. Thought I'd let you all know in case anyone is interested.

You can get a free play test CDROM here - and in the US they'll even ship it to you for free. Game play is also free during the play test.

If you get the disk and start playing let me know your characters names so we can hook up in the game. I have two characters right now - Sky Manor lives in Dan's Grove and Chef Sky is in Interhogan. B|

>I also love to hang out in Cybertown, a virtual 3d (VRML) world where
> you can have a 3d avatar, a 3d home, a virtual job, earn virtual
> money and basically have a virtual life.

So it's like real life except you can't leave your computer?

So it's like real life except you can't leave your computer?

Yup, Cybertown is basically a virtual "life." You do have to be able to be online a lot to really get into it. There's quite a few disabled and other "home bound" types that hang out there alot, and quite a few (most of them pretty damn smart) kids hang out there too.

I found the site shortly before my back surgery and got quite into it (and quite virtually rich too B|) while I was recovering and had nothing else to do.

I made a lot of friends of all ages from around the world there too; it has a great community feel to it. That comes partly from the site rules - no "bad language", no sexual references, no stealing from others, no ripping people off, etc...

I'm hoping TSO follows that lead and enforces the few similar rules they've established. Regardless, it's going to be interesting to be a part of the forming of that community and seeing where it goes once the game goes "live."

Oh shit, someone's going to have to go GET her and bring her to ELoy-the only reason I ever left the house to start skydiving was because I didn't reinstall the Sims after I upgraded my OS. Its been calling to me lately......must fight the urge...its like Evercrack times 10.

Jess

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

Everquest was bad... Sims was worse... I'll stay away from the online Sims...

Ever play "Asherons Call"?

Man, that game had me hooked like crack! Some of the characters of that game were for sale on Ebay for thousands of dollars!!!

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!