SpeedRacer

about one-Cessna dropzones

Sure enough AggieDave..... I would agree....
But some "large turbine DZs" still have a 180
or a 182 parked on site... because
many places that can
now offer a turbine,,,,,,BEGAN as Cessna DZs and
still DO have ,,,, that small DZ atmosphere,,only
over the years the support for the place has grown, and if there is a good staff,, the numbers of novice and intermediate level jumpers have grown as well.
Then you have the BEST of both worlds,,,,,, a place with good vibes,,,, AND great aircraft........Plus you can have the occasional Sunday afternoon, where the 180 will take off and 15 or 20 minutes later the Otter will go,,,,,,,,and they meet up with each other
on jump run !!!;);),,, Nothing like a formation load where the exit doors face one another!!!!especially
when you have REAL capable jump pilots..........I swear we ALMOST chunked an exit,,,, where 6 floaters from the Otter....
were hooked up to 4 more who were on the step of the Cessna ;) Hahaha,,,,,,
(OK OK ...just kiddin'....... only happened in my imagination).........
But wouldn't THAT be Fun!!!!!!!!!![:/]
Cessna Jump.......or NO jump..??.....Put me on the Cessna manifest!!!!!!
Turbine load or Cessna Load......??? "Doh" (homer simpson) .... It isn't even close...:)

The conversion for the Turbine 206 is fairly expensive, we had looked to get one when Aggieland was first opening, but ended up going with a regular 182 to start with. That's ok, we'll have a Caravan soon enough...:P

Turbine engines aint cheap but they are very reliable and don't require overhaul until almost double that of a piston engine. They are lighter so that you can carry more pax/fuel and produce more power (safety) and aren't suceptible to "shock cooling". They do have other limitations that pilots have to be aware of for sure.

The conversion for the Turbine 206 is fairly expensive, we had looked to get one when Aggieland was first opening, but ended up going with a regular 182 to start with. That's ok, we'll have a Caravan soon enough...:P

Turbine engines aint cheap but they are very reliable and don't require overhaul until almost double that of a piston engine. They are lighter so that you can carry more pax/fuel and produce more power (safety) and aren't suceptible to "shock cooling". They do have other limitations that pilots have to be aware of for sure.

plus it is a heck of a lot faster than a caravan. a caravan lift is still a slow climb rate (In my experience), even though you're going higher.

I'M ONE OF THE OWNERS OF SKYDIVE WICHITA. WE TRY NOT TO BUMP ANYONE WHO WANTS TO MAKE A JUMP. UNTIL THREE MONTHS AGO WE RAN TWO 182'S BUT WE SOLD ONE TO LOWER EXPENCE. AS A RULE WHEN WE HAVE ALOT OF TANDEMS OR STUDENTS WE TRY TO KEEP EVERY OTHER LOAD FOR UPJUMPERS, IT KEEPS THE STUDENTS EXCITED WATCHING THEM LAND AND HEARING THEM TALK ABOUT THERE JUMPS. WE HAVE VERY FEW COMPLAINTS BECAUSE WE TRY TO CATER TO EVERYONE BUT ONCE AND A WHILE SOMEONE FEELS THAT ITS JUST TO SLOW. WHAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER IS WE'RE DOING THE BEST WE CAN. IF YOU DO MAKE THE LONGER DRIVE HAVE A GREAT TIME WE ALL WISH WE COULD JUMP FROM A TURBINE EVERY WEEKEND BUT COME ON CUT US SOME SLACK THERE'S AN OLD GEORGIA SAYING "YOU HAVE TO RUN WITH WHAT YOU BROUGHT TO THE TRACK" THATS ALL WE'RE TRYING TO DO.
DAN SMITH
www.skydivewichita.com

Dude. How do you like Frederick. I lived there for a few years and it was my favorite city to live in so far. I used to live downtown on South Street for a while then lived in Willowcrest near Ft. Detrick. I'm sure it's changed a lot since then. That was 10 years ago but I loved downtown Frederick. What a neat city with awesome little pubs and restaurants. My husband and I met at Grif's Landing.

Rhonda

Thought this was funny to read. We call our "regular" Otter a toad because our Super Otter is so much nicer! I think that if all I had to jump ever was at a small Cessna DZ, I would go back to G O L F !

Or you would grump about the 182 for a while, do some jumps out of it, get used to it, then enjoy them for what they are.

-Sandy (But mighty glad to be jumping a King Air again)

dd,

i've jumped out of a cessna turbine 206... with 5 jumpers and 1 pilot we were climbing at around 1500ft min and it rocked... wierd as hell to hear a turbine sound comingout of a 206.... this one was in germany

Or you would grump about the 182 for a while, do some jumps out of it, get used to it, then enjoy them for what they are.

I really want to jump the 182 at our DZ and always ask about it on slow days. Twice now they've started to get it ready, and then had a couple more jumpers show up so they can get a King Air load together. Weak!

From this thread, I've realized that I'm lucky to jump at a small turbine DZ. We have all that small DZ feel, with a relatively short ride to 13,500 and no trouble getting on loads.

We have a single 182, but it's a widebody, with 3 ft wingtip extensions and the 520 engine in it. Consequently, we can climb to 10,500 AGL in about 23 minutes...and our DZ is located at 5,000 ft above sea level! It's really a great plane.

I'm sort of a split personality on this. I had almost 300 jumps before I moved to NM and made my first ever Cessna jump. I was turbine-spoiled, but I'll tell you, I still love my little home DZ. The people there are just great, there aren't really any cliques to speak of (there aren't enough of us!), and even on shitty days, we'll be down there doing something.

Now, don't get me wrong, I train at a big DZ, and I love it. I just got 33 skydives over 4 days this past week, and I couldn't be happier. But a part of me wished that all my buddies from the little DZ could be there, too.

As for the student issue, we try to balance the loads as much as possible. Usually every 2 or 3 loads is an experienced load...it also gives the JM's and TM's time to reset and recharge for the next round. It seems to work well.

I'd say give it a shot, especially for the social aspect. Hell, I don't really like to jump too much in the cold, anyway...it's the camraderie that counts!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I jumped at Chambersburg for about 20 yrs. The big planes always leave this time of year, no money to be made when us cold weather wimps hibernate. I think Orange flies their Otter year round and the atmosphere there is great. It's a long drive from Fredneck, but that part of Virginia is a pleasure to drive through. If you want to get a quick jump in, go to The Skydivin' Place in Kingsdale, PA. It will only take you about 30 minutes to drive there. It's a one Cessna operation, but you will get jumps in, they alternate between students and experienced jumpers. It's a very friendly drop zone. Just call the day before and they'll tell you what time wheels will be up.