Maksimsf

SSK service price vs dealer

I've never had any problem calling and dealing with SSK. Their is no reason to call a dealer or use one, unless you want too. I've never had them send me anything that was not insured for the cost of the units, their not stupid business people.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Their is no reason to call a dealer or use one, unless you want too.

Well, there is the whole "make it easier" thing. If you aren't a rigger, it's way easier to drop your rig off all packed up and then pick it up, ready to jump, when the AAD comes back. $10 or so is a small price to pay for simple and fast.

Dealers make things simpler for you.
I don`t know what is procedure over there, but here, it`s quite complicated to get something shipped for service outside the country.

1. You contact shipping company. With them, you have to handle temporary export documents so you don`t have to pay custom fee when the unit gets back from service. Of course, shipping company charges for this service and charges for the shipping.

2. Then you have to pay service company (SSK here), usually through bank account money transfer. Here you pay bank fee, and currency exchange fee, and you have to deal with things like invoices and such.

3. Then you`ll want to know the status of the device while it`s being serviced and delivery time and things like this, which means that you`ll have to be in contact with service provider. This doesn`t cost you money, but time.

4. Then when the unit is back, it`s shipping company again, some more paperwork and some more fees, like additional custom fee (if any) and shipping company fee. All of that you can`t pay by cash but again it`s invoices, banks etc.

So although it is quite doable for an individual, it is so much easier to just give the dealer your AAD, pick it up when it`s done and pay the additional price.

I once tried to keep things simple and sent AAD through UPS and let them do the paperwork. In the end I ended up paying even more than the dealer usually ask.
dudeist skydiver #42