lippy

Brave 'skydiver' has brush with death

So I turn on You Gotta See This (a Canadian Real TV), and here's this guy under canopy with his foot around a couple of lines and a partially inflated canopy spinning over his head. This guy was a first jump student, went unstable on exit and got tangled. So he's under canopy spinning, his girlfriend, filming from the ground is hy-freakin-sterical, and the radio guy is in the background saying "Jumper #1, locate and pull your emergency handle" over and over. Eventually he pulls silver, falls out of the lines and gets a nice-looking round over his head. And in the interview the caption reads: 'Joe Blow, SKYDIVER' WTF is up with that:S>:([:/]
I got nuthin

I bet if he went in though (which I'm very glad he didn't btw) the news would have said "his parachute didn't open". News reports piss me off like that. It's also where my parents get all their information from - they won't listen to someone actually involved in the sport ie me, just some newsreader they don't even know giving out crappy information.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

At least he jumped. That's still one jump more than 99% for the world population

I totally have respect for anybody who's jumped. I wouldn't blow somebody off for only having one jump, any more than I'd expect to be blown off for only having 200 by somebody with 1000 jumps. I got a kick out of the caption calling him a skydiver. When I had 1 jump, or 10 for that matter, I didn't call myself a skydiver. I looked forward to being able to call myself I skydiver, but didn't consider myself one.
I got nuthin

"I think I saw that clip. If his S/L instructor taught him to exit the plane like that (kneeling and rolling out sideway) he needs to have his ratings yanked"

This jump sounds like one that happened at my DZ a 3-4 years ago. If it is...from what i was told of it (i was not there at the time), the student had a line-over malfunction and just panicked...he pulled his reserve after he heard our warning siren (we use it to notify the staff of an emergency)

Just wanted to clarify... BTW did you like how the media looped the tape...the whole incident lasted about 10 seconds. their footage was about... what a minute or two

I got a kick out of the caption calling him a skydiver. When I had 1 jump, or 10 for that matter, I didn't call myself a skydiver. I looked forward to being able to call myself I skydiver, but didn't consider myself one.

I know what you mean, I had similar thoughts in the begining.
I now feel that you aint a "Skydiver" till you complete your student status.
Only then can you make the claim "I'm a Skydiver" IMPO.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

"his girlfriend, filming from the ground is hy-freakin-sterical"

I was out at a Cessna dz and there was a tandem, me, and one other guy on the load. The tandems g/f asked about the process. I said "Your b/f will exit attached to the t/m, fall, open the canopy,and land. Just look up."

So...me and JJ do a 2-way, turn some points, then the agreed breakoff was - We track at 3000, I dump at 2500 and he tracks down to 2000.

From the ground, the g/f saw my canopy open and someone still in freefall...she was hysterical because she thought that the t/m had dropped her b/f. :D

So he's under canopy spinning, his girlfriend, filming from the ground is hy-freakin-sterical

and she kept calmly filming him ... if somebody you care about is about to die would you just film it ?
that's something i don't really get.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

that's something i don't really get.

Once you start jumping a camera......you'll understand.....:D

she was a whuffo ! :)

stan

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

I got a kick out of the caption calling him a skydiver. When I had 1 jump, or 10 for that matter, I didn't call myself a skydiver. I looked forward to being able to call myself I skydiver, but didn't consider myself one.

I totally agree. I can't wait until I can officially call myself one B| I'm still a student, but I want to learn everything I can. Of course, I guess that's why I'm lurking around here!

Kim
When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will long to return.-Leonardo DiVinci