skreamer

Americans and their over-sized cars

it's practicly an economy car

They just said things like the seats weren't that comfortable and it wasn't as ergonomic as some of it's Japanese competitors, etc. The trunk was small....basically that it was a "nice" car but you could get more for your money with a Jap mobile.

They seem to be but the review on the Speed channel says they are a bit "Spartan" for the money.

Actually, you can get them pretty specced out, but I wouldn't bother. I drove the base model with no options. It really was a revelation. It's light enough to feel quick, and it corners flat. All the controls have oodles of feel. For pure handling, you can't buy anything that comes close for the money. I'd bet the S model is even better. I almost bought one, but they left me hanging on the waiting list forever and then had the audacity to want over MSRP. By then, Mazda had shown the RX-8 and I decided I could wait a while. :)

I for one can't stand the over-sized SUVs. They're pointless and they guzzle gas. "Ohh... but I need to get my large family around" - a wife and two kids is not a "large family" Have more than that? Why not a mini-van or a station wagon? Oh that's right, they're not 'cool'

ahhh, the words of wisdom :) here is some more :

http://poseur.4x4.org

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

They just said things like the seats weren't that comfortable and it wasn't as ergonomic as some of it's Japanese competitors, etc. The trunk was small....basically that it was a "nice" car but you could get more for your money with a Jap mobile.

It's Japanese competitors are the Civic Si and.... Um, that's the only Japanese hatchback right now. The key to the Mini is to think of it as a 2-seater. Then the trunk is huge!

[Dobby (bangs on head)] Bad Americans. Americans must punish themselves [/Dobby]

hehehe

Blatant Consumerism isn't limited to us evil Americans. The Potlatch Ceremony was all about destroying as much valuable property as possible, and the one that destroyed the most was the "best".

I refuse to own and drive one of those tanks on principle. And although I don't object to others doing so, I do wish people would be a little less short-sighted and realize that their consumption of goods and services (not just big cars and gasoline) is at the root cause of our country's dependence on foreign energy sources, and that it is WE who are ultimately funding and enabling terrorism, not just by our voracious appetite for petrol, but because commerce is a two-way street. By taking our money, the countries that sell us the crude are also letting our culture intermix with theirs. As long as the commerce takes place, social pollution will occur. This is what, in my opinion, drives the ragheads to commit atrocities.

In short, if people here had a little more sense, and consumed less, the demand would drop off, and the cultural pollution would decline, and the things about our culture that the ragheads hate (like our having troops stationed in Saudi) would go away too.

They'd still hate us in their twisted little raghead minds, but they'd have fewer reasons, and less financial means of acting out their collective raghead psychosis.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

You ever seen this? http://www.idontcareaboutair.com/bumpers/index.shtml

Last time I saw this, it was a completely different website, but it had a message board somewhere on it (this one might too) and people who got "tagged" were literally threatening to kill people. Shows the mentality of people these days - do so much as put an easily removable sticker on their car, and they'll kill you.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I completely disagree with you.

#1 Reason SUV's end up on their roofs and in ditches
Answer: DUMB ASSHOLES that do NOT understand how to drive them.

Fact- a car does not handle the same as a truck or SUV... therefore you can not drive them like one.

If the soccer mom want to drive her suv like a car, then she will wreck it.

I drove front WD cars for 8 yrs before getting a truck. I drove for 4 years in central Maine, and needless to say, we got snow. 4x4's are better in "snow" than any front WD vehicle out there, it is a fact. But, you must understand how to drive them. I will agree there are many accidents with them, but it is due to bad driving in bad conditions.

Frot wheel drive in snow: Slam on the gas what happens?.... the front of the car will track toward the side.
4x4 I slam on the gas... Accelarate faily rapidly with minimal slip, and in a striaght line.

4x4 helps you go.. but it does nothing to help you stop, and that is where the accidents happen. I think people forget that.

Chris

Of course, if you really wanted to drive in poor conditions, you could always get a AWD car. All the traction without the high center of gravity and archaic suspension. Hence the popularity of Subarus in places where there is a lot of incelemnt weather. out here, they're only popular among lesbians and boy racers. :P

I completely disagree with you.

#1 Reason SUV's end up on their roofs and in ditches
Answer: DUMB ASSHOLES that do NOT understand how to drive them.

Fact- a car does not handle the same as a truck or SUV... therefore you can not drive them like one.

even if an SUV could handle better then a regular car (which is not true) being driven
by professional, the fact that most of the people are not professionals will still make statistics
better towards cars. SUV is just a modern trend, it's a lemmings desease ... people just follow
not thinking. SUVs are designed to be driven off road and they should stay there. if the roads
were not cleaned at all and there was a foot of snow on it, that would justify existence of SUV
and i would agree it's suitable.

again, i'm not argue about using SUV where it's applicable - off road and on bad roads. 99% of
SUVs are never driven there.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

honestly, i would be mad too if somebody put a sticker on my car :)

Mad = understandable. To the point of physical violence though? It's only a car people.... people get so pissed about the stupidest things "That bastard cut me off, took MY lane! I'll kill him!" - and sometimes they do :(

To the point of physical violence though? It's only a car people.... people get so pissed about the stupidest things

I don't know about you.. but I spend alot of my hard earned cash on my truck. People spend alot of money on their transportation it's second in expense only to your house. I would get seriouly twisted if I caught someone placing stickers or anything on my truck I didn't want there. So think about it. I know I paid 20k+ for my truck and wouldn't want some "greenie treehugger moron' sticking stupid shit on my truck..

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I'm not saying I wouldn't get mad at all, I'm just saying I wouldn't "beat someone's ass" for putting a smudge on my car. Scratch the hell out it on purpose, and I may get even more pissed, but still not to the point that I'd do someone bodily harm.
But, I guess I'm more laid back than most.... no sense sweating the little shit... and it's all little shit. B|

"If the soccer mom want to drive her suv like a car, then she will wreck it. "

Which is great, fine and dandy, unless you happen to be the poor sap on the other end of that collision - and based on that fear, you feel the need to own something bigger and badder than anyone else on the road - and the 'arms race' continues.

I remember hearing the comment suggesting requiring additional training and a seperate license endorsement for vehicles over 4K pounds - not a bad idea, but odds are it would kill the SUV market and that would mean I would be out of a job.

That's what I like about the mid and rear engine sports cars - if you want to drive like an idiot and run into something -> you will die, simple as that. :)

It's mainly about safety I think. We try to be safe in America, and that means driving the biggest cars. Sure, we can almost hit a loaded semi head on in our SUV's and live through it. Small euro cars? We can drive over them if we want, like speed bumps. It helps us find parking places. We can just pull a HMMV onto the top of one of those smaller cars.
Peace,
Thomas

I agree...there should be training for auto over 4tons.

I also think there should be retraining every 2 yrs for people over 65.

There is almost no such thing as a car accident. There is always a reason. If it was snowing and you lost control..that means you were driving YOUR vehicle TOO fast for the conditions. An accident
is some unpreventable freak happening. Everything else is a mistake, or someone elses mistake.

Tell me who invented 4x4, and I will kiss them

the 4 X 4 was actually concieved and built as early as the 1930's. if i'm not misstaken (and i could be) let's just say you probably wouldn't want to kiss the person who invented the 4 X 4. it was called the "schwimmer wagon" first a military vehichle later to be immortalized and refined by many to follow.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"