Lolie

What do you think of Macs?

I'm thinking about getting a iBook. People who don't use Macs are often so adamently against them. Why is that? Anyone? Or is there anyone pro-Mac who has any advice for me? (I did take a class on Macs in high school a couple years ago, and I'm quite comfortable on them.)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

My web company uses macs for all of the creative design and website production. We use custom-made FreeBSD servers for all server responsibilities. We use Windows boxes for testing and nothing else.

We have 6 macs now. We have had many more in the past that we cycled through as well.

If you want any specific questions answered, PM works well.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

nice computers, but very few software developers.. you just dont have the range of applications available.

if your reasonably intelligent they are NOT much more user friendly than PCs either..

Sony makes laptops that are just as good for video editing too..

but if the price is right, go for it..

I have a Compaq at work and a Mac at home. Love the Mac. And my daughter got an iBook to take to college this year. She hasn't had to call me much to get support. Very easy to run and unless you have specific software needs, you can get lots of software to do all the basics - editing, tunes, word processing, etc...

They are pricey, but I think they're worth it.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

bang for your buck has always been my biggest beef with apple.... you can always build a bigger/better/faster PC for less jump tickets....

if you want to edit video get yourself a machine built for video editing (sony etc), makes all the difference.

rich.

The second part of my question: How can I get my parents to buy it for me? :P

I'm trying to convince them that I can't get through college without a computer, which is practically true anyway...

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

I am so tired of my PC crashing, blue-screening, sh*t performance that I will be buying an Apple sometime next spring. I've used Macs and PCs and nothing compares to the stability of Apple. Work considerations forced me into the PC world...I'm busting out as soon as I have the $$.... go for it.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Blue Screening? Damn, I have'nt seen a Blue screen for 2 years now thanks to switching to 2000 SP2 and XP.

I'd go for the Mac if you want to do the basic stuff and have lots of stability. If you are in a computer major and need the networking and windows file sharing or unique software needs I'd go PC.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I am so tired of my PC crashing, blue-screening, sh*t performance that I will be buying an Apple sometime next spring.

"I was writing a paper, on the PC, and it was like, 'Bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep...' and half of the paper was, like, gone... I was like, 'hungh??' It devoured my paper. It was a really good paper. And then I had to write it again and I had to do it fast, so it wasn't as good. It was kind of................ a bummer."

-Miranda

Yeah, I'm not a guru...and while I'm well versed in the Windows environment, I don't use a lot outside of the basics (Internet, MSWord, Excel, Access, Powerpoint) and those apps are transparent across the platforms.

Unfortunately, my PC isn't robust enough to upgrade from WinME to XP, else I'd do it. Since I'll have to make the H/W investment...PCs lose...time for something different, with a bit more character. ;)

Make light!

It all depends on what you want to do with them.If you need one for school...what do you need it for? I go to school in auburn and have had to take Visual Basic and Java...is Visual Basic available on a mac?

The difference between a mac and a pc...when your pc is to slow you can add memory or install new video cards, etc...when your mac is too slow, you just throw it away and get a new one...simple

www.wiredvideo.com/public/video/apple_gamer.wmv

The difference between a mac and a pc...when your pc is to slow you can add memory or install new video cards, etc...when your mac is too slow, you just throw it away and get a new one...simple

Maybe that was true with the original MACs, but with the modern MAC that uses the PCI bus and DIMMs) or whatever the latest memory technology is) that particular argument isn't true anymore.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

winME?!?!? yeeks go back to 98 then..that OS (ME) is a total piece of crap...

Or step up to 2000. If you can run ME then you can run 2000, and you'll get vastly improved stability. I've had one blue screen on a 2k box, and that was caused by beta graphics drivers.

Or step up to 2000. If you can run ME then you can run 2000, and you'll get vastly improved stability.

Agreed. Microsoft has made great improvements in 2000 and XP, they're actually stable now, at least at the desktop level. You'll never catch me suggesting any Microsoft OS at the server level, at least not yet. :S

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I would except this PC never had Win98 and I'm not spending $$ to replace, enhance, anything related to Windows. No, monies being allocated to an Apple... ;)

Make light!

winME?!?!? yeeks go back to 98 then..that OS (ME) is a total piece of crap...

"Win me" is what it's worth from what I've heard.

XP pro (not home) solved all my blue screen problems (had 98 SE) except gaming with a Logitech wheel (the expensive force feedback one that is not 'properly' supported because the new one is). But, since I spend so much time online in skydiving related stuff I don't really miss it that much

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Omg. Just sold my PC last week, thank God. It always crashed or had errors or something crazy. I just thought that's what computers did, until my b.f. turned me on to Mac's. He's owned 19 of them in his life and explained it to me like this, "computers were designed to make lives easier". Mac's do just that. He's so all about Mac's that if you have any questions that you need answered I'm sure he'd love to help you out. Just pm me if you'd like him email address.

I actually went to the Apple store the night the new version of 10.2 came out. It was so crazy! They had a line of people all the way down the mall. We waited almost an hour in line to get into the store. Everytime someone walked out of the store with a system, everyone clapped. It was kinda like a weird cult, but it really says a lot for the product. When's the last time you say someone applaud a pc buyer?
Exactly.

x's and o's,

Hol :)
When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say?

You should send that post to the people at the "Switch" campaign. :P:)

-Miranda

As soon as I finish paying off my Dell :S, I'd like an iBook. I live right down the street from an Apple store, so I can cruise in and check out the goods when ever I want.

Ok, maybe I should be on a switch commercial, but check this out. When my b.f. was living with me we hooked his Mac up to the tv so my roommate could watch dvd's. After the movie ended we were long gone and she wanted to watch another dvd, but didn't know how to eject the movie. She went to some help menu and it literelly walked her through ejecting, inserting and playing another dvd. My computer would have generated a million errors and shut down before it ever answered any questions I had.

I'm not too sure if this store is close to your house, it's the only on in Wisconsin.

http://www.apple.com/retail/mayfair/

Good luck sweetie.

x's and o's,

Hol :)

Oh yea, one of the really kool things about Mac's is you don't have to worry about catching as many viruses.

When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say?