hillson

Another Vigil 2 problem?

Haven't seen this one yet (searched...).

Buddy had a cutaway this weekend after a regular 5-way belly jump...out at 13.5 pull at 3. Nothing crazy. I saw his cutaway (from riser-release) after I was fully deployed at ~2.2-2.3K. Std stuff there too...EPs and gear worked as designed.

Was our first jump of the day and we geared up together. Watched him turn on his Vigil 2 and display "Pro."

At the loft the rigger found:

1) Unit OFF (jumper walked from LZ to loft with gear on)

2) Unit wouldn't cycle - stuck in the Vigil "Hello" trap

3) Cutter not fired

Unit has a mfg date of Dec 11, jumper has had it for about 6 months (guesstimate). Unit not subject to any updates / service bulletin fixes (incl the LCD 2.20 issue). Confirmed by mfg date and serial - rigger doublechecked on the spot. Unit currently being shipped back for "checking" etc.

In sum: V2 on when gear put on. Off after cutaway. Wouldn't turn on past "Hello".

Bueller...bueller...bueller?

Unit has a mfg date of Dec 11, jumper has had it for about 6 months (guesstimate). Unit not subject to any updates / service bulletin fixes (incl the LCD 2.20 issue). Confirmed by mfg date and serial - rigger doublechecked on the spot. Unit currently being shipped back for "checking" etc.

FWIW, the head could have a different software than the unit serial number is linked to. Unlikely, but still very much possible.

I had my Vigil 2 from around that same time frame (I'd have to look at my riggers log book to verify dates) that was effected by the LCD 2.20 software and it was the last jump of my AFF pre-course when it "Hello"ed me! :|

I'm not saying it is the issue, but it is a possibility that a control unit got 'swapped'.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Over the years I've seen a lot of damage to AADs due to reserve openings. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

They make most AADs pretty tuff these days but when a reserve opens it's a pretty chaotic couple of seconds back there. Anything can happen to cables, connectors, LCDs, etc.

I'd wait to see what comes back from the company.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

What was the damage?

Damage to the wiring from the control unit to the display which caused the fault. I can ask for more specifics but as it seemed reasonable I didn't really press. Was told the brains of the device passed whatever tests they do...

Properly fit (ie no over stuff) wings for sa2 190 and pdr 176, fwiw.

I apologize in advance if my comment has not found the right setting or is not applicable to these persons for reasons I am unaware of, but doesn't 2.2 or 2.3 seem a low for being "standard stuff" in general, let alone for someone with sub 200?

No disrespect, just was the first thing that I really noticed when reading the thread, was looking for others opinions.

I usually don't pull below 3500'. Most people don't see any problem to pull at 3000' or 2500'.

This is a good thing to think about. It depends on the risk level you're willing to accept and on your capacity do deal with a life threatening emergency.

Every person is different. Set your own limit and stick to it.

What will you do if you're asked to pull lower than your self-imposed limit?

Once in a while I see a fatality that could have been avoided just by pulling 500' or 1000' higher...