TheRealOps7

Should I buy this Vector, or keep waiting? (Pursuit 230, revisited)

There are so many options out there - and some are good deals and some are junk. I sure appreciate the willingness of the forum to give succinct feedback.

Here's the deal: Vector container, made to fit my measurements(I have the original order sheet from UPT, and I'm a few pounds lighter and an inch shorter than the guy who ordered it new.) It was built new in 1986. Comes with 5 cell Swift reserve. And comes with the Pursuit 230 canopy (the canopy that we previously decided was not such a good idea for me because of the flare and openings.)

I would have to buy a different main canopy.

What should I offer? What's fair? Or just pass?

A 26 year old container? i'd pass

Did it hide in a closet for 26 years? ... or was it jumped thousands of times in the desert.

Any older harness/container will need to be inspected by a rigger. then you will need a Master rigger to sew on a few updates: Cypres pockets, BOC, magnetic riser covers, etc.

I stopped packing 5 cell swifts 10 years ago. Had an old time jumper start up again last year. Wanted me to pack the rig this year. An original Vector with original PC. He pull the RC and it fell at his feet. I told him he needed a new PC, a new freebag, a new reserve. Two weeks after I installed them he used it.:)

Your not buying your first car. Your buying your last chance to live. And maybe not even that if the harness breaks (unlikely).

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It looks to be in good condition, and the colors are bright, so I'd tell him your final offer is $200 to take it off his hands.

Then, when he is celebrating the sale and replies to you about finalizing the arrangements, let him know how you want to be paid.>:(:D Actually,offer whatever it takes to get him thinking he's got it sold before you tell him off.

The person selling that to a newbie should be made known.

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The guy just keeps sweetening the deal every time I walk away. I suppose there is a reason for this.

Here's a good comparison - let's say you're shiopping for a used car. You need one that gets good milage and is reliable to get you to work and your kids to school.

You come across a guy who has a really nice, low milage 1977 Ford Pinto. The paint is nice, and the price is low.

Do you buy the Pinto, or 2002 Honda for twice the price with twice the milage?

You buy the Honda because the Pinto, low miles and all, is not going to fullfill your needs. It's going to be slow, scary on the highway at 70mph+, might not be reliable, and you might have trouble finding someone to work on it.

It does look like a very nice rig for what it is. Skydivign equipment, however, does not age very well past 8 or 10 years. The equipment itself is fine, but the industry moves forward and new designs/materials become available and drive the value of the old stuff down. One you get to 15/20 years, you're really getting out of date, and some countries even have rules mandating that containers/reserves be grounded at 20 years old, regardless of conditions.

Just stick with newer stuff, less than 8 ot 10 years old. Even if you piece together a bottom dollar starter rig, you should be able to sell it for most of what you pay after you jump it for a year. During that time, save your pennies and then combine your savings with what you get selling your first rig, and you can step up to something newer/nicer.

Even a bottom dollar 8 year od rig will out perform the Vector/Swift/Pursuit in this thread. It's just not worth it at any price (including free).

I dunno....a CHEVY Pinto might beworth quite a bit!

Still no.

Well, for someone who's into odd cars, has the knowledge and skills and equipment to maintain it and fully understands what he is getting. It would be a great find.

For a 16 year old who just got his license? (rough analogy to the OP)

No. No. No.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

For a 16 year old who just got his license? (rough analogy to the OP)

No. No. No.

License? Hell, I barely have a learner's permit.

Thanks everybody for all of the replies and the multitude of PMs.

And a few answers: The seller was asking 500. He has put the rig up on Craigslist in San Antonio Texas. (Be gentle - he knows my phone number. )