chemist

newb helmet question

The best protection is provided by a hard shell that resembles a Pro-Tec with a fancy liner from Oregon Aero.
At ten times the cost of a Pro-Tec, that combination provides five percent better protection.

Do you have a reference for the study that measured this 5%? As convincing as hearsay and conjecture is, it would be nice to follow it up with verifiable fact.

I invented that statistic.
Didn't you know that 73.42983 percent of statistics are invented on the spot.
Hah!
Hah!

I was trying to provide a "back of the envelope" cost-benefit analysis of cost versus protection. The point I was trying to make is that Pro-Tecs provide the best protection-per-dollar.
OTOH fancy carbon fibre helmets are more fashionable at vastly higher prices.

Helmets serve two functions: first the shell spreads the load, to prevent penetration and reduce localized trauma.
The second function of a helmet is to gradually decelerate the skull, to avoid slamming the brain around too hard.

If you doubt the benefit of modern helmets, compare the injuries suffered during my last plane crash. All of the TIs wore Pro-Tecs (or similar helmets) and recovered from concussions. Meanwhile, the single fun-jumper - wearing a French leather helmet - suffered irreparable brain injuries and will never be half the man he once was.

If you doubt the benefit of modern helmets, compare the injuries suffered during my last plane crash. All of the TIs wore Pro-Tecs (or similar helmets) and recovered from concussions. Meanwhile, the single fun-jumper - wearing a French leather helmet - suffered irreparable brain injuries and will never be half the man he once was.

I don't doubt that 1970's technology of a Protec is better than the 1790's technology of a frap hat. The question is whether it's better than carbon and kevlar from 2010, as says the popular myth.

I've posted some pictures of a carbon helmet post impact.
Though they offer some protection imo they are nowhere near as good as a protec.
But hay it's all about the bling.

I wouldn't use a helmet again if it cracked. It is actually more protection because when the shell cracks the energy dissipates throughout the shell, whereas if you are wearing a pro tec then all the energy from the impact is absorbed by your skull and locally.

I've posted some pictures of a carbon helmet post impact.
Though they offer some protection imo they are nowhere near as good as a protec.
But hay it's all about the bling.

I wouldn't use a helmet again if it cracked. It is actually more protection because when the shell cracks the energy dissipates throughout the shell, whereas if you are wearing a pro tec then all the energy from the impact is absorbed by your skull and locally.

You don't really understand what you are talking about....do you.

The ProTec helmet is certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Australian/New Zealand Standards for bicycles. No skydiving helmet on the market today is certified by any one for anything.

But you are going to buy one for the bling…..quit trying to justify your decision with bull shit.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The ProTec helmet is certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission

That depends on the model of Protec. The modern EPS lined Protec bicycle helmets are but the dual foam classic cut skate helmet beloved of skydivers isn't certified by anyone for anything.

Your right in saying that you shouldn't use a helmet post impact.
But trust me and others, protec offer far more protection than carbon open face helmets.
The damage to mine (no longer in use LOL) was caused when my head impacted the pilots seat with whom i was sitting back to back with.
Though it undoubtedly offered some protection on the whole it was shit given the circumstances.
Pro tecs will also accept an audible so there's really no reason other than vanity not to go with one.
I suspect you'll go with whatever suits your taste, but remember looking good never saved anyone.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.