SpeedRacer

"LOSE" is spelled with one "O"

"Djeet!"
I replied with a "what?"

I know how y'all feel.B|
I guess my accent however must have caused confusion in Texas on numerous occassions. I often smooothed things over by explaining (falsely I might add) that I was from East Texas...;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

:D

It's just indicating plural possession, and leaving the possessive "s" off the end, since "skydivers's" would look stupid (and sound even dumberer.)

(Sprechen of which, I can't wait to see the sequel to Dumb & Dumber.)

:)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Ellipses, on the other hand, I love to use...

....if they are used properly, they can have a great impact.

3 is for a continuation inside a sentance, possibly to indicate a distinct pause.

"John said he was a great...and then he left."

4 are used to continue and/or end a statement, asking the reader to think on their own.

....and then Jane unzipped John's pants...."
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Woo hoo! I learned something today!

I've just read conflicting information about ellipsis usage, though. Some sources tell us to use "..." all the time, and some (including MLA), say "... ." to indicate the omission of the end of a quoted sentence. I didn't come across anything advocating the use of four periods at the beginning of a sentence, however.

I like to use "..." at the end of a phrase/ comment/ sentence/ fragment to indicate a sort of conversational trailing off, as opposed to a hard stop. Does that make sense?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

....if they are used properly, they can have a great impact.

Rule one in the use of ellipses is that you put spaces between the dots . . . like so. Don't know why no one does that -- saving phosphorous perhaps?

The rest of the rules are well defined here.

. . =(_8^(1)

an apostrophe warns you about the "s."

But what about, "The skydivers' rigs were out on the packing mat"? ;)

then we have to ask:

y : wernt' day jumpin?

>>>
A good friend will bail you outta jail... A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "That was fucking awesome!!!'

Thanks dude. I shall henceforth bear that in mind when breaking the rule. :)That site references ellipses in quotations- I'm taking literary/ artistic license to express a conversational pause, not an omission. Besides, no spaces is faster.

DAMN!! Are we nerds, or what?? Actually, it is refreshing in a weird way to debate/ discuss such inconsequential minutiae (as opposed to the serious current topics that wad people's underwear . . . )

DAMN!! Are we nerds, or what?? Actually, it is refreshing in a weird way to debate/ discuss such inconsequential minutiae (as opposed to the serious current topics that wad people's underwear . . . )

You're missing an elipse. The rules state . . . .

You're missing an elipse. The rules state . . . .

Ahhh, but there is a parentheses there so would the elipsis go before or after?

Would it be "minutiae (as opposed to the serious current topics that wad people's underwear . . . .)"

or

"minutiae (as opposed to the serious current topics that wad people's underwear) . . . .
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Another grammatical rule is that you are supposed to place two spaces between sentences. Unfortunately, HTML automatically cut the spaces between sentences down to one, in yet another blatant attempt to save phosphorous.

. . =(_8^(1)

Well, actually, many will tell you that any use of ellipsis whatsoever shows a general lack of intellect....

Oh yea... well... just.... damn... Im rubber your.... ummm... glue yea thats it glue and stuff bounces of me and sticks' to you.. :S

Truly, a most intense discussion of gramatical correctness!:o
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Ooooh, pet peeve, pet peeve....

How do you pronounce Aluminium?
How do you pronounce Titanium, or Plutonium?

Hint their is no such word as "alloominuhm":P
B|

(taken from some website that I can't remember...)

In the case of "aluminum" , we can pin the whole mess on Sir Humphry Davy, the English chemist who discovered the stuff back in 1807. Indulging in the perversity of which historical figures seem fond, Davy named his discovery not "aluminum," nor even "aluminium," but "alumium," basing the term on the Latin "alumen," meaning "alum," a substance drawn from the same mineral that had been used since ancient times for dyeing hides and the like. This is all a bit confusing, but we can take comfort in the fact that Davy was apparently a bit befuddled too. Around 1812 he decided that the proper name of his discovery was not "alumium," but actually "aluminum." Almost immediately Davy was besieged by other scientists who pointed out that if Davy would just add an "i" to make the term "aluminium," it would fall into line with such other substance names as "sodium" and "calcium" and, in their words, "sound more classical." So Davy named it yet again, this time to "aluminium," and the "ium" form became standard in both the U.S. and Great Britain.

Unfortunately, many people in the U.S. had evidently stopped listening by that point and continued to call the stuff "aluminum," and this spelling became so widespread that it was eventually adopted as the standard in the U.S. "Aluminium," however, is the official spelling used by international chemical societies. One hopes that Sir Humphry Davy, wherever he may be, is at last happy.

:P The rules depend on the source, but it doesn't matter since I've already claimed literary license- sort of a preemptive "out" to butcher the English language as I see fit . . .. ..... ..... ..........
;)

Btw, an ellipsis is all three dots, an individual dot is just a period (in the keyboardical sense, not the grammatical sense, of course)
:ph34r:

groan.

Would it be "minutiae (as opposed to the serious current topics that wad people's underwear . . . .)"

or

"minutiae (as opposed to the serious current topics that wad people's underwear) . . . .

Hmm- good question. I like either version, as my intended "trailing-off effect" would still be communicated.

Why am I in this office again? Oh yeah . . . work . . . .

I have to add one more that drives me absolutely crazy, and I have seen it being used more and more lately. The proper usage is "would've," "could've," and "should've." These are used to denote "would have," "could have," or "should have." The use of "would of," "could of," or "should of" make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Has "Hooked on Phonics" ruined our written language? >:(

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

Well, if we're going to post peeves, dang -- howzabout "comprise?" Its use is parallel to that of "include," and NOT "made up of."

Or is that it's used??? Oh, I'm so confused!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hear, hear! I agree!

This one drives my best friend nuts: "a whole nother"

"There's no such thing as a nother!! It's another, or a whole other!!"

I, on the other hand, like that expression.

:)

yea but: "a whole another" just dont work and "another" just aint in rednek speek! :P
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865