AggieDave

Saddam seen on gurney

Bush and Blair are clearly doing the right thing.I am getting sick and tired of reading these "pro" saddam posts......give him your kids

I truly hope you are not directing your rant at me, that you just happened to hit the reply button and I was the last post.

The question for me has never been if Saddam is a bad man, the question is how the western world is dealing with it.

I think the UN is going to serve a strictly humanitarian mission.. They aren't capable of much more..

Alright, bonus points time...

Name the alliance that was basically a predecessor to the UN that was formed after WWI (hint they formed Janruary 10, 1920). Now, give examples on the steps they took to stop Hitler and their effectiveness.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Alright, bonus points time...

Name the alliance that was basically a predecessor to the UN that was formed after WWI (hint they formed Janruary 10, 1920). Now, give examples on the steps they took to stop Hitler and their effectiveness.

Ooh ooh! I think I know this one! Didn't the LoN sell everybody else in Europe down the river in order to appease (I meant control) Mr. Hilter?

CZ

Didn't the LoN sell everybody else in Europe down the river in order to appease (I meant control) Mr. Hilter?

Basically. The LoN didn't inforce the the Versailles Treaty.

Instead of taking the time to write out a page of information, I'm going to quote a websource that talks about the LoN and its diplomacy leading up to WWII:

It did not enforce the Versailles Treaty, and did not protest injustices. While they may not have been "provoking" another war, they were contributing to the unrest of the period. The League of Nations may have had a chance to prevent war, but in not acting for peace sooner, they gave up that right.
In the years before World War II, the League of Nations seemed to be neglecting its position. They took no steps to protect Ethiopia from the advancing Italians until it was too late. They did nothing to stop German troops from rearming, even though the Versailles Treaty was meant to keep German military activity to a minimum. In another instance, the League of Nations failed to act against the Japanese advance into Manchuria and other territories. At a time of such military aggression throughout the world, the League had a chance to limit the activity of potentially harmful nations. In not acting, the League left the world vulnerable for another war.

Here's the link for what I quoted, for anyone who's interested. http://www.pomperaug.com/socstud/stumuseum/web/mrcidea4league.htm

Alright, the next question of our bonus round: Draw the line of similarties between the LoN and the UN and how they were ineffective and are becoming ineffective, respectfully. Prove me wrong if you can.

And did he comply?

I am getting a little sick of this argument, since it is so incredibly invalid. I do not agree with Saddam, let's clea rthat up first, but at least use valid arguments.

There are scores of world leaders, past and preasent, whod id not comply with world bodies (LoN or UN) and nothing was ever done. Hence, it is a rather invalid argument to use for the war againt Iraq.

Furthermore, I don't think that comparing Hitler and Saddam is comparing apples to apples, but that is just my opinion.

Alright, the next question of our bonus round: Draw the line of similarties between the LoN and the UN and how they were ineffective and are becoming ineffective, respectfully. Prove me wrong if you can.

Ummm.....ummm.....ummmmm......

Dang Dave. Course...I agreed with this from the beginning so I don't count.

Its more complex then just Hitler. They had the chance to stop a handful of evil men and didn't.

Weren't you the person trying to draw lines throughout history to predict the fall of the US due to its current policies? I'm doing the same thing. Why the change? Is it because it doesn't support your arguement?

That may be the case, but do not be upset that people get mad when the US on its own decides which non compliant nations it decides to invade.

Furthermore, I don't think that comparing Hitler and Saddam is comparing apples to apples, but that is just my opinion.

And of course, my opinion is that it has everything to do with each other. I feel that if we do not learn from history we are doomed to repeat it. I see this action as breaking the link in a chain leading to another "accident".

That may be the case, but do not be upset that people get mad when the US on its own decides which non compliant nations it decides to invade.

There were people mad at England for engaging Hitler before he knocked their perverbial door down. Strangey enough, France was one of those opposing England. So was Russia.

Any ideas why they didn't kill Saddam in the last war? Just curious

Sure, G. Bush had pushed the conflict as far as he could without the coalition of nations falling apart; moreover, he was reassured by the UN that they would keep Saddam in check through sanctions. That was goodfaith on the US's part, which has since been proven wrong by the UN's inability to actually inforce its own laws and the member's of the UN unwillingness to uphold the UN's doctrine (read: France, etc).