superstu

what fucking morons

I'm so pissed off right now with our media and its reporting of this war. They are telling the world things they have no business in knowing. such as the latest development of what are troop are doing and what their movements will be before they actually happen. They are compromising the safety of the men and women putting their lives on the line for the sake of being first to say something. Personally I think they should be put in jail for a few days for this type of reporting. I know part of it is the militaries fault for letting the reporters come along, but come on, reporting that we're going to attack and/or in the process of attacking baghdad with ground forces puts lives on the line. >:(
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

But something I've been thinking about regarding the media coverage of the war since the beginning is about the mistakes the media makes in their reporting at times. Think back to how so many articles about botched landings etc come out as "Parachute did not open" and remember the distance from the truth to what was reported when getting information from the media.

Just some food for thought, I haven't been able to figure out a good way to word this for a new thread, but figured it fit in alright here.

--
Hook high, flare on time

Peter Arnett, now that's a real piece of work, picked up right where he left off from the Gulf war.

What about NBC for hiring him? Or trying to defend him?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

What really pisses me off is Morons like Peter Arnett that even thinks he knows what the battle plans are. Even so, If some Iraqi soldiers listened to him and decided to fight on then Peter Arnett is directlly responsible for addition American deaths.>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
I suppose he will get some award like that bitch Jane Fonda, instead of jail.>:(>:(
In the Grenada Invasion the reporters were there the second day. But Not with us. we met some that had a color map with detail. We had only a black and grey topo map. The reporters were kind enough to give us their map.B|

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

> I'm so pissed off right now with our media and its reporting of this war.

Keep in mind that that goes both ways. After 9/11, when the 'total information awareness' program was started, one of its stated objectives was to organize and feed propaganda to news agencies - in other words, leak stories that _benefit_ the US and its military. Officially that part didn't get funded, but I think there's a good chance that the US government is telling the media what they want the rest of the world to hear (idiots like Rivera and Arnett excluded.)

Information and disinformation. Simple tactics. I would like to think our military is well in control of the information it puts out. I would also like to think that field commanders have let their augmented leaches, I mean journalists, know how the frag system works.

In my mind, the ideal situation would be reporter Smith riding along with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit making his report. "Ahh, yes Larry, we're doing 35 miles an hour and are about to cross the Euphrates river, about 12 miles southwest of Bagdhad, near the Sausage Factory" When in reality, they've already crossed the river and are five miles ahead setting up an ambush, with the cobras warm and nearby and F/A-18s ready to scramble. That is how it should work if the brains of this op are doing their job.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Remember when Geraldo Rivierra had the breaking story "The Opening Of AL Capone's Vault"? I still crack up every time I see him, that's all I can see in my head every time I see him. A trench coat a tie, the dark of night, smoke machines blazing 6 hour t.v. special, and an empty fucking vault. Not even a dried up old turd just dust and Geraldo doing damage control on his "BIG" loss

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I would like to think our military is well in control of the information it puts out.

just saw some reporter doing a live story saying he overheard radio communications indicating that the special operations group that rescued Jessica Lynch also found several bodies. He went on to speculate that this must be the other MIA that were in her group.

haven't seen any "official" information about this topic. Seems to me that an embedded reporter should not be repeating things he overhears on the friggin radio.

couldnt help but think some family members of the MIA's could be watchin that story.>:(>:(

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

At some point, there's going to be a live feed of a gun battle and a live feed of an interview of the parents of one of those soldiers. That soldier will be killed and the other interview team will ask the folks "so, how does it feel to see your only son killed in war, live on TV?"

Fucking asinine.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yeah, the need for control... US warriors decided to take out the main media building over the weekend, even before companies could remove their brodcast equipment. makes you wonder what it is really about.
late at night i listen to the BBC radio report on the war. A larger perspective than the media in the states anyway....
m2

I'm so pissed off right now with our media and its reporting of this war. They are telling the world things they have no business in knowing. such as the latest development of what are troop are doing and what their movements will be before they actually happen. They are compromising the safety of the men and women putting their lives on the line for the sake of being first to say something. Personally I think they should be put in jail for a few days for this type of reporting. I know part of it is the militaries fault for letting the reporters come along, but come on, reporting that we're going to attack and/or in the process of attacking baghdad with ground forces puts lives on the line. >:(

That worked to our advantage in PGW1. Remember how the breathless reporters were hollering that an amphibious invasion of Kuwait was taking place?

In fact, there was no such thing, but the Coalition let the media run such lies, knowing full well Saddam's planners were watching every minute.

Later, Schwartzkopf thanked the media for being such suckers...too precious for words. B|
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Peter Arnett, now that's a real piece of work, picked up right where he left off from the Gulf war.

Also picked up right where he left off from the Vietnam war. Strange how that work earned him a Pulitzer, but the same work now gets him fired.

T'is odd how times change.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Also picked up right where he left off from the Vietnam war. Strange how that work earned him a Pulitzer, but the same work now gets him fired.

T'is odd how times change.

_Am

He was canned because of his blatant hypocrisy and total lack of objectivity. Whatever he was "back in the day" is long gone. Just like Woodward & Bernstein and Horrendo Revolver, he's more concerned with his fame than with journalistic integrity.

I mean, come on - when the reporter is being interviewed, isn't that just a little bit backward?

Arnett's vitriol for his adopted country has backfired on him. Perhaps he'll now vote with his feet and stay the heck away from my country.

"I want to apologize to the American people for clearly making a misjudgment."
- March 31, 2003, on the Today Show

"I report the truth of what is happening here in Baghdad and will not apologize for it...'
- April 1, 2003, in the Daily Mirror

He's washed up and has been washed up since he f*'d up over the "Tailwind" scam. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

My screwed up theory on this is that the military doesn't really want the reporters with them. They might leak sensitive information. Also, they are civilians that are untrained and need a certain amount of attention (protection).

So, to get rid of them, they let them come along. They'll eventually screw up and get the public pissed. Then, "for security reasons," the reporters will be kept at a distance.

Now, its easier to perform missions (ethical or otherwise).

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

My screwed up theory on this is that the military doesn't really want the reporters with them. They might leak sensitive information. Also, they are civilians that are untrained and need a certain amount of attention (protection).

So, to get rid of them, they let them come along. They'll eventually screw up and get the public pissed. Then, "for security reasons," the reporters will be kept at a distance.

Now, its easier to perform missions (ethical or otherwise).

--Art

I think the "embedding" idea was the best compromise that could be developed, given the circumstances. Aside from silly grand-standers like Peter "Tailwind" Arnett and Horrendo Revolver, most front-line reporting I've seen has been "just the facts", with some human interest thrown in. It's the "Armchair Generals" on the TV news networks who are making the front-line media look bad.

A Fox newsman received some facial cuts when he and his cameraman were blown off their feet by a mortar round that burst about twenty feet away from where they were standing over the weekend. Contrast that with "Tailwind" and Horrendo. The REAL reporters are out there risking their lives right next to the GIs in an effort to bring the story to "we, the people".

I see nothing wrong with 90% of it, and as a part-time reporter, I wish I could be there myself.

Wonder if Fox would take me on in Horrendo's place...? B|B|

To be real
people cant really be so nieve to think that the men in charge are really going to let reporters give away vital information that will lead their troops into death and depleat their infantry.. That is just stupid on the military's part and politicians if they let that happen..

The news they deliver might not be tainted but it is thuroughly viewed before broadcasting..

The real reporters I think are good at telling what has happened, or in this case what's going on right now, but they still are a liability to the troops. If a reporter moves to some place he's not supposed to in the middle of a fire fight to get a better shot, he could get him/her self blown to shit along with the GI's. I just hope they are on very specific orders to stay the hell out of the way during battles.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I just hope they are on very specific orders to stay the hell out of the way during battles.

I doubt they need them. Grandstanding on a battlefield is a really good way of getting your ass shot off. :D

Good god! I could tell you stories about bulletproof journalists walking around in the open like they were invisible in the middle of incoming rounds. They acted like there was no way they would get hit because, of course they were carrying cameras not guns.

I used to think they were fearless. I came to realize they were just plain stupid. That's the funny thing about most journalists who cover combat operations: instead of paying attention to training ops to see how to survive as a part of the unit or hell, even taking some sort of training on their own, they just rely on luck and the fact that they aren't wearing a uniform.

God Bless them, all of 'em.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.