Michele

Do I or Don't I

My 25th was a couple of years ago. I didn't go to any of the other reunions that we had, even though i still live in the same town. I wasn't going to the 25th until a friend called me (somebody i hadn't seen or heard from in 25 years). He talked me into going. I saw all of the people that i played football, basketball and baseball with in high school and junior high. I talked to all of my old racing (car) friends. I had the best time of my life. I am so glad i went. Three of my *old* best friends have now died in the few years since my 25th. I'm so glad to have gone and said *HI* for a last time. And yes, i will go to my 50th!!

I think it's much better to spend time with people who matter to you. You had nothing in common with them then, and that probably hasn't changed. Then again, you might find out that one of your classmates is now a skydiver and that would be fun...

didn't go to mine due to scheduling conflicts but I was having the same questions you were, worst comes to worst, get a couple of drinks have fun, you are bound to bump into someone that was your friend and is still cool. If not just have teh drinks and blow it off.

My high school classmates will see hell before they ever see me again.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Michele, I was Mr. Popular in High School. How stupid. Really, who cares what a bunch of 17-year-olds think?

If you haven't been in touch with them since, why bother?

I went to my 10 year, looked at a bunch of pictures of us with feathered hair, Angel Flights, and powder blue tuxes.

That was enough for a lifetime. :P

Skip it.

Any small measure of amusement in making sure people know you skydive would be outweighed by the sheer frustration of the event. If you don't particularly care about the people, why bow to the convention that says these are "must attend" affairs.

I've found that the people that are the most secure in their lives are the ones least likely to go. They are too busy living. The people with things to prove and axes to grind are the ones who attend.

I say, skip it, make a jump, then laugh at those poor fools from exit all the way to landing. :)

Michelle:

What I know of you is only through these posts. And here, you are one of the sweetest, most concientious persons I've "known." You are incredibly gifted in your ability to write and really transport readers into your experiences. You have a great love for your fellow skydivers (and animals, minus one wall-dwelling raccoon) and I've never heard you utter a mean word to anyone. You are not a chubby, middle aged woman here. You are accepted here. You are not alone here. You are cherished here. You are family HERE.

With that in mind, I say don't go. Why bring up those things from the past that only belong in the past? I don't know why people want to hold onto their high school years. I certainly don't want to. I was very popular the first two years of h.s. because I partied hard, did a lot of drugs and got drunk in class under the teachers noses. Then, the last two years, I grew up, got clean and sober, and viola, no friends. None. I was completely alone the last two years. They were miserable, but I knew something they didn't. I grew up. I started seeing life for what it should be. I have no desire to see those same people. I had so little in common with them then, I probably have as little in common with them now. And, if some have changed and grown up, I don't care to take the time and expense out of my life now to find out. I wish them well and pray for them, but today my life is surrounded by a caring wife, beautiful children, loyal coworkers, and incredible skydiving friends. I don't need anything more than that.

If you do decide to go, keep it light and easy. I like what raefordite said-- smile alot...

-the artist formerly known as sinker

Ha.....I didn't do my ten year. I was a little busy and sure as hell wasn't gonna drive six hours to see a bunch of people that I neither care about nor know. High school was a funny place for me. I went to the city schools up until the 11th grade. Then my senior year I transferred to the county school. Why...well...99% of the people I hung out with were older than me. So...they had all graduated. The new school was literally around the corner (About 4 miles) instead of 15 to the old school. The real clincher.....I had gotten in enough trouble at Newnan high to have an unsavory reputation with the principal and his staff. (Imagine that....ME????) I decided to go to a new school and be "The gray guy" for a year and actually graduate. Of course...I lived in a small town...so...even though I changed schools my reputation preceeded me. :D
I still managed to only get suspended once the whole year. Graduated and moved on to bigger and better things. So...when some chick called my Mom's house inviting me to the 10 year....I didn't really give a shit. ;) I'd rather be at the DZ with people I actually like.

Those things are a waste of time. It's a method for losers who have done nothing with their lives since high school to get together and regain their former glory for a couple of hours. Those people you care about you kept in contact with - who cares what anyone else thinks?

;)

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

You are accepted here. You are not alone here. You are cherished here. You are family HERE.

Sinker, thanks for saying that. Your post was wonderful to read first thing in the morning, especially on a Monday...made me smile and feel good. (Well, except for that dratted raccoon...;)).

There have been some rough times in my life, but some of the hardest were during high school. There has always been a feeling of not belonging, not fitting in, being very different, somehow.

This thread has turned into very interesting reading, to be sure, and has made me really think about what would my motive be, what I would want from going (if anything), and if I would be happy with my choice.

I really need to think on it some more. But all who've responded have given me things to think about, and new ideas to consider. And I do appreciate that greatly.

Don't know what I will do...not yet, at least. But I'm sure I'll write it up if I decide to go...if for no other reason than to compare tux pix with Deucy!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I decide to go...if for no other reason than to compare tux pix with Deucy!

Gotta hook up the scanner. I had truly awesome hair. One prom I wore white tails and borrowed my cousin's Corvette. Very Van Halen.

I had truly awesome hair. One prom I wore white tails

I used to have an awesome picture of one of my brothers ready for the prom. Baby blue crushed velvet tux, with a ruffled shirt. I nearly died when I saw it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You are most certainly welcome, and it's the truth. As I said, my high school years were real bad too. I think many of us had it that way. I think even some of the "popular ones" would say that if they told the truth. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the wise one, the right one. Here's a thought-- get that raccoon out and secretly let it out in the middle of the reunion. That'll be good for a laugh or two. Peace to ya. michael

-the artist formerly known as sinker

I went to my 20th two years ago and it was good fun. I didn't hang with the hip crowd in high school but it was fun to see how many people changed. That was worth the price its self.

The ten year wasn't long enough to see alot of changes in people.
---------------------------------------------

Randy