tosca

how to choose a university to study at

How did you choose your university?

I´m thinking about making an exchange year in the US but I don´t have a clue how which school to choose, all I know is that it has to be close to a nice dropzone.:)
Any good/bad experiences to share and advise to give?

How to choose a university at which to study?

Find a school with a good reputation that provides courses that are easy. That way you can have fun, which is the point of going abroad in the first place.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Money, well I´ll try to get some kind of scholarship when I find some interesting schools. If I get someone else to pay for me it doesn´t matter if it´s expensive, if I have to pay it myself, I want some cheaper alternatives. So, some of both.:)
I study to become a doctor.

I´m looking for good education, it´s more a study trip than a holiday trip, but of course I want to have fun in my spare timeB|.

I don´t know what bachelor or masters is, i guess we call them something else over here. :S

It really comes down to what you are looking for in a school. If you want a good business school then you need to find a school that has a good rep and offeres services that will help you in that field.

For example the Izzy Asper school of business here in Winnipeg a prety good business school will actually have you go out and meet with CEO's and present them with business plans, you also have he chance to work as an intern for appropriate positions.

If you are going into the sciences or some ohter field of study then you would want something equally appropriate to get your name out into your repective field.

Also, if you want althetics to be a part of your education then find a school that has a good football team or track team, you get the picture. Call before you go to get a good idea or at the very least visit the website.

Hope this helps

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

University of Virginia is close (30-45) min to two dropzones and is a very good school with a very good med school. So, I'm assuming they also have a good pre-med program. If you go in the fall semester then jumping winds down just as you're getting ready for finals.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Rice University in Houston has a very good pre-med program; they also at least used to be interested in foreign students. There are 2 dropzones within an hour, and another one about 2 hours away. The best part is that there are more men than women, and the vast majority of them are smart, geeky, and interesting.

And they do have a skydiving club.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)