ChrisDykstra

Aircraft Graveyards

There is (or was) a rather small one in the vicinity of Kenosha, Wisconsin. Mostly smaller military aircraft, with some tanks and jeeps and stuff. It's been years since I've been there, but I seem to recall that for a couple of bucks anybody could just go in and wander around the place. I thought it was really cool when I was 13.

There is a big one off I 10 in Arizona. It's visible from the highway and there is a huge commercial one in Mojave. Right outside of town, but I think that is more for storage of out of service commercial planes. Probably pick up an A300 or MD11 pretty cheap.
Not likely to find any in Fla or NY. Metal stuff doesn't last long in those climates.

Yep, it's outside Phoenix. Bet its in the phone book.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

There is a big one off I 10 in Arizona

that might be the one that is asosiated with davis monthan air force base... i don't recomend wandering around that one.......... they do have a shitload of planes there... al mlitary though.....

I am a complete and utter fan of aircraft graveyards. I have been to Marana and Davis Monthan and wandered for hours and hours. As I was there on business, no body chased me around. Noice!

Edited again to add that I went to Pima and spent an ENTIRE day there. That stuff fascinates me.

Chuck

The PIMA rocks! However the Boneyard at Davis-Monthan is no longer avaliable as a walking tour:(. Now you have to get on a chartered bus tour at the PIMA. Nice trip, but is always booked weeks in advance, so call ahead....I'll try to find the info if I can remember.

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Never been to a real one, but I used to volunteer at an air museum that had a large outdoor and indoor storage area. It was basically the equivalent of an aircraft graveyard except for the most part every aircraft was unique, and many were just waiting to be restored. I enjoyed searching around back there more than looking through the museum. Part of the storage area was at one time a jet engine test facility a long time ago. The huge engine test stand was still set up, including the homer simpson style control panel.

Other than the giant bugs and snakes it was a really cool place to wander around. Definitely closed to the public though... way too easy access to some very cool stuff and one of a kind aircraft (many unrecognizable of course).

Dave

Hey guys thanks again, I really appreciate your input on this. Like most of you I too am a bit of a plane nut and seeing all those movies with graveyards is just amazing.

It appears as though most of them are in AZ. I am flying into LA, would it be best to fly from LA to AZ or are we better off driving (we are from Australia though so if you see anyone on the wrong side of the road just toot your horn and wave gday). If we were to drive from LA approx. how long would it take?

Can't wait to check out the US, its gonna be a mad mad trip that's for sure!

It's only about 6 hrs or so from LA to Phoenix on I-10. So it's probably cheaper to drive. Check airfares and such, cause domestically they change constantly. It may be cheaper to fly to Phoenix and then rent car. Hard to say. It is a dull ass drive though. It will likely look a lot like Australia, I mean the hot deserty parts. There will likely be damned little traffic on the road, so drive on which ever side you want...we do. Don't forget to stop at all the cheesy souvineer shops too. There's some great stuff out there.
Word of caution DO NOT pick up ANY hitch hikers. Have a good time. We love Australians.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock