haylee

Houston-area Skydivers...

Does anyone have recommendations for where to/not to live in the Houston area? Does anyone know of someone looking for a roommate?

I'll be needing to move to the Houston area sometime between mid-June and mid-July... I'll be working at MD Anderson (Medical Center)...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
:P
Haylee

That depends- there are a lot of good places to live...

1.) Would you prefer to be closer to work and pay more for rent, or
2.) Live a little further out, say, closer to a dropzone, pay less on rent, and deal with the morning traffic?

I live in the Galleria area, which is not cheap, but very close to work (I HATE traffic), and about 30 minutes from Skydive Spaceland.
I would check out the Medical Center area- lots of gated apartment complexes, and I'll bet they're running move-in specials because the housing market sucks for them right now.

Go online, and look for places in your price range. PM me the names and if I know anything about them, I'll let you know.

Oh, here's a tip: most places "inside the loop" (Loop 610) tend to be a bit pricier...

Let me know if you have any specific requirements for location and I'll try to help.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

ms yowell, u really looking for a roomie? lol, give me a call and we'll talk :) right now i'm living in the gessner/briar forest area, its really nice, but i could stand to move out for a while.

I have an idea....
I added you to my Yahoo deal. And we can chat
jumpsfromplane on yahoo

I have 2 rooms available. I have a huge yard and a real nice sized pool with jacuzzi. One neighbor down is also a skydiver. They just moved in.

My house is exactly 1/2 way in between Skydive Houston and Skydive Spaceland. Flip a coin. Rides are available from the neighboor or Levin or me. If you have a camera, the Sony big screen tv Levin picked out for the house is set for video. And boy have we seen alot of Levins landings. Whew. Sat night we have Levins Landing Hour. LOL

Katy is WAY to far from the Med Center. The Katy drive alone would kill you. I worked in the med center forever as I am/was in the Medical field 99.9% of my career. I know some secret ways of getting to and from the Med center that are quicker.

my email is [email protected]

~AirAnn~

That sounds really good. If it doesn't work out for some reason, you can look up and down highway 288 for places to live -- it's probably the least congested freeway in Houston, very convenient to the Med center, and on the way to Spaceland.

The Rice University area is nice, and if you like funky, Montrose can be fun too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Right now the apt market is hurting for residents. Most complexes are 6 weeks free rent if you sign a year lease.....you can take the money up front or pro-rate it. I used to live in a very nice complex in the medical district - I can forward you the info if you would like......currently I live inside the loop but not in the Galleria area (I think there is too much traffic in that area).....where I live now would take you 5 minutes in rush hour traffic to get to the Medical District.....PM and I will send you details......

Katy is WAY to far from the Med Center. The Katy drive alone would kill you.

What Ann says.

You do NOT want to live in Katy if you plan on working anywhere other than Katy. That is, unless you enjoy 1 hour+ commutes one-way.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Yep Yep, pretty much what everyone else has said. Another option if you are looking for cheap is in the Heights off of Heights Blvd. There are some cheap apartments; however you get what you pay for.

.:skip

Does anyone have recommendations for where to/not to live in the Houston area? Does anyone know of someone looking for a roommate?

I'll be needing to move to the Houston area sometime between mid-June and mid-July... I'll be working at MD Anderson (Medical Center)...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
:P

I used to live in Houston over 3 years ago, on going back to visit last Christmas, there was road construction everywhere and impossible to get around. I used to live on Westheimer and Gessner in Quadrangle Townhome apartements, its a pretty convienient area and away from the slummy areas, and I dont think the price there should be too bad, you might want to check it out. Dont go on Westhiemer for a place, these are usually questionable areas.

ms yowell, u really looking for a roomie? lol, give me a call and we'll talk :) right now i'm living in the gessner/briar forest area, its really nice, but i could stand to move out for a while.

As someone who has lived in this area years ago, I want to reaffirm what she just said, this is a nice area if you have to live in Houston, much less conjested and "out of the way of things", very quiet. I would suggest checking this out above all.

It's nice, it's quiet, and it's a decent-length commute from the Medical Center. Really. Depends on if you like driving in traffic.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

dude come on you should know better. You can always room with me, hmmm I mean ... well you know. ;) If you are going to be out and about this weekend I'll see ya at the dz.

Take their advice Katy is wayyyyyyyyy toooo far. Unless you like a 1 1/2 hour drive first thing in the morning.

Galleria, west U, medical center, it all depends on where are u going to work and how much you want to pay.

hope you make it out for the weekend.

If you don't mind sharing a house with a guy, Flash is looking for a roomate or two. He has a 3 bedroom house that is nicely furnished and lives in Houston between the Medical Center and Spaceland off 288. He is also close to movie theater, restuarants. His last two roommates moved in with their significant others. Flash also works in the med center.

Good luck and welcome to Houston! :)
Jim

Blue skies,

Jim

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the great info guys! We'll have to get together in town and go out sometime...

I've decided to live outside the loop. All I have to do now is pack up all my crap and move by June 6th! (evidently they want me to start ASAP)

See ya' around!
Haylee

Does anyone have recommendations for where to/not to live in the Houston area?

Take Congress St in Houston to Louisiana St. Take a left on I-10 West. Continue on I-10 for about 1500 miles. :PB|:D:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It must be his video. Very rarely can anyone ON the DZ video his landing.

Larry - get this -
These are Levins shots!! They are all like this, just about. He erases the wipe outs. Even the one where he pulled it off with a flip and peace sign.

Landing hour - It goes like this. And bear in mind this is over years of studing his films.

Levin- does skydive it works out or not.
Then Levin opens, and you see alt. on his arm.
Levin starts to get ready to land, no alt. on arm anymore.
Then -fly, fly around, see the ground, .... etc

Sometimes, you can see his Shadow!! Those are actually kinda good.

But most of the time its blades of grass going by at various speeds. Then as a big finish- You hear about 3 or 4 steps or stomps and the canopy dramatically drapes downward.

Now if I were Quade, I would likely fade out right about here. LOL

~AirAnn~