mike99982

How to safely buy gear through classifieds?

How do you guys buy something as expensive as a rig online through the classifieds? I was thinking of having a seller ship it to my DZ for inspection then sending him the money via PayPal once they tell me it's good. However, I understand him not wanting to send it until he has the cash.
What are your thoughts and experiences? Thanks.

I was put in the same situation recently. The seller had been ripped off before so was reluctant to send the rig without getting paid, even to our rigger.

In the end he showed me all the gear on Skype then listed it on ebay. I bought if from there so was covered by ebay and paypal's buyer protection.

Its probably not ideal not having a rigger inspect it and a couple of things came up as a result (DOM of AAD and reserve were not accurate) but I was still happy in the end.

What I have done in the past instead of sending the rig to them for inspection I have had them find a rigger local to me inspect the gear.

Chances are someone at your home drops zone knows someone, who knows someone at the buyer/ sellers drop zone so you can be fairly sure the gear is legitamit.
I've bought and sold gear from all over the world and it's usually pretty easy to find out who someone is.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Chances are someone at your home drops zone knows someone, who knows someone at the buyer/ sellers drop zone so you can be fairly sure the gear is legitamit.
I've bought and sold gear from all over the world and it's usually pretty easy to find out who someone is.

pretty close to the 6 degrees of separation theory...

Traditionnally in skydiving my WAG is that there are around 3 degrees of separation. With the modern internet social networks, you are down to 2 degrees of separation.

Talk to people, activate your network. You will almost always get some feedback
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Are you in the US? Check with Chutingstar gear store, they offer an escrow service for private party used gear sales. I don't think they charge for the service, but you have to pay them for the inspection. You shouldn't be buying used gear without it being inspected anyway, so it's no big deal.

Alternatively, what others said about finding out someone in common between the two of you, and the two DZs. Another thought to keep in mind, is that you could send the money with the understanding that you can return the gear for a full refund within a week or 10 days if it doesn't fit or pass your inspection. This typically doesn't include jumping the gear, as that tends to make it 'yours' and adds significant risk to the gear.

Let's face it, if you don't want to send $3000 in the mail to a guy you don't know, why would he want to send you $3000 worth of gear?

Whatever you come up with, make sure you agree on shipping costs, methods and insurance before you get started. It's a cost that needs to considered, and if the deal falls through after an inspection, the cost doubles, and still needs to be considered.

I've worked with several sellers on this.

Sometimes its agreeable to the seller to use the inspecting rigger as an escrow holder (I've done this myself).

Sometimes a referal to your rigger through the seller's rigger and/or the manufacturer. As suggested, we all know someone who knows them.

I'm discussing a purchase right now where the seller is requesting that the pre-purchase inspection be at the manufacturer... that too is a more comfortable option to many buyers/sellers as they are seen as a reputable, independent inspector and escrow.

Do NOT accept a purchase where the seller has access to the funds until you've got a favorable inspection, unless you either have a reason to trust the seller, have a way to recall the funds (eBay/Paypal) or are willing to take what you get.

I've only had to cancle two sales (one as the buyer and one as the seller) and not been burned, but the possibility is certainly there if you don't watch yourself.

v/r
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Using a rigger or DZO as a middleman works well.

Another possibility if you can't arrange that - first verify that the seller is legit (use the skydiver network as other posters suggested; this also will let the seller know that YOU are legit). You want to ask for a short time period in which to have the gear inspected prior to finalizing the sale.

You send the money, they send the gear when the money arrives and they hold the payment until you have had a chance to receive it, have everything inspected and possibly get a jump or two on it. Once that time period has passed (two weeks is reasonable), the seller can cash the check if they haven't heard from you. If you know it's the right stuff earlier, you can contact the seller and give an okay to process the payment. Note - if you do return the gear, you should pay for shipping in both directions, the inspection and any work that you chose to have done to it.

Yes, you are taking a chance that things will not be as described, and that might end up costing you some money.

You can avoid all of that by giving folks at your local dz a chance to sell you something before going to the interwebs. There very well could be something that will be perfect for you for sale in your local area. If the dz you jump at has a gear store, start there. If they can't help you, check with other jumpers, instructors, the dzo, riggers, etc. A face to face transaction is much easier and safer for both parties...

Also specify it it is a jumping or non-jumping inspection and if there is any damage to the rig during the "demo", who will pay for it.

I believe likestojump had a buyer jump a prospective rig and ended up cutting away. If the buyer doesn't buy it, then you have some costs that need to be paid as well as the $ lost now that the reserve has 1 or another ride on it. A far shot, but has happend.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar