j-rodd

Soft Link

Wondering if any one out there has seen a link like this one? I'm trying to figure out where it came from. A customer brought this to me to be installed on his new to him reserve.

I have never seen this line type with the Blue used in the industry.

The set of them was strung through a precision R-Max. The brass ring is accurate, but that line type has got me wondering.

Thanks in advance for the help

Obviously you're thinking it is a Precision Wrap-It, but that line is new to me too!

(And the Wrap-It instructions don't show that kind of dyed Spectra.)

Edit: While j-rodd can phone Precision during the week, I guess we're looking for someone to confirm that this is indeed what it seems to be.

Haha, I just heard about that today while apprenticing under my local master rigger. He described the blue ones are for mains, the red ones are for reserves. I've never seen one myself, but he described finding one that was only double instead of triple wrapped, but he described it exactly as that, white with blue (or red) stripes, depending on the use.
Brian

I believe it is actually Aerodyne's first version of their soft link. I have a set in my loft and can't remember where I got them. Aerodyne has gone thru different owners, (seems like I remember PISA, etc in their history) and my guess it was offered well before the guy who owns it now. It is not the Precision WrapIt, as it is not long enough to go around three times.

Aerodyne's are now made of Spectra, and simply use the metal ring instead of PD's bartacked little square gizmo. Also, I think the present Aerodyne metal rings are smaller than the big brass ones in the picture. I am kinda guessing here, so maybe query Aerodyne tomorow and find out if I am right.

I have not actually seen a Precision WrapIt in my hands, but pictures of it are available. The line part is really long - obviously - as it has to go around three times instead of twice.

(I have never heard of the idea that a soft link would be for mains only, but I guess it could be. After all, PD has two versions)

I agree with Walt, I think thats an Aerodyne slink.

I would say semi-soft link/textile link as there is a hard part (the ring). Cannot be calles soft, plus slink would be a PD registered trademark.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

:)
Yes - it is Precision's "Warp It" soft links made of White/Blue coded Spectra line with Brass Ring & Silver bartack.

They have no I.D tag & come in a small nylon bag with instructions.

Approved for Precision's Reserve ONLY & for Precision's Main canopies.

Nothing to do with Aerodyne Soft Links - they are made from White Spectra 1000 line & are in 2 sizes.

FYI

Tell your customer to spend 25 bucks and get much better built PDR slinks.

Scary the fact the if you don't tack aerodyne soft link it has chance of slipping out.

What makes PD Slinks better than this "Wrap-it" link?
If you don't tack PD "Slink", you might end up with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAr8PiJiVI
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

[reply

Approved for Precision's Reserve ONLY & for Precision's Main canopies.

Hi Shlomo,

Are you sure that "Wrap it" links are approved for reserve different than "R-Max" ?

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

One is way thicker???

Is that not a excuse to use one on your reserve???

Thicker line is stronger.

"S-links" are routed twice , but "Wrap it" links must be routed 3 times.
If you think that the "Slinks"are stronger, I'm sure that Mr. George Galloway will disagree with you ;)

Blue skies

Well, I was 100% wrong. I thought they were an Aerodyne product, as I was told that years ago by someone I thought knew the product. He was wrong and so am I.. The person who knows the WrapIt product has saved the day. I have a couple here at my loft to use as an example for my rigging students. I've been telling them wrong. Now I know what they are.

They just don't look long enough to go around 3 times, but...I guess they do.

The metal ring soft links, regardless of brand, don't have to be tacked if they are threaded properly. Same for PD Slinks. Gotta poke the little loop end in the "crotch" just below/adjacent to the metal ring, before slipping it over the ring. Actually, it's the same for PD Slinks. Gotta poke that loop thru the little "crotch" as per instructions.

Since I have never heard of an unexplained failure of any of them, my opinion is that all three: PD,Aerodyne and Precision all make a good product; and, the previous posters are correct in the manufacturer's restricions on what canopies they are to be mated with. Gotta respect that.

The metal ring soft links, regardless of brand, don't have to be tacked if they are threaded properly. Same for PD Slinks. Gotta poke the little loop end in the "crotch" just below/adjacent to the metal ring, before slipping it over the ring. Actually, it's the same for PD Slinks. Gotta poke that loop thru the little "crotch" as per instructions.

I believe they were talking about supertacking the tabs inside the riser so they don't rotate out.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If the tacking reference was addressed to tacking the 'the stuff that sticks out', whether it is a metal ring or the PD one, well, I didn't think I had to mention that. That seems like a given. I thought it was implied that metal ring soft liks could come apart unless tacked.

Stating the obvious here: The video just illustrates the failure to take care of one's gear. If a skydiver sees that stuff sticking out and does nothing to keep it in,( by hand tacking) well.............

Guess this subject has reached it's conclusion

I thought it was implied that metal ring soft liks could come apart unless tacked.

I don't believe that tacking has anything to do with the links coming apart, it's inconceivable that they could disconnect if assembled properly.

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I don't believe that tacking has anything to do with the links coming apart, it's inconceivable that they could disconnect if assembled properly.

Agreed!

Un-tacked soft links are only a problem if a rough slider grommet slaps the protruding end a few hundred times.
The first guy who suffered a shredded soft link had merely installed soft links and never bothered to smooth the rough edges on his old slider grommets - that were dented from slapped steel connector links too many times.

Then my old buddy Kojee (sp?) did a thousand or so jumps on a set of soft-links, but did not inspect them often enough.

Thankjs.

They came out & TSO'd with the "Raven Max R" - are they approved for the "Raven / S. Raven / Dash M reserves ? This is a question for Precision.

The issue I see with Precision's & Aerodyne Soft Links is NO I.D or TSO paper / tag like PD SR-1 slinks have. I spoke about that with the Mfg. & wait to see if any I.D will be added.

Same is with the metal links for reserves - they are not marked with TSO mark & Riggers should / must buy the links from the Reserve canopy Mfg. to be sure they get an item which passed a Q.C / Final Process & the Invoice you get is your approval. Same for reserve Soft Links.

George Galloway, if you read the post - please inform.

Cheers

Inspection at all time is part of skydiving.

Always IMO - when a Master Rigger reline a main he should put new Soft Links as well.

2 more reasons to hand tack the main soft links:
1. If the link closing loop area is coming out of the main Ty.17 riser the slider grommet might impact many times on the same point which is made from one line ply & "Kill" to a point it could fail at any time & one time is too much.

2. When the soft link end = tab / ring are out from the Ty.17 riser on the rear risers the brake line can warp around it & put the main into a spin - it happened in the past & eneded with a fatality = no cutaway - the skydiver try to clear it.

I always hand tack the main soft links on Ty.8 & 17 risers.

Cheers