TandemTerry

Skydive Chicago / Lawsuits

This was in the Ottawa paper Saturday.

Woman sues facility for prop accident

By DAN CHURNEY
Staff Writer
Another lawsuit involving propeller injuries at Skydive Chicago was lodged last week in La Salle County Circuit Court.
Julie Meyer filed the suit Thursday against Skydive Chicago, Eagle Air Transport and a pilot, Herman Reinhold, in connection with an incident she said occurred two years ago.
Meyer said in court papers that she was a passenger in an two-engine aircraft that landed at the facility at 11:30 p.m. on June 15, 2001. When she exited the vehicle and walked toward the hangar, she was struck by a spinning propeller and suffered multiple lacerations to her body.
Meyer asserted that she was not warned that the props were still turning and the pilot did not stop the props or position the craft so she could exit the plane without walking toward the props.
She also claimed that the facility did not provide proper lighting in the area where the incident happened.
Meyer is represented by the law offices of Gordon G. Phillips Jr., Inc., of California and Stephens and Meredith of Ottawa.
Neither Skydive Chicago, Eagle Air Transport or Reinhold have yet responded to the suit and neither has a hearing date been set.
This suit marked the second time in less than a month that a suit has been filed involving propeller-caused injuries at the Skydive Chicago facility.
On May 23, Robert Dieterle of Aurora lodged a suit in which he said that he was injured when he was struck by a spinning propeller on May 28, 2001.

Wasn't Julie Meyer's a skydiver at one time?

Yes she was, till this incident. Maybe Maura could tell us more? Maura, I believed helped with the fundraiser for Julie.

I don't understand why a "experienced jumper" would do such an act? Then turn around and file a suit againt the dz?

Terry

I don't understand why a "experienced jumper" would do such an act? Then turn around and file a suit againt the dz?

Terry

That's exactly what I was getting at. As skydivers, we know not to walk into the prop. What's her deal? That's lame!

Hi Terry,

Its true I helped with the fundraiser for her son. She was a single mom with a toddler at the time of her accident, and immediately following the accident, her chances for survival were not good at all. It is truly miraculous that she did survive.

I was not a witness to the accident, it happened late on a Friday night/ Saturday morning and there were several witnesses, including the people who saved her life. I am not currently in contact with Julie. I tried to email her just last week, and it was returned as an invalid address.

Peace and blue skies!

maura

She's probably in bad shape, out of money, and with long term problems from the accident. Somebody probably told her to get a lawyer and start suing somebody.

The question I have is whether or not she's blown the statute of limitations. I don't know what the law in Illinois says, but in a lot of states you have to sue for personal injury within a year of the event. Anyone know if she ever signed skydive chicago"s waiver ? I know at Perris I can't sue if I slip on a banana peel, fall in the pool and drown.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Interesting, isn't it, that she files suit immediately after Roger Nelson's death? What's up with that? Coincidence?
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

that she files suit immediately after Roger Nelson's death? What's up with that? Coincidence?

I think it more to do with the statute of limitions running out? The prop strike three weeks before Julies filed with a day or two before they ran out. Just my opinion.

Terry

I don't know Terry and I don't want this taken the wrong way, but this is definitely a TROLL post. (this will be my only public reply on the subject)

Julie's accident, and the prop accident before hers, both happened a long time ago and were talked about to death. They were analyzed, re-analyzed, and replayed in everyone's heads. The blood was cleaned off the tarmac and the the matter was settled.

Now a lawsuit has arisen (surprise, surprise) and we're going to go through it all again. The horse is dead. Bury it.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Actually Brian,

Terry was just beating someone else to the punch by posting this. If he hadn't, I'm sure Quade would have. But, I'm with you. Lets leave any further discussion to the lawyers!

Peace and Blue Skies,

maura

You're right. I probably would have posted it and I doubt anyone would have given me any grief about it. I like to think I'm pretty unbiased in my reporting of press clippings.

The problem is that Terry carries a lot of emotional baggage not only for himself but for others as well, so he's probably not going to be afforded the benefit of the doubt about anything he ever does with regard to SDC. Too bad, he's hurt his own credibility in the past because I'm almost certain he does have a few things of value to say. However, most people will just never listen to him -- ever again -- because of his past actions.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think it more to do with the statute of limitions running out? The prop strike three weeks before Julies filed with a day or two before they ran out.

That's probably what's going on. They want to leave it to the last minute, hoping everyone involved has forgotten the details, while they've been making careful notes and preparing their case for almost two years.

As far as what the actual statute of limitations is, there are exceptions, like discovery of some pertinent fact, like a major piece of evidence, or an injury or complication that wasn't discovered up front.

If she was an active jumper, then she should have been both trained (about prop hazards) and waivered. Does SDC have prop warning signs posted?

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

Yeah, I know, just illustrating the other side. I'm gonna stay out of this now. I just really hate when people try to make others pay for their own screw ups.

You can always emigrate.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.