skybytch

religion and philosophy...

Now that I have time to read for hours on end it's time to broaden my horizons again. First subject - religion and philosophy. I'm currently reading The Four Agreements, the Bhahavad Gita and Walden (Thoreau - why didn't I read this years ago?!?!).

So once again I need your help. What books/authors/philosophers would you recommend to someone who has never studied the subject?

A pretty thorough and readable book on religion is Christian Doctrine by Shirley Guthrie. It's very definitely Christian, with a Presbyterian bent. It also explains a lot of the weird stuff to help you understand why someone might actually believe some of that stuff (e.g. predestination).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yo, Lisa. The pictures on your web site aren't working right...

And in the overall scheme of things, where does that fit in? Shall I fix it now, when I have other things to accomplish and would work with resentment, or shall I wait to fix it until I can do it happily and with joy?

:P

Nietzsche has some interesting thoughts on the subject, but sometimes you have to dig them from under his recurring personal ramblings.
As for fiction, I'd warmly recommend Brothers Karamazov by Dolstoievsky. You could just read the Grand Inquisitor (a story within the story), but the rest is a great read as well.

Yo, Lisa. The pictures on your web site aren't working right...

And in the overall scheme of things, where does that fit in? Shall I fix it now, when I have other things to accomplish and would work with resentment, or shall I wait to fix it until I can do it happily and with joy?

Fix it when you like. My goal was merely to inform. Usually, my goal is to entertain, which is one of the better goals of a web site. Yours certainly achieves both of those goals, and hence is worthy of such maintenance, whether now or later.

Anything worth doing is worth putting off until tomorrow!:)

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

never let it be said you plan on tackling EASY topics! Here are a few Anvil recommendations:

Enneads - Plotinus' stuff; a bit long if you read all of the treatises; I'd look for a summary
The Tibetian Book of the Dead-wierd
I Ching - Chinese stuff; interesting
The Koran (quite interesting and violent)
The Bible - reading it through is an enlightening experience
Nag Hammadi Texts - the Gospel of St. Thomas is quite interesting and a quick read

Beers,

The Anvil
:S
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

It gives some interesting insights on the Chinese mindset/philosophy, though. I've read severals sections/passages and found it fascinating. Some jackass stole my book a couple of years ago, come to think of it>:(....I shall see him in Atlanta on 11 July and reclaim it.....B|

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!