PiLFy

Aerodyne's ZP material?

I've a few questions for the riggers, please? I'm looking for my first canopy, & have seen a lot of good things written about the Pilot. I've also seen a couple of references to Aerodyne having used a South African source for their ZP in the past.

1) They're now using the same ZP that PD does, right?

2) The South African ZP doesn't last as long, correct?

3) What year did they switch to using the same ZP source as PD?

Thank You.

Kenny

I have never heard of wear problems with the Gelvanor fabric. In fact I ordered a canopy with some left over stock three years ago. I thought it was no longer in production because the manufacture process was extra environmentally noxious. I can't support that, could just be a rumor that was passed around a few times.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Just to be clear, Gelvenor is the name of the fabric company, not the name of any particular fabric. The particular fabric is commonly referred to as Gelvenor but that is technically incorrect. They did use a different process to coat their canopies, which lead to it being less slick (and much easier to pack). That process was shut down as being environmentally noxious. Gelvenor Textiles still makes fabrics for sport and military parachutes but now uses a siliconizing process which is much like other fabric manufacturers.

I haven't seen anything that indicates that the older Gelvenor fabric does not last as long.

I personally own a Hornet, I''m not sure exactly when Gelvenor switched manufacturing processes or how many canopies Aerodyne made with the older material.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I've a few questions for the riggers, please? I'm looking for my first canopy, & have seen a lot of good things written about the Pilot. I've also seen a couple of references to Aerodyne having used a South African source for their ZP in the past.

1) They're now using the same ZP that PD does, right?

2) The South African ZP doesn't last as long, correct?

3) What year did they switch to using the same ZP source as PD?

Thank You.

Kenny

1. Correct
2. Incorrect
3. 2004

The older ZP fabric made by Gelvenor known as "south african zp" is thicker and more durable than the newer slick, harder to pack fabric. The new stuff has a smaller pack volume. Some of the older fabric is still available but they don't make it anymore. I have a Hi-Per main that is only 2 years old made of the old SA ZP. Some stocks of it are still around even though it is out of production.

I love the older stuff and think it is the best. It packs up a bit bigger but it is easy to pack and will last forever. I was told that it was too expensive to manufacture so they stopped production, maybe because of environmental concerns? I don't know, I have not heard that one before.

Both fabrics used by PD and Aerodyne are nearly identical now but Aerodyne has the octagonal weave ZPX available as an option. The ZPX is very, very strong and was supposed to be easier to pack but so far that has not been my experience.
Onward and Upward!
  • Like 1

Good question about the fabric. In skydiving, companies never really tell us. If one were in paragliding, they would tell us.

E.g., one paraglider material was
GELVENOR LCN 0517 (C 17 ) 6.6 µ , nylon, 45 g/m^2.

Edit:
Looks like Southern Man posted first -- and presumably actually knows the answer!

Hi Southern,

[I bet Jerry Bauchem would know].

OK, Rule #1: You have to get my name correct. It is BAUMCHEN.

No more screw-ups, got that? :P

BTW, by spelling my name that way you are part of a very large group of people. [:/]

OK, now to get serious; I really have not the faintest idea. Like everyone, there are limitations to what I know. I find out about these limitations almost everyday; just ask my kids. Heck, just ask my 6 yr old grandson. :S

But the info is interesting,

JerryBaumchen

PS) If there is one thing that I consider the internet valuable for is the information that can be found.

PPS) I had a professor in college, whose last name was Razgaitas, and if you spelled in wrong on a paper, he took points off. B|

Hi Southern,

[I bet Jerry Bauchem would know].

OK, Rule #1: You have to get my name correct. It is BAUMCHEN.

No more screw-ups, got that? :P

BTW, by spelling my name that way you are part of a very large group of people. [:/]

OK, now to get serious; I really have not the faintest idea. Like everyone, there are limitations to what I know. I find out about these limitations almost everyday; just ask my kids. Heck, just ask my 6 yr old grandson. :S

But the info is interesting,

JerryBaumchen

PS) If there is one thing that I consider the internet valuable for is the information that can be found.

PPS) I had a professor in college, whose last name was Razgaitas, and if you spelled in wrong on a paper, he took points off. B|

Hi Mr. Baumchen,

I apologize for getting your name wrong. No more screw-ups, or at least not that one again. :P

You have a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of materials and list of suppliers. Finding a supplier or material question that you don't know the answer to, well....not a common occurence.

I did find by some googling that a Ukainian company called Sky Country made a parachute called exSCalibur from the LCN 0286. So that is one more datapoint along w/ the previous post referenced.

Hi DaVinci,

German for "small tree", right?

Sorta: It means little tree.

'Baum' means wood or tree & 'chen' is the diminutive; or so I was told by my grandmother many, many moons ago.

About the only other German that I know is:

'Ein bier, bitte' and 'Kommen sie hier, mien frau.'

I probably have those spelled wrong but I can say them correctly. :)

Where in the H*** is Abedy when we need him. :P

JerryBaumchen

Hi Southern,

I apologize for getting your name wrong.

Not one of an iota of an apology necessary; I was just having some fun with you.

You have a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of materials and list of suppliers.

I can also remember the license plate numbers of cars that I owned in the 60's.

It's probably some strange mental abberation that science has yet to discover. :P

Where's 'THE RAINMAN' when we need him. B|

JerryBaumchen

Hi DaVinci,

German for "small tree", right?

Sorta: It means little tree.

'Baum' means wood or tree & 'chen' is the diminutive; or so I was told by my grandmother many, many moons ago.

About the only other German that I know is:

'Ein bier, bitte' and 'Kommen sie hier, mien frau.'

I probably have those spelled wrong but I can say them correctly. :)
Where in the H*** is Abedy when we need him. :P
JerryBaumchen

You don't need him there are enough germans around here. But some do read and learn more as write and :P
We would understand you well and you would get your beer and your girl :D

'Ein bier, bitte' - 'one beer please'
'Kommen sie hier, mien frau.' better 'Kommen Sie hier her, meine Frau' - 'come over here, my women'
:)

You are completely right the Baum is a tree and chen is diminutive. But as german is shitty it would be 'Bäumchen'. Don't know if your browser will show the right letter it has to be the 'ae' -> ä

B|
edited for spelling

That was a good question ;)
My only worry is why that fabric is called as "Aerodyne zp" as for example bunch of other manufacturers used it that time. I've been flying 3 cobalts and I'm searching for another one (Atair), Contrail by PV (Firebird now), etc. So why "Aerodyne zp"? ;) just for curiosity.

Personally I love that fabric so that's why I'm hunting for Cob Comp 95 now. It's a pity that it's not made any more.
In terms of durability I don't see any difference between the normal slippery ZP and that one. But the benefit of easy packing can be easily paid by slightly bigger packing volume in my opinion.

Another question is what fabric was used by PV (Performance Variable) for their canopies to build Demon's and Cayenne's as it wasn't exactly Gelvenor which I know from my Cobalts.

regs.
j.
Back to Poland... back home.

Galvinor zp does not last any longer than normal zp.

at the end, they spill out as much air as normal zp, and they just weigh more.

What is your basis for these statements? I have heard anecdotally that the Gelvenor lasts longer but I have never seen definitive information.

In skydiving, companies never really tell us.

As a matter of fact it is not always an issue with all manufacturers. As example High Performance Research in their manuals for Blade and Nitro provided very detailed information about the name/symbol of the fabric used for the canopy. It should be a standard for all manufacturers though.
liks:
http://www.skygear.de/Downloads/manualnitrokomplett.pdf
http://www.skygear.de/Downloads/manualbladekomplett.pdf

just wonder if it is possible to get enough fabric to supply a manufacturer for building a canopy of that fabric on request? would that be a problem to have for example a xfire made of that fabric if supplied to them?
reg.
janusz
Back to Poland... back home.