crapflinger2000

Never ever shake a lava lamp while in use.

Really stupid shit to try #172, right after microwaving lit candles... :S

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Oh yeah, that's great:S:D

You know about microwave water bombs?

EDITED TO ADD: In case someone goes and tries it, please be careful when microwaving candles. At least do it in a very well ventilated room. Some candles produce poisonous gas when microwaved.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Fear not, crapflinger, your lava lamp will be just as great the next time you turn it on. I've done this once. When you turn it off, the wax will cool and harden into those tiny particles. The next time you turn it on, the lamp will heat the wax, causing the particles to melt back into one another before the wax takes off.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

Is this lava lamp thing some bit of knowledge that EVERYONE knows about but me?

With all the "Duhs" and shit, it sounds like there was some crucial nursery rhyme I missed or something...

"And then the beautiful goose shook her lava lamp and all her feathers faded and she turned into an ugly lima bean...."

1) Don't eat yellow snow.
2) Don't shake lava lamps.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

Microwave water in a cup for a minute or so. Then VERY VERY CAREFULLY take it out of the microwave and drop anything into it. Duck and cover.

Evaporation can only occur if the environment can receive the gas and only from exposed surfaces. Microwaved water in a cup can only evaporate from the top of the cup, and that happens too slowly, so the water superheats to something like 150 C. When you dump something into the water, you move it around, and all of a sudden it can evaporate much faster, so it evaporates. Violently.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

So far, nothing at all has happened when I microwave a cup of water for 3 minutes in the morning and then drop my tea bag into it...

I am pretty sure that hot water in a cup from a microwave is exactly the same stuff as it is when poured in from a kettle....

am I missing something?

Do you let the water stand after you're done microwaving it? Do you use full power?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

It doesn't work with some microwaves. I tried it once and nothing happened, but smart people claim it can work. I'm guessing you need to put the water on a supernode in the microwave, or maybe some microwaves just don't give enough power. Or maybe you need water of a certain purity or something.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

Anybody else here microwaved a CD?:D

quite often actually its one of the more entertaining ways to destroy classified software, but its only interesting for the first few seconds after that they just melt...

All the big wax globs turn into about 600 billion little microscopic blobs that fog up the water or whatever is inside... not sure it will ever be the same...

The all mighty lava lamp is a self healer. I have had one for the past 6 or 7 years. I haven't purposely shaken it to get that 'fuzzy' look, but it has happened several times before...and all waxies have come back together to form a nice blob.

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

If it's an authentic lava lamp (not a knock-off) and it remains foggy, you can freeze them. Let the lamp cool and all the wax bits settle completely. Stick it in the freezer over night. Take it out and let it warm up to room temperature completely. Turn it on and the wax should reform.

I don't know if the knock-off ones can handle freezing.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein