Dutchboy

What is wrong with this picture

On behalf of my straight skydiving brethren, I'd say the first problem is there's not some chick with big knockers in a tiny bikini draped over the hood!

That sucks! Can that even be repaired? Or do you have to replace the whole thing?

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

On behalf of my straight skydiving brethren, I'd say the first problem is there's not some chick with big knockers in a tiny bikini draped over the hood!

That sucks! Can that even be repaired? Or do you have to replace the whole thing?

Dude!

His airplane re-kitted itself when that junk happened!

Is any part of it salvageable?

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Oh man that sucks. Looks like the valve and cylinder that came out of the 172 I learned to fly in (I wasn't in it when it happened). They were lucky enough to have partial power and made it to an airport.

Losing the plane you built has gotta be the worst feeling but at least you came out of it ok to build another.

Any clue WHY it happened? What type of engine was it?

Dave

dude that is total sickness... ive seen race car engines come apart better....
looks like that piston had a total melt down or that valve floated and decided to have an argument w/ the piston
either way.... $$$$$$$ [:/]

glad ya lived! ;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Serously. the strobe fluid was probably way too low.

Deuce, could you be serious, for once!?

Besides, it was obvious from the picture that he didn't use enough flight-line to tie the engine together.;)

Glad you were able to walk away, Phil. You can always build another plane. Building another body...that's the hard part.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

That don't look cheap.

I reckon some duct tape will see you through though...B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Serously. the strobe fluid was probably way too low.

Deuce, could you be serious, for once!?

Besides, it was obvious from the picture that he didn't use enough flight-line to tie the engine together.;)

Some one must have been using
a bucket of dirty 'prop wash' when they
cleaned the motor...
yeah...that's it! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I would like to apologize for not having a hot chick available at Atlanta Air Salvage for the photos.

No the entire airplane is a loss. There are many salvagable parts, including the avionics, but the airframe and engine is history.

Here is a picture from the landing site.

721pt_last_small.JPG

Any clue WHY it happened? What type of engine was it?

The valve definitely broke off. Not sure if that was the initial failure or what. It was a Stratus Subarau EA-81 engine. 100 hp, low fuel burn, liquid cooled. Only about 80 hours on the engine!

Here is a picture from the landing site.

'landing site'? that's a bit optomistic! sorry about your loss, but now you can build a new one. you wanted to anyway, right?
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

oh, that's an easy one...Don't fly it!!! A fine example of why we jump out of (perfectly good?) airplanes...;)

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

Eeeeeeeek! :o

Uh, was that a jump plane??? [:/]
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

you are insured arn't you?

In theory yes. I just got some stupid letter from the insurance company saying that I might not be covered.

I wish they weren't trying the standard insurance company BS of delay and deny. I would really help me to be able to move on if I could get closure with the insurance and buy something else.

Man, if I didn't know that I was looking at the head/valve assembly of an airplane engine, I'd swear I was looking at one off of a Type 1 VW engine (read: beetle engine). I've seen that happen before on VWs too, but at that point you usually replace the head/valves, possibly the cylinder/jug that it was on and put it back to gether.

Kinda hard to pull over and check out your engine when flying...

I'm still really glad that you were ok, though!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ohh that's gona leave a mark in the wallet. A few years back i was crusin a S Texas hwy, in my 63 corvette (at about 140mph). And it sucked a valve, the damage looked similar. But a few paychecks later i had a new 350/370hp engine in it. Damn i miss that car.:ph34r:
Glad you are Ok.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...