ChasingBlueSky

do i tip this guy?

ask him if he'd like a soda or something... if he does a good job, feel free to tip - it will make his day

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

I never have. It's not like they make the same salary as waiters/waitresses. He is probably a subcontractor and gets paid per job. I say NO!!

Edit: cause i can't spell.:S

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Have you talked him into jumping yet??

Well, I gave him my last Diet Pepsi.

Hug? Hell no, its about 100F up on my roof - I'm not gonna hug some sweaty guy.

Well, I had a hard enough time asking him if he wanted a pepsi, so the jumping was out of the question.

I HAVE TV AGAIN!!! woohoo!

It's really not necessary. However, if he does something extra because it was perhaps a difficult install, you may want to throw him a few bucks. But, it definitely is not job where tips are expected.

Chris

I didn't and feel bad about it. I wasn't sure if it was expected. After reading Tom Buch's book, Jump, I learned that it is not expected, but certainly appreciated. I plan on making up for it when I start Aff in a couple weeks. I'm wondering though if an instructor feels uncomfortable getting cash or would something like jump tickets be better?

Once you're off student status you buy jump tickets for the ride up. They run anywhere from $13 - $20 depending on the DZ. I believe the instructors have to pay for them for "fun" jumps. I'm a newbie also, so maybe some of the instructors out there can put in their .02. I find that sometimes guys feel funny about taking money from a girl, but maybe some don't. I know that my guy friends always look uncomfortable when I offer to pay for something. I know this is different, but it's also not the same as tipping the pizza delivery guy.

I tipped my cable guy when he came out to turn it off. He told me he could fix it whereby I could still have cable for $50. I have had it for almost 2 years. He still works for the Cable Company.

I did not tip my JM'S (sorry) and I had no idea that others did. I was so concerned and preoccupied about other things when I was learning to skydive, I guess I didnt realize. People said I was intense. I was just keeping to myself due to the fact I took it real seriously.

My JM's never held that against me. They were charming, ever so patient and unbelievably kind. They are lovely individuals to this very day. I believe they were teaching myself and others because they enjoyed it and not to get tipped for their efforts, per se.

Having said, that my JM's should have been paid extra for my teaching from the dz and myself for the challenge. I only had one JM at a time. Not one on each side. To say I was a handful is not quite adequate. Not that I sucked so badly in the air, it was how I communicated on the ground. They were sure I did not get it. (I think)

B|

~AirAnn~

Find out what your instructors favorite beer is and bring a case of it just for him.

I know Derek still talks about the student that brought him a case of heiniken for every level that he completed, and since this was the AFP program it was something like 15 cases. :o
Fly it like you stole it!

Yep, they definitely deserve it. Not only do they provide an exciting experience, but they get the students safely back on the ground. :)