jumpergirl

For Pet Lovers

Also, I have seen people start shouting "No, no, no!" many times, but this sounds like barking and is rarely acknowledged by the dog.

This is correct..and good for any command.

Repeating makes matters worse....the key ingredent to getting a dog to listen is body posture and the tone in your voice....;)

If you say "NO" with a happy tone, it will not get the emphasis across.

Each breed is different and needs to be handled that way. Dakota, my husky is a wuss...If Chris and I are watching a hockey game and start getting all excited yelling a the TV, Dakota will roll over submissive in front of us. Of course if we get all wound up and excited about something...he will too...its cute.

The Shiba on the other hand...heh...she is a BRAT. Way to smart for her own good. I have trained her and titled her in agility. I had to retire her because of hip an knee problems, I can see her getting stiff...and well she is my pet first.

Ok, I wanna go home and hug my babies.....

eeneR

EeneR: I know you are talking in general and not about ALL people who breed their dogs. There are very responsible breeders out there and they should be acknowledged as well.

Absolutly! I am just refering to the people who are not in the breeding for the long haul. There are some amazing people out there who are breeders. They are in it for the love of the animals and the love of the breed. B| Leave the breeding to the breeders! :ph34r:

I did a lot of research before I decided my first dog was going to be a Shiba Inu. I talked to a lot of breeders and went to a bunch of dog shows. Those people are amazing. I spent a lot of time on the show circiut for agility. They are the most amazing people I know.

eeneR

Picture, if you will, a 38 year-old, 6'-2", 210 pound man - sitting in an engineering office, with tears streaming down his face.:|

Thankfully, my dogs ARE my kids, and want for nothing.:)

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

That's exactly why I don't have a cat, even though I would love one.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Wow thats powerful. I decieded not to finish the last part. I just can't help it, I have 30 people working for me and I don't want them to see me bawling like a little kid.

When I was 15 we went looking for a dog and found a Siberian Husky/German Shepard puppy. She was 6months old and the owners couln't say a good word about her. The kids were pulling her ears and legs, I took her home immediatly. I am 24 moved out three years ago a left Pepper at home with my parents. Broke my heart, it was the hardest part. Still have her never trainned her to doa damn thing. I walk her off the leash, never makes a mess. Just very emoptionall demanding. Which is ok.

I will finish the article when everone is gone home!

She has a very nice smile! ;) This is my little girl, all grown up. I will scan in a baby picture later. She was just too cute as a puppy...painfully cute!

Anyway, the pics scanned in are not the best quality, but isn't my baby's body position in the second picture wonderful? I truly believe that she would be a great belly-flier! She even uses her paws like a human at times, so she could probably dock like nobody's business. :) Chinook's smile.jpg

Chinook's boxman.jpg

Oooh...puppy pictures!

Here are a few of my dogs, Ally (the boxer) and Gracie (the english bulldog), including one of the day we brought Gracie home and introduced the two. Try to ignore the red thing in Gracie's eye (cherry eye, basically a tear duct popped through the third eyelid...not painful, just unattractive and potentially damaging if left unattended). We just threw $500 worth of surgery at it a couple weeks ago and will be trying again in 2 weeks, as it has relapsed.

If asked, I could probably post pictures of our other critters too...2 cats, 2 (indoor) rabbits, and 1 cockatiel (our other cockatiel died a month ago at the ripe old age of 17)

Or you could just go here for various pictures (mostly the dogs)
http://www.boxerworld.com/cgi-bin/photo/index.pl?thumb=1&stype=2&si=livendive&perpage=12&sort=1&cat=500&user=

:)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

allygracie.JPG

gracieyardcherryeye.jpg

allyyard1.jpg

ally_gracie2.jpg

awww....

posting that may turn this into a picture thread you know. i have so many pictures of my dog and cat around, it's silly.

i could barely read that story.

8 years ago, i moved out of my parent's house and left my animals behind with the rest of the family pets (dogs, horses, & cats) . they have a better life there - with a yard and room to run. i didn't have the room to keep them, or the time to care for them. however, i do go see them all 5 days a week after work (luckily they live 10 mins away :)
pics attached of ned & niko

stir and roo.jpg

Half of our office was sitting here crying our eyes out at lunch!! I can imagine!!

I read your story and I'd like to post a little information about animal shelters for everyone. There are worse things than getting put to sleep. People think their pet will be adopted by a loving family and it may go 180 degrees the other way.

There is a concept called "Pound Seizure". If an animal is about to be put to sleep, organizations that use animals for lab experiments can acquire them for money. In some states, it is illegal, but very few. Most leave it to the local jurisdiction.

In California, all they have to do is post a sign that says it may happen if you drop your pet there. If you drop a pet off, ASK first.

To everyone, have your animal "fixed". The overpopulation of wild cats/dogs is what feeds that nasty industry. Something to think about. :(

Actually, I doubt it happens all that often. The nature of my work forces me to cross paths with animal experimentation laboratories on a weekly basis. One thing that is critical to this type of research is control. For example, in some areas, we have to go to fairly extensive lengths to eliminate the possibility of our introducing an unknown variable (i.e. dress up in protective clothing so we don't contaminate the critters or their environment). The animals they use come with fairly extensive certification as to their genetic heritage and previous environment. Live research on cats and dogs at the local pound would be virtually worthless as there would be way too many factors outside known parameters.

Research on dead animals is however quite common. Our local university has a terrific vetinary program and requires quite a few corpses in order to properly train it's students. My last dog went there, as the cause of her death was unknown and the vet asked (on behalf of the school) if they could study her.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)