paul.Mcallister

Canopy recommendation

Hi All,

I am new to the sport this year with only 50 jumps I am looking for a recommendation for my first canopy. For my first rig I am planning on buying a new container that will take the largest canopy I want to start with.

I weigh 170, 195 out the door and I am planning on staying at 190 square feet for several seasons, maybe longer. My interest is relative work and belly flying. The things I am looking for are a consistent soft opening, and good landing flare. A bonus would be a flatter glide. I am prepared to give up the ability to do hop 'n pops to have a long soft opening.

The two canopies that I have looked at so far are the PD Silhouette and PD Spectre. I'd appreciate the thoughts from people on the forum my approach and other canopies to consider.

Thanks, Paul

I am prepared to give up the ability to do hop 'n pops to have a long soft opening.

Having a soft opening does not prevent doing hop 'n pops. The altitude lost during a typical hop 'n pop opening is not much even with a typically slow opening.

The spectre is a decent choice for beginners - nice openings and landings, but is not known for a flat glide compared to the pulse, silhouette, safire, pilot and some others. I jump a Pilot at a light WL and think it should be on the short list of canopies to consider. There are many canopies that at such a WL will serve you very well, so don't get too worried about choosing a bad model.

I weigh 170, 195 out the door and I am planning on staying at 190 square feet for several seasons

Excellent decision. Don't let others try to convince you that you'll quickly be bored.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I would highly suggest buying a used first rig. There are a lot of great reasons to buy used. Lets just start with the container size, why start out your skydiving career cramming a main that is too big into a smaller container so you are ready when you down size. Sure you could buy a new container meant for a 170 sure you can get a 190 in it but why give yourself more of a headache than needed. Start with a container meant for the size you are jumping so packing is easier, you will get good a packing but most do not start out there. There is cost to consider as buying it new is a lot more $ and you could spend the extra $ on jumping.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Paul...glad to hear your enjoying the awesome sport of skydiving and making the commitment of purchasing gear. All the other advice in this thread is great.

Based on your expectations for a canopy, I would recommend a Pilot 188 or Safire2 189. Both of these canopies are 9-cells and offer a great glide, consistent openings, and good flares. You should not have any issues of making a Hop n Pop with either canopy.

I would recommend demo'ing both the Safire2 and Pilot in similar sizes and also a Spectre, so you can compare Openings, Flight Characteristics, and Flare.

In the end, we all have our own likes and dislikes for canopy and canopy flight, try and find what you like!
Bryan Cavage, D-19100
AFF I, Tandem I, Vidiot
http://www.dropzonesolutions.com
-Social Media Consultant and Skydiving Gear Guru

I am prepared to give up the ability to do hop 'n pops to have a long soft opening.

Opening right out the door is already soft, because you haven't had time to reach terminal velocity yet. And going along with that, you don't lose as much altitude during the opening sequence. So there should be no reason to give up hop 'n pops.

And you NEED a canopy that you can trust to open quickly, because someday you WILL find yourself deploying at 2,200 feet. Maybe an aircraft emergency that has you exiting early, or a big-way dive that has you tracking a long ways to get to clear air. It WILL happen, sooner or later. You cannot expect to have a long career in this sport and never have to open below 2,500'. And if you control the jumps you're on to the point of always allowing yourself to pull high, then you're cutting yourself off from some fabulous opportunities for fun and achievement.

Having said that, you can have a canopy that opens "quick", without it being harsh. Dacron lines, for example, will help, if you don't mind being un-cool.

Any of the canopies mentioned here would be good to go, IMHO.

I, like others would lean towards the Pilot and the Safire2.

As far as opening speed, nearly any canopy's opening speed can be adjusted in the packing process. You'll learn those "tricks of the trade" if you haven't already.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hi Paul,
FWIW, I've been jumping a 190 Pulse a lot, lately. I think you should demo one before making your choice. It has every quality on your wish list:

**Nice & soft openings.
**More than adequate flare.
**It has a very flat glide.

It's fun to fly (for us Newbies :P). I'm @about your WLing. Being a hybrid, it's also easy to pack.

Hi All,

... and good landing flare.

The two canopies that I have looked at so far are the PD Silhouette and PD Spectre. I'd appreciate the thoughts from people on the forum my approach and other canopies to consider.

Thanks, Paul

I understand the Pulse, but I would not choose the spectre for a nice and easy flare. It is a good canopy, but other canopies have more flare (Pulse, Storm, Pilot, Sabre 2 ...)

Every canopy mentioned so far in this thread is suitable. It comes down to what you want and preferences. I like my Spectre for soft openings, for docile openings & flight, and for being suitable for a little bit of CRW. My Spectre behaves well when I don't!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!