Shotgun

Cell Phones?

Also I found out a few weeks ago that I get 15% off verizon through work. I also get $25 on my account if I sign anyone up through a particular verizon sales rep. If you want verizon and want me to get $25, PM me and I'll give you her email.

Wow!! I just spoke to a Verizon rep yesterday and he told me the same thing. You don't work for Cisco, do you ? ;)

I too have Verizon. I had Cingular/PacHell before them and they SUCKED ASS. Dropped calls all the time and shotty signal, especially in my house. I had to go outside to use my cell phone and missed many many calls. Plus their phone tech support/cust service lacks any service qualities to be called a service line. The most annoying thing was calling up numbers and have a busy signal (network busy signal.) This happened more than 30 times and I finally got sick with them and changed 18 months ago.

Verizon has much better coverage here in the bay area. I get 3-4 bars at my house and have dropped only 2-3 calls due to network problems. That's bound to happen with any carrier, but when it happens once a week (with cingular) it gets old quick. The only thing I didn't like with Verizon at first was their phones. They don't carry all the latest and greatest phones. They only carry one Nokia and it's a low-end model. I would really like to get one of them Sony-Erichson phones, but only ATT has them. I am looking into the LG phones now compared to the Moto phones and they appear to be gettnig better reviews. Come February, I also get a $100 credit towards a new phone. Verizon calls it the "new every two" program. Basically it means that if you have a two year contract, you get a new phone ($100.00 value) every two years. Not too bad...

Funny this thread popped up as I have been researching getting a new phone/service the past week, but think I'll wait until my two year contract is up and then get a new phone for free (or most of it paid for already.)

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

the LG phones rock!

as soon as Motorola sold our company the majority of folks thru out their piece of crap motos and bought something else

i always liked the design of the startac but the software really really sucked...

I love, love, love Sprint.

Sprint is sort of hit-or-miss depending on where you live. In Houston I get a lot of dropped signals. I got zero reception in Moab.

NO SHIT YOU GOT O RECEPTION IN MOAB! HAHAHA! I bought a cell phone, first one in 6 years, so my girlfriend could call me for free after 9pm......she doesn't ever call![:/]

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

[replyNO SHIT YOU GOT O RECEPTION IN MOAB!

i had reception in Black Mountain, Nevada with Verizon when noone else did..

check the map..its about as far into BFE as you can get...;)

Haven't seen t-mobile mentioned ... not too bad, but not too good. If you
go with the free phone...not real good, if you get the top of the line - Good
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I hate cell phones.

I like to tee off with them...

When I go into the mens room and hear some guy in a stall talking on the phone it annoys the hell out of me.

Wanna talk to me? Call my land line. If I dont pick up, too bad B|
Sometimes I'm just not available.

I'd let y'all know what the number is, but since I'm not an "old hand" I'm not eligible to receive or make drunk calls. Something about not being around long enough to be received into the community...

Bribes accepted.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have at & t. I get 600 day minutes....which is before 9pm....and then free nites and weekends. Plus its the national plan...i can call anywhere free in the us. Reception is EXCELLENT. My ex had sprint....and shes now switching to At & t. You can get more minutes for your money. I would say major competition is between those two. Also if you don't talk alot, you could probably get something like 3-400 day minutes free nites and weekends for 29.99. Talk to ya soon;):S

We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
-Johann von Goethe

Sprint in south florida is like beating your head against a concrete wall only without the immediate returns...

Verizon, Nextel, and T-Mobile work really well down here. I'd switch, but I'll be home in illinois shortly where Sprint tends to have very good coverage.

The Nextel (iDen) push to talk feature is actually a lot cooler than it may sound at first, particularly if you gather up groups of friends a lot. "beep, bla-doop" but the service might still be too expensive for the casual user.

After being screwed by AT&T, I switched to US Cellular. My current $80/mo. plan has two phones/phone numbers sharing 800 anytime minutes (plus unlimited local night and weekend calls on one of the phones). I pay no roaming in 10 western states, nationwide long-distance is free as long as I'm in one of those 10 states, and the coverage is much more extensive than the strictly digital services such as Sprint. (I get analog coverage when driving between digital areas i.e. out in the boonies...this was necessary for me). All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Blues,
Dave

Well you should be quite satisfied, the way you call the 1900 sexyouup numbers there buddy :ph34r: I imagine a dropped call would be..........."frustrating":P

see ya at the dz;

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

tmobile is not so great for travelling in FL. in the larger cities it's fine. but anywhere in the center of the state and travelling is pretty bad. If I drive from west palm to sarasota, I only have service for about 45 minutes of the trip. I'm switching mine soon. NO service from venice to fort myers/labelle either.

__

I got a used Audiovox CDM-4000 dual-mode (digital and analog) in good condition with a charger off eBay for about $12. Bought another one for even less just to get the spare battery.

Got it activiated with pre-pay at Verizon for $30 (200 min good for 60 days at a time, just add a little more at the end of 60 days to roll it over). 30 cents/min peak, 15 cents/min off-peak and weekends.

No plan, no commitment, no BS. Pay as you go, and dirt cheap, and there when you need it most.

Just call Verizon to find out if they can activate your phone. Verizon Web Site

Audiovox CDM-4000 on eBay right now
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

GSM.
Don't bother with analog. Stuck in the past.
t

Digital service is not available everywhere. My daughter lives 150 miles from me, and everytime I drive to get her for the weekend, I go through about 110 miles (each way) in which analog is the only signal I can get. Having a phone that can handle analog when digital isn't available is important for those of us who don't spend all our time in major cities, regardless of whether it is an outdated technology.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

TMobile bites. My boss had it, that's why I had to research all the different companies. Because he was losing calls all the time. Hasn't lost any on Verizon travelling all over the US.

For now stay away from TMobile and Us Cellular. Sprint, Veriozon, Cingular and AT&T have the best coverage around. ALL of them have issues, sometimes it is the phone (not related to the carrier), and other times it is the switching software. I've had good usage from AT&T, however their customer service is now almost non-existant.

Personally, if I had to change companies right now - I would go with either Sprint or Cingular.

Ya i'm doing the verizon thing and i'm on my third nokia. The nokia phones actually fairly robust, I'v droped one from as high as forty feet and just poped it back togeather and was good to go.

I tend to be a little hard on the equipment so it's nice to be able to pick up a cheap replacement.

blues

jerry

Attention Verizon users, this might concern you:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/945595.asp?0cv=CB10

THEN AGAIN MAY BE IT WON'T
>>>why cwa should strike: http://www.cwa-union.org/verizon/BargainingUpdateDisplay.asp?ID=100
??ENRON's "2nd comming" here?:
http://investor.verizon.com/news/VZ/2003-07-29_X441682.html
THe facts:
The Union CWA 13000 & other Locals will only go on strike if full time employment & Med Benifits are taken away. The Union is NOT fighting for higher wages (some t.v. stations are being require to retract that assumtion)
The company has 2 CEOs paid 4.3 million a piece and a severance of 53.8Million (+4 million per year for life)

CELL PHONES ARE THE DEVIL

jason

MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Companies should be required to offer "1 free hands free" unit with every phone AND if caught driving with phone at ear(The 90% of the World=blind spot) should lose lic. for 30 days.B|
It's not the distration of phone it's the lack of looking around(try holding your hand to your ear without stopping it for 1 min, while phone calls last 15-20 mins)
My compay sells the "#1 choice" (whoopie:|) and if we are spotted on the phone in a truck we lose 1 weeks pay!(and they do NOT supply us with them)

Attention Verizon users, this might concern you:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/945595.asp?0cv=CB10

Verizon Wireless employees are not on a collective bargaining agreement and thus, not striking. Verizon Wireless and Verizon Communications (the parent) are two separate companies. VZW will not be affected by the strike.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!