Zennie

If It Were Proven That God Does Not Exist, Would You Change The Way You Lead Your Life?

Actually, Bill really got to the crux of the question which is if one were certain that there would be no (eternal or temporary) punishment for one's actions, would that change the way one leads his or her life?

My answer is still "no".

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

well if it were proven that god did not exist, there was no heave, no hell. then for my last couple of days alive, i'll sit around and kill kittens hahahahahahah :S

I though we did that aready.....
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Excellent question. It makes one think a bit, does it not?

Well, an agnostic believes in the existence of a god of some type (unless you meant to say atheist), so I take it you fear not brimstone nor fire then.

Most people subscribe to their own views on morality anyway, and most cristians use the bible only as a rough guidline.

I honestly think the only true answer can be no for just about anybody I know. But I might be wrong.

--
ZZZzzzz....

No, I would not change. I think I'm basically a good person even if I'm not always nice to everyone all of the time. Even I get PMS. ;) I think everyone has to live with the consequences of how they treat others so I try to be nice most of the time.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I think everyone has to live with the consequences of how they treat others so I try to be nice most of the time.

Are you throwing the Karma thing into the mix?

BTW
ag·nos·tic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g-nstk)
n.

One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Zen:

provacative thought! as i've always declared in these forums, i'm a christian, i know i'm not perfect, so i don't even try to be, god only knows i've proven this over and over again. i voted "NO". i'm also a firm believer in the ying/yang theory, i try as best i can to adhere to that more than anything, i know i'll never be crucified on mount calgary. at least i hope not! see ya, take care! :)
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Zennie

If it were proven that God does exist, would you change the way you lead your life?

I personally don’t believe in any deity, but if my beliefs (or disbelief) were proved to be wrong I think I would change some aspects of my life.

ok so in order to play your game you need to know a few thing bout me first!

I not religous, more like spritual the difference is
in my definition is religoius ppl follow blilndly the word that was written by man and handed dwon through the ages! it like a multi languaged game og "telephone"
spiritual ppl are those who learned about religion and formed thier own ideas.

so now for my answerB|

YEA I would HAVE TO live differently for many reasons!

1- if deity was proven a myth , everyone would stop believing. that pretty much ensures chaos! hence I would live differently! I would be forced to in order to survive

2-even though there are NON-believers you were still taught your basic morals through the "rules and guidelines" from the bible....some version of it.
if you say you werent I disagree.
your parents may not have taught you but ther school systems and societies values are largely based on religon. the only reason we dont kill rape murder and steal is b/c we are taught fromna a young age the a giant father figure, from 1000's of years ago, will lay the smack down on us. In a society with no vlaues, chaos exists. hence I would live differently! I would be forced to in order to survive
3-if deity were proven Myth at this point in my life I would still go about living my life. My values have been set from my experiences! my belief is that something exists on a higher level of consciousness then we. if not....what a fukn waste!:ph34r:

4- if deity were proven MYTH before my time (future generations) would definitely live differently. b/c religion is old for drawing the young....at a very young age I was able to know the difference between a nursey rhyme and true stories.even before I learned to read I knew the difference. you can tell by the way ppl read them to you. the old man who lives on the clouds who be equivalent to the fat egg-man who set on the wall.

so In short I would have to say YES! I would live differently:P
My photos

My Videos

could I still scream " Oh God" during sex?

I think that would still be acceptable. ;)

Better than

OOOOoooohhhhhhhhhhhh shitidontknowwhatcomesnextbecausethereisnogod!!!!!!!!!!

- Z

an agnostic believes in the existence of a god of some type

No. An agnostic is undecided on the existence of a deity (or deities). That is, we neither affirm nor deny it because we don't know.

"Agnostic" comes from the Latin "A", which means "no" or "not" and "Gnosis", which means "to know".

So literally, we don't know.

- Z

If it were proven that God does exist, would you change the way you lead your life?

Touche! I was wondering when someone was going to throw it back at me. ;)

Nope. Wouldn't change because I am driven by a code of personal ethics & common decency. My ethics wouldn't change if I knew there was a deity, so accordingly, I would not change how I lead my life. As I like to say, I (try to) do the right thing for the right thing's sake, no other reason.

Of course that begs the question of what would the nature of the deity be?

Here's an interesting twist. What if the deity required you to behave in a manner which contradicted with your personal ethics, but would result in eternal punishment if you disobeyed the deity?

Would you stay faithful to your ethics, or violate your ethics in order to appease the deity (and avoid damnation)?

- Z

>if deity was proven a myth , everyone would stop believing. that pretty much ensures chaos!

Do you really think that belief in a deity keeps people "under control" and obeying the laws? That may be; it would be strange though.

>your parents may not have taught you but ther school systems and
> societies values are largely based on religon. the only reason we
> dont kill rape murder and steal is b/c we are taught fromna a young
> age the a giant father figure, from 1000's of years ago, will lay the
> smack down on us.

I think far more people fear the cops than fear the wrath of god when it comes to deciding to commit violent crimes. In any case, a good many people believe their god _wants_ them to kill; listen to "the battle hymn of the republic" or "onward, christian soldiers" for examples.

>if deity were proven MYTH before my time (future generations) would definitely live differently.

I think that's true, but they would not neccessarily be more or less moral, or more or less violent, or more or less charitable. I think there would be a wider variety of morals since there would be fewer "molds" to force people into. Also note that many religions (i.e. buddhism, wiccan, hinduism) do not have one central deity, so proving that there wasn't one central god wouldn't affect the moral framework of those religions.

I wouldn't change a thing:)
... Just wondering though... could I still scream " Oh God" during sex?

That would be kind of silly, don't you think? If such a thing happened you'd look less silly using something else. I suggest:

- Bob: It's got the same sorta ring to it. One syllable simple word.
- Fuck: A common phrase already and would probably be easy to pick up;
- Justin: That's my name. ;) .... sorry, I couldn't resist. Time for my meds.

No... I already live my life as if God does not exist. ;)

Of course, I don't think it could ever be proven anyway (wouldn't "faith" always prevail over any kind of "proof", no matter how obvious and logical the proof is?), but it's an interesting hypothetical question...

Do you really think that belief in a deity keeps people "under control" and obeying the laws? That may be; it would be strange though.

I belive that any society is based belief in some sort of diety. so in a round about way, yes, I do believe that

I think far more people fear the cops than fear the wrath of god when it comes to deciding to commit violent crimes. In any case, a good many people believe their god _wants_ them to kill; listen to "the battle hymn of the republic" or "onward, christian soldiers" for examples.

maybe but as far as I can guess the morale system that cops uphold is based on the bible...

thou shalt not kill ,steal, etc etc
My photos

My Videos

but as far as I can guess the morale system that cops uphold is based on the bible...

thou shalt not kill ,steal,

Or maybe the bible is based on a system of ethics that transcends religion?

You'll find The Golden Rule (treat others as you would want to be treated) articulated in one form or another in almost every religion.

- Z

I wouldn't change a thing

Hmm, no...

But I would suggest the word "Baby"....

It is Non-gerder,
Non-specific,
Non Confrontational,
Doesn't depend on your age,

I would avoid words like "Asshole"
Not only is it confrontational,
you might just be screaming for a new reason...

Or maybe the bible is based on a system of ethics that transcends religion?

You'll find The Golden Rule (treat others as you would want to be treated) articulated in one form or another in almost every religion.

Ah, you beat me to it! I was about to say the same thing. :)
I think the "treat others as you would want to be treated" is about the best philosophy to live by (well, unless you're a masochist ;))...

Now if someone who did believe in God and hell found out there wasn't forgiveness, would they change their ways?

The existence of God can be neither proven nor disproven. We can make arguments and point to evidence supporting either which, but ultimately God is unprovable, so there is either faith in God or not.

But forgiveness is another matter. We all need to be forgiven. I don't think there's a one of us who hasn't done something they feel ashamed of. Forgiveness allows us to put the ugly things we've done, sins if you will, behind us. Some people forgive themselves too easily, just to ease their conscience, then others among us need forgiveness so we can pick ourselves up and move ahead. Either way, we need forgiveness.

Most of us have our persoinal sense of right and wrong. An ethical and compassionate life can be lived without belief in God. Then again some people who loudly proclaim their belief in God show no signs of ehtical or compassionate behavior. But I don't think any of us would change.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

>Ah, you beat me to it! I was about to say the same thing. I believe
> Confucious was the one to first articulate "The Golden Rule", and
> that was WAY before the bible...

Is this the same Keely who recently said "I do not want to start a religious debate?"

>I think the "treat others as you would want to be treated" is about
>the best philosophy to live by (well unless you're a masochist )...

Or a sadist.

I wouldn't change a thing:)

I once said "Who's your daddy?" and the girl answered "Roy". ??? "Who's Roy?" "My daddy." I gotta start dating older women. ;)

BTW, feel free to replace "Oh God" with "Oh Bill you stud". Others have used that line with success. :)

Is this the same Keely who recently said "I do not want to start a religious debate?"

I am the Keely who said I did not want to start a religious debate in this thread (referring to the thread I said that in, which was a thread I had started). ;)

Sorry about the bad humor a minute ago...

seriously... I have always wondered how the bible could be so psycologically advanced in the way that it details behavioral pattern. There must have been some Very astute and observational people back then. It seems odd to me the accuracy of what is described, be it not as Layman as the psyche proffs would put them, but just as insightful as what we have now.

It would seem that we have actually gone backwards in some of our "comprehensive" evolution