VTmotoMike08

Reserve ripcord cable bent by RSL

In the rigging course I studied under, they taught that any bend from an RSL activation could not be repaired, the ripcord has to be replaced.

Personally, I've never seen this standard applied in the field. I've seen plenty of bent ripcords straightened back into shape and installed without any sign of issue - ever.

Is this rigger new? I'm all for high standards, but this standard seems a bit too high for me.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

As the manufacturer of the ripcord and probably the rig. It's OK to use it as most everyone says.
However, As a purest rigger I would change it. It's just the way we riggers are.

Send me the ripcord and I will replace the cable and pin for shipping cost and return it to you.
E-mail me your info so I can make it happen.

John

Is this rigger new? I'm all for high standards, but this standard seems a bit too high for me.
_Am

Nope, highly experienced with thousands of packs and many saves. Like I said, he's a pretty picky guy and I think thats a good thing but I don't really think I need to drop $80 on a new one, the chop was already expensive enough with the loss of my mainB|

Is this reserve ripcord cable that was activated by an RSL too bent/ kinked to use or not? If you are a rigger, would you pack it? I would say only riggers can vote, but this is the internet...

In FAA Riggers Handbook it says: is there are no broken strands, the cable can be straightened-out and put back into service.

Rigging by committee.:S It'll never work.

I'm not going to offer an opinion because it's not in my hands. Rather than ask here take it to another rigger in person.

But having a conservative rigger is a good thing. Coming here for a different answer based on $80 doesn't show much trust in your rigger.

I've found two kinds of skydivers. Those who don't care who does their rigging and/or shop for the lowest cost (six pack) and those that choose the rigger they want to work on their LAST CHANCE TO LIVE, pay what they ask (often less) and do what they recommend.

Not that there aren't reasonable differences of opinion between riggers. I never heard rigging described as a science, only an art.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE