bdev

Giving it up...

No...not skydiving !

Kind of a follow-on from SpeedRacers post about working to live...

Has anyone here given up the whole 'nice car/job/house' lifestyle for something more 'socially unacceptable' (dropzone bum or whatever).....

I'd be interested to know if people regret making that decision or vice-versa !

Oh, yes...I am thinking of it ;)
---
One life...Use it.

I did it.

I'd been working for a telecom company for 7 years. I had a car, a bike and a house. I sold them all and went to the US (from South Africa) and spent a year getting my ratings and doing AFF and Tandem. I was back here for a year, went to OZ, back here, went to the carribean, back here. I'm now CI of the largest DZ in SA (Small by US Standards) where our club does 16000 decents a year - weekends only. I have a real job, but my traveling time had costs to my career and my Resume. Its all absolutely worth it.
Now I have my ratings, international exposure, and another (smaller) house and (smaller) car - but I've never been happier. Only regret? Waiting till I had 1000 dives before I did it. If I had it again, I'd have gone when I could pack.

Good luck.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Nice story....thanks!

I was hoping to go and maybe to tandem rating etc...but looking at the requirements needed to be able to be a tandem master I'm gonna have to wait! - Might just have to pack!
---
One life...Use it.

DZ's are clans. Boogies are gatherings of the clans.

Whether you're a packer, manifester, coach, AFF I, Video, TM etc, you're part of the clan. The AFF I can't go if the student's rig is not packed.

You will work like a slave. You will make friends with other slaves. Even if you only do a jump a day - in less than 2 years you could be a TM or AFF I. Video may come sooner. Listen. Find mentors. Take oportunities, go to boogies if you can. Network. Maintain friendships, travel, grow, help others in any way you can. It pays off. If you look at the love and loyalty shown just in this e-community when someone is injured or dies - can you imagine how close you get when you live with these people for years? The War issues, and politics etc are normal. There is always friction in the group. Be true to yourself. Be honest. Get airtime. It's one hell of a ride!

t

You would think with all that experience and
travel, young Tonto would tell us some juicy
stories about some of his adventures.......??;)

Imagine all the chicks and parties...
sheesh why did u come back:ph34r:
As we in Africa know - "If you're going to be dumb - you'd better be tough."
- Tonto

In my brief look into instructor ratings, don't you have to have a minimum of 3 years in the sport before you can even apply to take the rating ?

That's why I thought packing was the only option for me at this time...
---
One life...Use it.

I did it when all I could do was pack. It was worth every second. I did go back to a "real" life, but spent a fall and winter living like a nomad in New England and Florida, getting to know people, developing my competence as a rigger (a lot fewer students where I was, and no tandems in those days).

It was absolutely great. And I made an average of two jumps a day at a small weekend-only dropzone.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

don't you have to have a minimum of 3 years in the sport before you can even apply...

I think you may have to be 21 (So you can be sued) and the 3 years may be from 18 to 21.

In SA you can start when you're 16. Not sure of time in sport to be an Instructor as we require 1000 jumps for either AFF or Tandem I's, and that would take a while weekends only in Africa.

t

In my brief look into instructor ratings, don't you have to have a minimum of 3 years in the sport before you can even apply to take the rating ?

That's for tandem. This is funny because it says you have to be at least 18, and have been in the sport for 3 years. In the BSRs it says you have to be 16 to jump at all (any method other than tandem), so it's is not possible to be a TM at 18 by the rules. Bwahaha!

The other thing is how do you define "three years in the sport"? To me it means maintained currency for that time. It could also be interpreted as "I made a tandem 3 years ago, sat on my ass for 2.5 years then slammed out 500 jumps in six months."

For the full poop on ratings, see the IRM Essentials.

If you don't already have it, grab the SIM while you're there.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

The other thing is how do you define "three years in the sport"?

I think technically.....My first military jump back in 1996 counts. Even though I didn't make a "skydive" until 2000. By those rules I have 7 years in the sport. *shrug* I personally only count the last 3+.

***As for the parties... ever seen me party? Ever seen me with more than 1 woman? Ever seen me miss the 1st load? Some stuff's important.

Yes, I know, you are the IceMan of JSC. I guess that's why I try and find chinks in the armour, but with no success. You do realise that's why we respect you so much young lad;)

As we in Africa know - "If you're going to be dumb - you'd better be tough."
- Tonto

I guess i did give up regular life for a number of years.
Was a jump pilot for hire...sleeping in my van...sleeping in the back of airplanes....it was great! Sex..skydiving..enough money to live........but only did it for a few years...and that was 30 years ago....now im 53..looking at different things a different way....what will you have to live on...retirement wise, if you spend your life living like that....will you own any property...401k..
whats the health plan....what will the government give you if you have had no significant reported income for a few decades.....believe me, it seems impossible,(i never thought id live past thirty) but im glad ive got the things now, that ill need as my life winds down.

Hey Erno!

How's Australia! Cuddled with a Kangaroo yet? Chosen your favorite beer? (Just don't say VB or XXXX...) Missing Finland?;)

Summers coming.. hope you're in good shape cos once those tourists want attention... you're going to be busy!

Blue Skies,

t

>How's Australia! Cuddled with a Kangaroo yet?

Ummm. I think I'll pass that one.

>Chosen your favorite beer? (Just don't say VB or XXXX...)

Carlton midstrength is quite good. As is Haägen Gold(a lighter beer but nice).

>Missing Finland?

Finland? I think I've heard of that.. It's somewhere in Russia, right?

>Summers coming.. hope you're in good shape cos once those tourists
>want attention... you're going to be busy!

I certainly hope so. It's been quiet so far.