jumpy

Damn Physics! Helppp....

Well I'm doing my physics prac and I dont' get it. We had to pull a cart along a bench first with one rubber band and then all the way up to four. Now if you work out the acceleration of each of these and graph them on a Force vs Acceleration graph, if the line of best fit passes through the force axis first what does this prove?.....
Sorry for boring everyone.... :P lol

if the line of best fit passes through the force axis first what does this prove?.....

Err... That you've cocked up your graph..?:S

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Well, firstly, what tests have you done to ensure the consistency of the rubber bands?

Then consider parametric representation of linear manifolds in relation to radius of gyration.

t

ahh wah?

Purhaps I should have stated this is a high school physics prac.. lol..

Now if you work out the acceleration of each of these and graph them on a Force vs Acceleration graph, if the line of best fit passes through the force axis first what does this prove?.....

...that zero acceleration requires an applied force - you are having to provide a force to overcome the frictional forces. The intercept should be the value of this frictional force.

Jules

If you use the same rubber band all 4 times, and just keep adding more to it, one of the things you prove eventually is that rubber bands lose their stretch. That was one of the conclusions of an 8th-grade science project involving rubber bands, a centrifuge, and an empty room :P (smart teacher).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

> if the line of best fit passes through the force axis first what does this prove?.....

That it is a non-ideal cart, and friction must first be overcome (by applying a given force) before the cart begins to move.

I find this a troubling answer because it reinforces a stereotype that many people have that physics does not apply to "the real world", but only to ideal situations (I hear this all the time). Physics applies to the friction too! Physics IS the way we describe the real world. It's just a little more complicated than what is taught in freshman physics courses.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Do you hook them up in series, or parallel? How about 2x2? Could you attach them such that you have one (or more) that is anchored closer to the cart and releases as the cart passes? This could overcome the initial static friction, but not be part of the acceleration over a longer time.

Just trying to think outside of the cart. Or am I putting the cart before the rubber band?

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.