skymama

Is hotmail working for you?

I've never used Outlook Express, but apparently at some time when I was setting up this computer, I put that hotmail info in there. So, when I clicked on Outlook Express, it automatically said it was trying to connect, but it wouldn't go through. I guess I'll have to wait for Road Runner to fix it or else find a computer that uses a dial-up connection.

That's okay...Outlook Express was giving an error too with Hotmail set up. [:/]

Hotmail blows goats!

I administer a mail server with a sizeable mailing list, and hotmail bounces messages all the time for no apparent reason. It's the most intermittently-crappy mail service on the Internet, and MSN passport is a huge security travesty ripe for identity theft.

Get a Yahoo! account, or anywhere else at all. Friends don't let friends use Hotmail. ;)
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Probably 'cause us Hotmailers block spammers..

Yes, that's why hotmail accounts never get any spam. :S:S

No, this isn't a 'blocked' kind of error - these are 'Microsoft can't run a mail server' kind of errors.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Probably 'cause us Hotmailers block spammers..

Yes, that's why hotmail accounts never get any spam. :S:S

No, this isn't a 'blocked' kind of error - these are 'Microsoft can't run a mail server' kind of errors.

My bad, I know exactly which errors you are talking about. I get those sometimes when I send email from my work address to any of my friends that have hotmail.

I was able to log-on to Hotmail just fine this afternoon at a friend's house who has dial-up. I still can't do it at home or even log on to msn.com. Amazon, what's going on???
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm not having any problem at all, getting into Hotmail or getting on MSN. I do have dial up, though. Have you checked to see if you are signed into Passport?

Edit to add: I went and looked at the MSN homepage and I don't see anything about Passport anymore. Sorry, maybe that doesn't apply any longer:(

Jan

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Basically someone at a large internet provider managed to do maintanence which changed settings on thier routers.. thereby rendering parts of MSN/Hotmail/Passort... invisible to other ISP's and their customers...such as AOL.and your ISP obviously. AWhole lot of CCNP and CCIE are engaged trying to get the problem fixed. So unlike some of the detractors would have you believe it was not even a MS problem... but the people who provide a service to them. In this case...MS is just the beneficiary of waiting like a regular customer to get the problem fixed by the people who give them internet egress. I am sure it got fixed hours ago.. since I did not even get here till late in the evening.

Amazon

I still get the "cannot find server" for msn.com and hotmail this morning. When I try to log on to Messenger, it tells me it can't find my connection and tells me to fix it in Internet Options. So, you're saying there's nothing for me to do on my end besides sit around and wait?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I still get the "cannot find server" for msn.com and hotmail this morning. When I try to log on to Messenger, it tells me it can't find my connection and tells me to fix it in Internet Options. So, you're saying there's nothing for me to do on my end besides sit around and wait?

Ditto. Worked fine for me at home, I have DSL through Sprint there, but still down here at work (Road Runner). I'm unfortunately the office manager person of sorts so everyone is wanting it fixed, but I'm wondering if it's worth the phone call to Road Runner to say, "Hey, everything's working but MSN." Especially if it's a nationwide thing.

Edit: Here's something I found on the Road Runner site..shoulda checked there yesterday!
"Some Road Runner customers are currently experiencing issues reaching some Microsoft sites, like Microsoft.com, Hotmail.com, and MSN.com. Some subscribers in the affected area(s) may experience trouble reaching the above mentioned web sites at this time. Our engineers are working quickly to resolve this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Pammi

here's what msnbc had to say

Sept. 2 — A glitch is preventing a significant number of customers using AOL Time Warner’s Road Runner high-speed Internet service from connecting to certain Microsoft Web sites. The problem, which cropped up Tuesday morning, is ongoing and prevents customers from accessing a number of Microsoft sites including Hotmail e-mail and the MSN portal, according to a Road Runner representative and reports from readers.

“A PORTION OF OUR customers are having trouble reaching Hotmail and MSN,” the Road Runner representative said. Customers told CNET News.com that they were unable to access news site MSNBC, authentication service Passport, and small-business information site bCentral.
(MSNBC content is distributed by MSN. MSNBC itself is a Microsoft - NBC joint venture.)
Although Road Runner has not identified the cause of the problem, the company is optimistic the issue will be resolved by this evening.
According to the Road Runner representative, the outage came as AOL was updating its routing tables and Microsoft was doing some routine maintenance as well. However, in the past, the combination of those events has not caused customers to be unable to reach Microsoft sites, the representative said.
David Rahrer, who does computer consulting work in Lakeland, Fla., said he had about 10 clients call with problems, primarily with MSN Messenger. Rahrer said the connection problem was compounded by the fact that his clients were getting an error message from the instant-messaging program which said there was a firewall problem and offered instructions on how to fix it.
“Everybody was reconfiguring their settings,” Rahrer said. “None of them realized they were having problems with the connection. They just thought the computer needed to be reconfigured.”

The glitch is among a series of recent stumbling blocks for the software giant, following a virus that tried to attack its site for security updates and a separate denial-of-service attack that knocked out its corporate Web site.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/960637.asp?0si=-
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site