DivaSkyChick

Skydivers with Lupus

I am working with a very prominent and cool skydiving filmmaker on a charity benefit to raise money and awareness for Lupus.

He's going to do a skydiving film festival in Los Angeles in October and we'd like to speak to skydivers with Lupus for an introduction video.

So, if you have the desease and are willing to talk about it publicly, shoot me a pm or post here so I can follow up.

Thanks so much!

Mandy

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

Please send me any details about this, my wife has Lupus and Im interested in whatever your friend is trying to do. No, she's not a skydiver, hell, I barely qualify myself (I did buy her a Tandem for Christmas but due to her health, a no go), but there are so many unknowns with Lupus and I'd appreciate any additional info.

Thanks

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Anyone want to tell me what Lupus is? It might be called something different over here. I've grown up around doctors, nurses, and hospitals, and I've never heard of it.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

I found a good link:

http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/47/11750

Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus)

Topic Overview

What is systemic lupus erythematosus?

Systemic lupus erythematosus, or SLE, is an autoimmune disease that can cause inflammation, pain, and tissue damage throughout the body.

Although some people with SLE have mild symptoms, it is a chronic disease and can become severe. For most people, ongoing monitoring and treatment can control symptoms and prevent serious organ damage. Only in rare cases does SLE become life-threatening.1

There are five types of lupus erythematosus: systemic, discoid/cutaneous, subacute cutaneous, drug-induced systemic, and neonatal. Systemic (SLE) is the most serious type. There is no known cure for this disease.

What are SLE symptoms like?

Systemic lupus erythematosus can take a long time to diagnose, because symptoms vary widely, and they come and go. Periods of time when symptoms worsen are called relapses or flares. Periods of time when symptoms improve are called remissions. SLE symptoms rarely disappear completely.

The first signs of SLE are usually skin rash (especially with sun exposure), joint pain, and fatigue. Mouth sores, hair loss, or fevers may also be present.

Over time, many people with SLE develop neurological symptoms, most commonly migraine headaches. SLE can also affect the kidneys, heart, lungs, or blood cells.

What causes SLE?

SLE has no single known cause. Experts believe that a combination of factors come together to trigger the autoimmune process. These factors can include genetic predisposition, certain infections and medications, and exposure to environmental elements such as ultraviolet B light, as in sunlight.

SLE is most common in women who are in their high-estrogen stages of life, as during the childbearing years.2 While estrogen is thought to strengthen immune system function, it can in turn worsen an autoimmune disease. Estrogen and similar hormones have been linked to SLE, though their role is poorly understood.

How is SLE diagnosed?

There is no single definitive test for SLE. A diagnosis of lupus is made based on a combination of signs, symptoms, and blood tests. It is easiest to diagnose SLE if you have typical symptoms and your blood tests positive for antinuclear antibodies, or ANA. A positive ANA suggests possible autoimmune disease, but by itself does not confirm a diagnosis of lupus.

If your medical history and physical examination don't make a strong case for a particular diagnosis, your health professional can test your blood for other signs of SLE and other similar conditions.

How is SLE treated?

There is no known cure for SLE. You can control mild to moderate SLE symptoms with proper self-care, such as appropriate rest, exercise, and avoidance of sun exposure. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) or antimalarial medication—such as hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)—can also help manage symptoms.

If you have severe disease, especially if it involves vital organs, your doctor may recommend corticosteroids or other medications, such as azathioprine (Imuran), mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept), methotrexate, or cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan). These medications suppress the immune system and are referred to as immunosuppressives; the latter two are sometimes referred to as cytotoxic medications.

Marz

Well wow. Way to do your homework!

A few more facts: Lupus affects 1 out of 185 Americans and strikes adult women 10-15 times more frequently than adulte men. Lupus is more prevalent than AIDS, sickle-cell, cerebral palsy, MS and cystic fibrosis, COMBINED.

Yet so few people know what Lupus is!

And now about Lupus LA:

Lupus LA is the three year old, long hoped for fundraising support group of renowned physician/ author Daniel Wallace MD, one the world's leading authorities on Lupus. The mission of Lupus LA is to shed light and understanding on this often misdiagnosed disease that affects nearly two million nationwide, and to raise funds for the Lupus Research Institute. LRI is dedicated to finding fresh scientific approaches and new ideas to treat and cure Lupus.

---

Ah, SLE - I have heard of it after all. I'd be interested to know what happens for this project - keep us informed, if you're at liberty to do so.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

I do have Lupus...although it tends to only manifest itself every few years and the symptoms don't last too long as long as I get the right medication. I only started skydiving this year at it hasn't presented any problems whatsoever, although I always make the DZ aware that I'm on continuous medication before I jump.

As far as I know, its a really diverse disease which affects people in a wide variety of ways, so my experience may or may not be of any help to you, but please feel free to PM or email me if I can help any more. Good luck!

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

Thanks everybody and please continue to post and pm me if you're just seeing this for the first time. I will be speaking to Andrew this weekend and we'll sort out what we're doing. And we'll keep you guys updated with regard to the film festival as well.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you.

---

Hi Mandy,

Anything I can do to help out ... let me know. Lupus is very closely related to scleroderma ... and you know I have been battling that for quite some time now. I am there for you chicky!

Sorry we missed Christiaans bd party ... so much craziness in my world right now.

Lis

Greetings all,

I do not have an update as of yet. The venue that Andrew wanted was unavailable so I believe the event is being pushed back some. Anybody who wants more information should get in touch with Andrew Staich - [email protected]. I'll simply be helping with promoting the event once it's set.

Thanks again to all who replied. I hope to have something to report here soon!

---