Casch

Does this sound Reasonable?

Ok so right now, I admit it. I'm a fat ass. I just got off the scale and I'm 259lbs and only 5'9". That is down from 273lbs three weeks ago. I'm in a good groove with my diet and I'm pretty sure I can keep that up. I've decided I'm going to jog/walk (mostly walk) 30 minutes at least every other day with a friend of mine. Here's my question; do you think it's reasonable to try and lose 10 lbs per month for the next four months (at least)? I realise I need to make this a lifestyle change, not just a temporary thing. My ultimate goal is to get down to 180lbs. But I realise once I get down to the 200-210 range the rest of the way is going to be MUCH slower than the first 40 lbs or so. Anyway, whaddya think?

I think most weight loss experts say 2 pounds a week is a good estimate. If you lose it at that rate, it is more likely that you will keep it off.

Keep up the good work! B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Are you doing Atkins? just curious. I started at the end of October last year at 260 lbs. and to date I weigh 200 lbs. and dropping. it is not a temporary deal, it is a lifestyle. You should look at it that way. But congratulations on the loss. I would recommend a lb. a week goal, this ensures that you keep the weight off for good. Atkins is not good for your overall health, fyi. I went through hell to get where I am and can identify with what you are about to go through. If you want support I am here.

"Make your plans dark and as inpenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt" -Sun Tsu

rocket

Casch,

At your present weight, I don't think that 2.5 pounds per week is unreasonable. The weight loss will slow down the closer you get to your goal.

I've lost 27 pounds in 11 weeks. I'm on a diabetic diet (high protein/low carb). Atkins is too stringent for me.

Good luck!!! You're goind great. Don't forget to reward yourself at certain milestones. It keeps you focused during the stressful times.

A sweet sound descends
Through blue skies and clouds above
Whispering my name

I am most definately NOT doing the Atkins diet. Christ, you take a way my bread, what the hell else am I going to eat? Nah, I needs my bread, especially via sub sandwiches. Mmmmm tasty :P

One of the big reasons I want to drop around 30lbs by christmas is I'm really looking forward to Eloy and I want to be able to make the most of it...if you know what I mean :D:)

Anyhow, I know that it's most definately going to have to be a permanant life style change. And I think I'm finally ready to make that change. I've already ommited soda from my diet and I don't miss it at all. And I've been drinking a crapload of water which helps me take my mind of food entirely. I'm going to have to take some "Before" pictures soon so that I can say - "That was me a year ago!!!" yeah....anyway. Thanks for listening
;)

I've decided I'm going to jog/walk (mostly walk) 30 minutes at least every other day with a friend of mine. Here's my question; do you think it's reasonable to try and lose 10 lbs per month for the next four months (at least)? I realise I need to make this a lifestyle change, not just a temporary thing. My ultimate goal is to get down to 180lbs. But I realise once I get down to the 200-210 range the rest of the way is going to be MUCH slower than the first 40 lbs or so. Anyway, whaddya think?

A good friend of mine started dieting and working out on the first of last December, at 310 pounds. On the first of July he was 201 lbs, first of August 203 lbs, and last weekend, 198 lbs. His pant-size has dropped from 48 to 32. I've started doing the same basic diet he's done, and am down 13 pounds in about 2.5 weeks. Basically I eat 1 "real meal" per day, and 1 salad per day (without all the goodies like meat/olives/cheese and I use non-fat (read "tasteless" dressing) , though sometimes I cheat with a little avocado & sunflower seeds). However I doubt walking 30 minutes every other day is gonna do that much. 7 days/week we're running stairs at the local high school stadium for 30 minutes (my personal best is 33 laps in 30 minutes, at 134 steps per lap). AND we walk 3 miles afterwards (takes nearly an hour when legs are jello'd from running stairs).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Wow, 110 lbs in 8 months! That's really awesome! Tell him I say congrats! I'm not planning on dropping weight quite that fast, however I do want to drop as much as possible by december. After that I'm thinking 5 lbs a month or so. I do have a gym member ship, but psycologically I do better doing cardio outside where I'm actually going somewhere. And I already have enough muscle for now, so weight training is out for now.

Once I get to 200 I'm going to start incorporating some circuit training and such.

Ok... I gots to chime in... you KNOW and everyone who I have jumped with KNOWS I am a big girl. I got on a scale at the beginning of this year and said NO MORE....since then I lost about 25 pounds right off the bat from the time I decided to start jumping again... and since then its been a total of 55 pounds gone poof... Now I have to say this is endangering my position of continually being in the base. It is also going to make my entry into speed skydiving a harder discipline...I would hate to think I have maxed out at 253MPH doing the dirt dart dive.

I think the secret is number one.. what dont go in the mouth does not have to come off the body the hard way.
I am not on an Atkins diet but I have limited the amount of carbohydrates such as sugar and bread.. and PASTA...oh that hurts....no more ice cream....OH THAT HURTS MORE....Pastries....waaaaaahhh. And diet drinks and water are FAR better for you than SUGARFILLED soda of ANY brand.

I have been exercising more.... with the eating less.

I am planning on getting more of me to dissapear.. but its hard at this point...and DAYUM.. I keep upsizing my canopy.... as I get better at flying it.. its going slower and slower... Now I am going to have to buy a nice tight skychickie suit this winter from Bev Suits.... and go out of the airplane as a late diver on bigways...and sheesh.. a new canopy.. in the sub 200 Sq Ft range as well. Hey its only money...but GOD do I feel good.

Amazon

One way to get your carbs, if that's what it takes to make you feel satisfied, is to make them all as complex and high-bulk as you can. Not just whole-wheat bread, but the oatmeal/wheatberry bread. But without the butter -- put a little apple button on instead. Eat whole-wheat pasta if you have to eat pasta; brown rice (my favorite), beans. They're all filling, and they take more effort for your body to digest. And eat them slowly -- particularly with foods like this, your stomach will start telling you it's full. Gassy foods (cabbage, too) are good for that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Resistance training!! Lift some weights. Yes it's time consuming and it hurts if you do it right. But a lb of lean muscle burns 300 calories at rest. Or something like that.
Time to go deadlift..bye!!
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

10 pounds a month is on the edge of reasonable. The rule is, if you're losing more than 2 pounds a week, you're probably losing muscle as well as fat. It's also hard to maintain a loss rate as fast as 10 pounds per month.

I'm trying to lose the weight I gained during and after a broken leg recovery, and I'm shooting for 8 pounds a month, using Body-for Life.But my main goal is to fit into the clothes I used to wear -- the weight is secondary.

I have 40 pounds to lose, so I know what you're going through, and I wish you luck! You're right to think of it as a lifestyle change. I lost 20# on BFL last year before breaking my leg. I learned that when you go back to your bad eating habits, the weight comes back, with extra. Don't let that happen to you!

Good luck and be healthy!

CASH,

Just to let you know, in June of '01 I was 5'8 and weighed 250. Today i got on the scale and weighed in at 174. I did it with my own variation of the Atkins diet. Ive always been a meat eater so that wasnt the hard part, but i always ate potatoes with every meal. First i eliminated all the carbs out of my diet for 6 days, on the 7th you can eat whatever you want, but in moderation. Im glad to see that you quit drinking soda, but if you have the craving, drink diet (Diet DR. Pepper is the closest to a "loaded" soda i have found). Keep walking and increase the speed until you get down to a comfortable weight to run at. These things worked for me.

Good luck
KAI

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Weight Loss
Beginning Weight: 272 lbs
Week 1: 265
Week 2: 259.5
Week 3: 251

One week since my original posting, and 8.5 lbs are gone. I've had nothing to drink but water for 2 weeks. I'm addicted to the stuff. I've had a bunch of sub sandwiches from a local shop called Phill's 1500 Subs...best subs ever! And I've been having cherios for breakfast. I had one splurge day where I had a couple hershey bars...mmm good. I haven't had one of those in several months. Then last night I rewarded myself with dinner at Chang's Mongolian Grill. I think I'll update this thread weekly :P