mailin

When is it too cold to jump?

hummm... lets see. I have never NOT jumped cuz of cold. I have a pilot on video saying is 30 below out side, I have exited in a blizzard (only at altitude) and been asked by a pilot "ice or no ice?"
I hate it, but I love to skydive more?!:D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

NEVER!!! I've seen guys jump in snow, and I've jumped in thick frost. ;) Just wear long johns, lots of layers, gloves, and something over your neck. It'll be cold, but damn, it's worth it, and snow is so pretty under canopy!!!

Yea, sometimes there is nothing more beautiful than being on the first load of a cold winter morning before the sun has had a chance to melt the morning frost. The view is amazing, and this is coming from a guy that hates the cold.

I've also found that canopies open softer and the control is very crisp!

Sounds good to me! They only jump to Thanksgiving anyway up here, so I have to hurry up and get as many jumps in as $$ will allow.

Hope they have some gloves I can wear....

Thanks for all the good advice everyone!
Jennifer
Arianna Frances

Just another tip on the gloves... if you're not already used to wearing them, don't just borrow some if they don't fit perfect!

If you have small hands, go to a sports store and go to the youth section and look for tacified football gloves. They're the best!

Neuman makes winterized sport gloves but I can never find them small enough for me.B|

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

This is true!! It's a fact that winter has the smoothest air for flying planes, and naturally, it'd be even more perfect for flying canopies!! You get LOTS more lift because of the air, so could you imagine flying a highly loaded xbraced canopy pulling a hard 270 front riser turn and carving across a frozen pond?!?!?! WHOA!!!!!!!!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

This is true!! It's a fact that winter has the smoothest air for flying planes, and naturally, it'd be even more perfect for flying canopies!! You get LOTS more lift because of the air, so could you imagine flying a highly loaded xbraced canopy pulling a hard 270 front riser turn and carving across a frozen pond?!?!?! WHOA!!!!!!!!! B|

Wow, cool mental image!
Now take that same image and add in going for the cool toe drag.

OUCH!

Gimmie warm (and I'm in Wisconsin)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

It is too cold to jump when the plane cannot fly.

Otherwise, layer up with good undies and GET OUT!

ColdGear from UnderArmour, two sets when it's below freezing, plus a stretch fleece union suit that's normally worn under chest waders.

Toasty.

Wow, cool mental image!

OUCH!

Gimmie warm (and I'm in Wisconsin)

Slide, slide, slippety slide!!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I have become somewhat of a cold weather wussy. I only jump when i feel like it in the winter. My first few years of jumping, i'd be one of the crazy ones on every freakin load freezin my ass off. Now i've become more choosy. When i do go up in super cold weater, i slip those little had warmer thingies in my gloves. They're a godsend!! I can actually feel my fingers under canopy.

Edited to add: When it's super cold outside, it's kinda fun to be all snuggled up with a super hot FF boy....like wrongway....:)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

OK. If you get the bottoms, the tops, the union suit, and the balaklava (and the winter tacky gloves that katie mentioned, WITH liners, you'll be able to jump any time the sky permits.

Some of the women's stuff is on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0009687&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search

What if you are allegeric to Latex??????????:( You think vinyl ones work as well?

We won't get into all the other things that prohibit me from using latex.....

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

What if you are allegeric to Latex??????????:( You think vinyl ones work as well?

We won't get into all the other things that prohibit me from using latex.....

Nah!!! forget that, get a cool pair of MILITARY gloves, I own a pair of them (for NAVY gunners) they are SWEET!!!

Wow, cool mental image!

No, Jim, that would be the COLD toe drag. And... you might find the swoop pond frozen to the bottom making a chow that much more painful :o.

Frozen ground is not at all forgiving but I would love to try a no-flare downwinder on a ski hill that was covered in a couple feet of powder ... I never was any good at powder skiing - always kept sinking in - bet the chute would make for a real cool swoop

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

The way i swoop, I need about 15 feet in depth of fresh powder.

"Come and dig me out when you see my pilot chute stop moving, MMMMkay?"
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

OK. If you get the bottoms, the tops, the union suit, and the balaklava (and the winter tacky gloves that katie mentioned, WITH liners, you'll be able to jump any time the sky permits.

Some of the women's stuff is on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0009687&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search

Check this out as well:
http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?product_id=25235&nv=2|21472|680&cm_cg=C680&tid=&c=&sc=&lp=v1i012

and

http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?product_id=25234&nv=2|21472|680&cm_cg=C680&tid=&c=&sc=&lp=v1i011

The warmest gloves I ever jumped were Isotoner "driving" gloves - stretchy nylon with a Thinsulate lining. Lots of feel, and kept my fingers toasty down to about 30 degrees F. Only downside was they wore out pretty fast.

If it turns out that everyone in FL lied to me about winter not being cold I'll be getting another pair. ;)

yes. I use them under my plain old Neumann football gloves in the winter...works like a charm.

That way I can still have all the grip I need for doing 4-way, and my hands don't freeze.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

It gets chilly but chilly for us is nothing compared to the northern dzs. There is a two or three week period usually around new year's that I boycott jumping just because I'm so spoiled I don't want to bother with heavier clothes and gloves. Spoiled Rotten - you will be too!

Wow, cool mental image!

No, Jim, that would be the COLD toe drag. And... you might find the swoop pond frozen to the bottom making a chow that much more painful :o.

Frozen ground is not at all forgiving but I would love to try a no-flare downwinder on a ski hill that was covered in a couple feet of powder ... I never was any good at powder skiing - always kept sinking in - bet the chute would make for a real cool swoop

Dave

I jump near a ski hill, I bet it would be fun to come zipping along and just fly down the hill, doubt they have any hills steep enough though to fly the full length, but it would be fun if you could.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka