kansasskydiver

Would you have cut away?

Just curious to see what others would have done in my situation.

Over the weekend I got a toggle that wouldn't release from the eyelet (design flaw now that I look at it) I was able to unstow the brake from the keeps, but imediately after that, the canopy dove to the left. I reacted by pulling both down to "release the brakes" and spun myself up a half twist.

Comp Cobalt 170 loaded at 1.5.

At 2k the thought process went thru my mind to cutaway. I won't say what I did though, just curious

Added: The eyelet never released even after attempted to unstow it
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Amy has landed her canopy (loaded around 1.3 to 1) that way twice with no problems. It may have been a factor in at least two fatalities I can think of. I think it's like any other problem - if you can control the canopy (i.e. turn right and left, fly straight, and flare) you can land it. If not get rid of it.

Had a similar situation and I knew where I was and it (the problem) had 2 more seconds to be fixed before I chopped. Chop would have happend at 1500 - hypotheticaly (based on my video of alti showing @ 1600). Could have landed it using opposite input, but would not have wanted to stick around and find out.

I would have cutaway myself, but due to the loading of the canopy. I had a really similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago and landed it via rear risers.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

It all depends on how high I was and if I could fly it straight and if I had the money to pay for a repack or not...and since I can't afford anything at this moment I would have done everything I could to just land it...I have medical insurance, so being in the hospital would be ok for me, at least I would get three meals a day there....Ok I am just kidding, but... It really would depend on altitude, speed and if I could fly it straight and all that, but more than likely on my 135 I would just chop it and land my reserve. I hate being hurt, because I hate being grounded and unable to fly...a repack only takes an hour or so.

in the immortal words of a certian AFF instructor/ base jumper/ good guy.
"Chop that shit!" this after I landed one w/ a control line blown up at the cascade.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Chopchop.

Turning = 'alti check and try for a bit longer'. Diving = bad an chop it.

I have little experience at diving canopies and none with spinning mals. I did, however, pull a bonehead one day and routed the excess brake line wrong on a Sabre 2. One brake fired and the other didn't. As this was a loaner rig I really didn't want to chop it, and I sure didn't want to get in over my head with altitude issues (though I normally fly 'his' reserve as a main). Counter steering gave me enough stability to sort out the entanglement and fire the other brake and then life was good. The whole episode took about 500 feet.

If I had pulled at my normal deployment altitude rather than high I might well not have had much to decide. The faster you go the faster you need to be.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

if my canopy isn't S.S.S. (square, steerable & stable) by my harddeck @ 1800' AGL, (utilizing the try once, try twice, cha-chink) i'll chop it and swap it! ;) glad you made it allright. imo a lot of jumpers get into trouble thinking about what they're going to do next if something like this happens. if anyone even thinks they're going to run out of altitude dealing with a mal, it's time to go to plan "B"
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I've had brake lines snap twice when opening.....both times landed with rear risers. I practice with risers up high all the time, which is why I felt comfortable.

Plus, my mindset has always been that my main would have to be in flames before I'd chop it.....if I can control it, I'm landing it. Obviously, everyone has their own scenarios in their own heads....this was just mine.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I think everyone should see Eric Butts' video of his double mal he had a while back.

He broke a brake line, chopped it and had a lineover on his reserve. He got it cleared at about 200ft...a nice combination of skill and a shitload of luck.

Remember, if you *can* land it safely, I think you should. Even with a broken brake line, the canopy is still VERY controlable. Now, if you're having to hold input, is it really steerable? Well...not so much.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just to make sure I understand the situation right....
You have one brake unstowed, and one that won't unstow.
You have a half line twist and a canopy diving to the left..which makes me think its your left toggle that won't unstow.
So, diving spinning canopy with a breakline issue.....
your passing 2000' CHOP IT!!!

And yes I have seen Eric Butts' video of a double mal......scary F-in shit!!

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

So you tried to clear the first problem and then you spun up going to your hard deck. Chop! Don't spend the rest of your life tring to fix shit. If you got unspun below your hard deck. Go home and read about all your dead friends that were not so lucky. If you got a landable camopy by your hard deck, good for you.[:/]

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...