tsalnukt

changing quick ejectors on tandem harness

I don't know what you mean by the "double back". Are you talking about the harness webbing that goes through the slot in the hardware? That's much more than just E thread. Master rigger work. Heavy duty sewing machine.

Is it just the ejector itself that's bad, but the harness hardware is okay? If so, you can punch out the pin that acts as the pivot point for the gate mechanism, and just replace the gate, and install a new pin. Tricky, but can be done.

All foldbacks are normally secured by heavy stiching like type 3 or 5 nylon thread. Normal e40 thread is not sufficient. And that is work for a master rigger.
What is the actual problem with the quick ejector? Is it for the side connectors or for the main attachment point for the shoulders?

Over the years some fold backs have been done with e thread on other rigs. Even risers have been made with e thread.

But you may not be able to get the webbing under a lighter machine. Even if you can you should replicate the factory construction. Find someone with a harness machine.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I don't know how thick the roll is. On the old Strong rigs I delt with it was 3 folds rather then two. It was sewn with five cord and undoubtedly concidered a structual part of the harness.

When I showed up there we had a number that were bad. It was all broken springs. I gave Erni the standard mill spec part number, the number for DJ designs, and the name of the woman to speak to there and told him how many to order. He made the mistake of calling strong and asking them to send us some. They gave him this big line of bull about how it was a propriatary part and could only be supplied by them and you could not get them from any where else etc, etc, bla bla bla. Maybe they frogot that it was stamped with a MS patern number. Maybe thay didn't think we knew what that ment. Maybe it really is something specal built just for them and happioned to be stamped with the same number. And how the harness would have to be shipped in and rebuilt there and how there would be a x week turn around because of the back log of matanance that they were haveing to do. I might point out that depending on whether or not there is a buffer strip rolled in all of those foldes you can generally pull the roll through with a good pair of pliers or vice grips. with out unstiching it.

So basically what was in truth a very quick and basic slip on fix turned in to a major hassel. I still don't buy there BS but the SB they put out certinly allows them to designate them selves as the only source for that hard ware and in fact it's hard to argue as in theory it allows then to maintain matereals tracking of the hard ware on that harness.

I'm not telling you what to do, but that's the run around they gave Erni when he called them and you can bet that that will be their line if something ever happions.

It's just another of my god damn Strong Enterprises pain in the ass stories.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Yes, when I worked at Rigging Innovations, we used to sew some of the strap ends with E-Thread (8.5 pounds tensile strength), but we used a zig-zag stitch and a heavy-duty sewing machine with a high-lift presser foot.
I forget whether we used 304 (single throw) or 208 (double-throw) zig-zag.
If you can get enough stitches of E-Thread in, it can equal the strength of 5-cord.

Trivia point, R.I. TSOed the Flexon harness - mostly held together with bar-tacks - back in 1991. The Flexon harness survived all the drop tests, but they could not convince a sewing machine to last on the production line.

HOWEVER, if a student ever gets hurt - and they drag you into court - and the stitch pattern looks different than the factory pattern - you stand alone in court.