GLIDEANGLE

EXAMINE THE LANDING ZONE!

I was a dummy.

It was my first visit to a new drop zone. I got a briefing from the staff about the landing zone with a review of an aerial photo. The hazards in and near the LZ were pointed out to me on the photo. The LZ could not be seen from the manifest, prep, or loading areas. I FAILED TO WALK OVER AND LOOK AT THE LZ BEFORE BOARDING THE PLANE.

Under canopy, I discovered that the LZ was smaller than I expected and the hazards were more challenging than I expected. :o[:/]:| The subsequent rush of adrenalin through my veins did nothing to help my decision making or fine motor skills.

I landed with no harm to any people or equipment. :)
Lesson learned… EXAMINE THE LANDING ZONE BEFORE GETTING ON THE PLANE! :$

Blue Skies

Dummy
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

And also get a briefing about safe alternate landing zones. Which farm field has bulls, which areas have wire crossing not along a road. Which over grown field is littered with stumps and brush under the grass, etc. Landing off the airport used to be common with visual spots, smaller DZ's, lower opening altitudes, lower performance of even round canopys.

Also ask which way jump run is going to be. It MAY be upwind. Some DZ's have used or routinely use crosswind or other jumpruns. That way you may be able to concentrate to on up wind or down wind hazards. Also you'll know that the wind may NOT be blowing directily toward the DZ as usual during training. For instance I jumped in Kundle, Austria in the middle of the Inn Valley. About 2 km wide with a river, an autobahn, a regional highway, a railroad between mountains that rose to several thousand feet on each side. I was somewhat concerned about jumpruns across the valley but was quickly assured that ALL jump runs were up the valley, no matter the wind direction.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hehehehehe... I found that lesson out the hard way the first time I jumped at Mile Hi. I got a great briefing by the staff regarding outs, hazards, landing patterns, etc. They just never mentioned the 8 billion prairie dog holes in the area! :)

And sometimes, even when you do review the aerial photo, talk to the instructors, and walk the field it's still a mind-blower.

The first time I jumped at Aerohio I exited and said, "where the hell is this place.." Cornfield, in the middle of a cornfield.

I didn't feel as bad when Scott Miller told me that the same thing happened to him there -

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Hehehehehe... I found that lesson out the hard way the first time I jumped at Mile Hi. I got a great briefing by the staff regarding outs, hazards, landing patterns, etc. They just never mentioned the 8 billion prairie dog holes in the area! :)

Or the peas that are not peas, more like boulders, and its only a few inches deep!! Damn those hurt!!

I always walk the landing area....always. I even walk the landing area at my home DZ before I start jumping just so that I can walk through the landing pattern in my head. A bit neurotic I admit, but I like to walk the landing area.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

> Once on a load I found out that they'd moved the
> landing area without telling me.

Really? I thought they only moved the dropzone
around in exit separation discussions :-) :-)

But yes, when I go to a new DZ I look at aerial
maps, and stand around and watch a few loads,
and look at stuff, and try to tune in to the new
environment.

Then I go up and do a solo so I can tune in
on the way up and look around on the way down.

Demos were exciting, but these days I'm much
more into lower stress recreation.

Skr

HEY There is nothing wrong with those prairie dog holes, I LIKE those prairie dog holes, I broke my
#@ $% leg in one of those prairie dog holes!! :P

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Jenn (peregrinerose) knows what kind of faces I make when I don't EXAMINE THE LANDING ZONE before I try something oh so stupid.

Turns out, landing is pretty important sometimes.

Kyle, I attached the picture of you realizing that you didn't scope out the landing area nearly well enough..... You can tell just how stupid you were :P

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

That is the very moment when I realized that I had just swooped myself into the judges' platform in Eloy.

That is my dumbest moment in skydiving and possibly life captured.

It's sobering to think, that picture could have been the last moment of my life had I hit that platform right.

I wish we had a picture of my foot drag next to that platform, I missed it by an inch. I am very glad that I had 200 jumps on that canopy before I decided to put myself there :P. Had I downsized just before I probably wouldn't have made it out.

Hurray for learning my own limitations!

(Attached is a pic of when I was happy before boarding on that jump for contrast)

--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training