GARYC24

Guitar Player/musicians post

I got a Alvarez acoustic
Fender 12-string acoustic
Yamaha Keyboard (just learning, know 3 chords)
C-harmonica (learning)
and this weekend put down $20 for a $800 Washburn
mandolin..manager's gonna sell it to me for $350 !
Have ya'll seen any of the new guitar picks?
Some are what the call "cat tongue" feel..like little spikes for gripping? their kinda neat.
Also, I saw in Guitar Player and $9.95 guitar pick
"Jellifish" pick suppose to make 10 different sounds with guitar..it has a single row of small wires on the end of pick (jellifish.com ? i think)

Ok so the JelliFish pick is friggin awesome! have you listened to the samples? Ahhh, I wish I could play the guitar. I barely know the basics and a few chords. I have a cheapo yamaha acoustic guitar but I got some busted strings and I'm also terrible at tuning [:/] someday tho

Ah, yes. my gear
1. My baby is a Les Paul. A black beauty. This baby was customized befor eI found it in a pawn shop. This guitar was a diamond in the rough, and I'll never part with my Mistress.
2. Alvarez Acoustic/Electric. A wonderful instrument.
3. Hamer Bass. Four strings are all I need. Good action and low end with fine pitch controls.
4. Fender electric/acoustic mandolin. What a sweet sounding instrument. Easy to play and hard to screw up with it.

I play through a 200 watt Randall solid state with a Boss GT-3 effects processor.

For picks, I just prefer the simple Fender Medium. I'll have to check out th Jellifish, though. I've never tried it.

Strings? On the acoustic I play Medium gauge. Hard on the hands, but such sweet tone. D'Addario's are my typical, though I still experiment. On the electric, I'll stick with either 11's or 10's. I used to like Ernie Ball Slinkies, but they break too often. Gibson makes some fine electric strings.

Next guitar? Either a G&L Telecaster (I love that twang and nice thick neck) or a 12 string acoustic.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I have two Alvarez accoustics (one is on loan to a fellow freeflyer). But I have this small problem... I used to play a lot until I started skydiving. :P That seams to be the story of my life. I think all of us could say this:

I used to do _________ all the time, but now I skydive.

I'm trying to play more lately - even brought my guitar to the dz this weekend. Never made it out of my car. [:/]

A Fender Acouustic 6-string.
Blues Harmonica (A good selection of different keys)
A Bach Strad Bb (b-flat) 37 trumpet
and a Milcovitz Signature series Bobby Shew #1 mouthpiece (as well as a good selection of other mouthpieces including a few sizes of Bach and Schilkes)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Takamine G335. Approximate worth $150.00

Fender Precision bass approximate worth $500.00

1969 Gibson J50 that my father bought new in 1969 for 175.00 now approximate worth $1125.00.

Alvarez Classical model ? that I bought new in 1970 for 125.00 now priceless (to me at least). It's really the only one I like to play now.

Still play the bass on occasion.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

That's cool, I love the sound of flute, if played correctly. Note, I said flute not fluteS. Especially when played in a Jazz context, man that is really cool. I've heard some good players play some seriously bitch'n solos on a flute before in a small jazz combo.

Yamaha RBX260 bass with EMGs and many other upgrades done to it (my main instrument).
Washburn PRS copy (double-cutaway) with DiMarzio Invader at the neck and Screamin' Demon at the bridge.
Washburn acoustic/electric 6-string with single cutaway style body.
Getting ready to buy a Fender 5-string jazz bass that a buddy of mine (who owns the local music store) is gonna sell to me for just over cost.
Too many pedals, amps, and random effects to list...

Never seen the Jellyfish thing or the cat tongue picks, but I may have to check them out. ;)

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

I'm also terrible at tuning [:/] someday tho

Get a pitch pipe. They're fairly accurate if you get a decent one.

Nah, get a real tuner and a 9volt battery. A tuning fork would be better than a pitch pipe..used the money for a the pitch pipe for a Kazoo..at least you can make music out of it! ahaha
I'm gonna have to learn to tune the mandolin,
my fender acoustic 12 string W/Elixir strings I'm getting good a keeping it in tume, now..after about 4 broken strings..(don't tune up laying in bed drunk!haha)
If and when I get an electric I'll be a Gibson Les Paul or a hollow-body style with tremolo bar..and I would love to get the Valvetronix model amp..but would rather stick to a regular amp like a Fender Deluxe (Neil Young uses..see GuitarPlayer mag)
I'm learning and playing around with alternate tuning
Also next on my wish list is a resonator guitar, steel guitar and a Taylor!

good to see ya again therus!

heres my list
acoustic

Gibson epiphone ( I leave at my mothers house so I can play when I go to NY)

Applause aa-31(my 1st)

Carlo robelli D81R (my travel piece)

taylor 310 (my prize acoustic, so far)

Electric
Hagstrom (60's original AKA "the po' mans fender")

Hamer cali (nice heavy sound)

fender heartfield(nice versatile guitar)

MR potato (korean hand made guitar. pretty damn nice for its price)

Fender american deluxe- (nice BLUESY sound)

bass
ibanez tr 80- nothing special just a bass
My photos

My Videos

Get a pitch pipe. They're fairly accurate if you get a decent one.

Nah, get a real tuner and a 9volt battery. A tuning fork would be better than a pitch pipe..used the money for a the pitch pipe for a Kazoo..at least you can make music out of it! ahaha

Yep, definately better, was just going for cheap. I've never used any tuning devices, got my piano for that. Plus I've got perfect relative pitch, so I've got less issues in the first place ;)

Gary:

The Mandolin is quite simple to tune. From top to bottom it is: G-D-A-E. Tune to itself with the seventh fret for each string.

Then play away. You should be able to form simple chords by fingering the top four strings of a guitar upside down. (Some are too tough to do that, like an F, etc.)

Practice a couple of hours, and you'll be doing brilliantly with it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

That's cool, I love the sound of flute, if played correctly. Note, I said flute not fluteS. Especially when played in a Jazz context, man that is really cool. I've heard some good players play some seriously bitch'n solos on a flute before in a small jazz combo.

It's a beautiful sound, for sure. I played and sang in a jazz combo here in Chicago for about a year. It's hard to play powerfully, as it has an inherintly "soft" sound. Piano's my primary instrument, classically trained. although, I'd generally have 3 majors and/or minors going (piano/flute/voice) and then jazz or classical, depending on my mood at the time. ;) Played around on an alto sax for a while too, 'cause that's an easy one to pick up after the flute. I need to get one and piss my neighbors off some more B|

I've actually always been a fan of Ian Anderson and his style.

Oh, you hit a weak spot, or a sore spot, depending on who you ask.

Basses:
''70's Hagstrom Swede bass (bought new)
Moses Graphite Starhawk bass (original version)

Pres:
2 Kern IP-777
ART Nightbass SE
Raven Labs PBA-1

FX:
Zvex Whooly Mammoth
Fulltone Bassdrive
Akai Uni Bass
Akai Deep Impact
Lexicon Vortex
Aphex 204

Power:
Carvin DCM 1500
QSC RMX-850

Cabs:
2 Music Man Audiophile 210HD
2 Music Man Aduiophile 212HD

Most of the rig is new, I had a serious case of G.A.S. that I THINK is in remission, though I have been looking at the Boomerang and some synth modules and MIDI controllers lately.

Thank God I still owe a little on the Vector 3M and Lotus. LOL!

Sure...I'd like to play too :)
Electric Guitars:
2 PRS Singlecuts (1 flametop, 1 goldtop)
Les Paul Standard (natural finish)
SG Custom
G&L Legacy

Acoustic Guitars:
Gibson J170
Martin D24
Alvarez (Yauri edition)

Keyboards:
Kurzweil K2500XS
Hammond XK-2
Yamaha P-80

Amps:
Soldano SLO100
TopHat Ambassador
Vox AC 30
Roland KC500
Motion Sound Pro-145

Other misc. stuff.
Mackie 1202 VL
Mackie HR824's
.....and probably some other stuff that I can't remember!!! :S

B~

Here is mine!

Fender Jazz Bass-sunburst(62 replica and sounds pretty damn close to a real 62!), played through a bassman amp.

Gretsch acoustic guitar........picked it up to learn a few chords in hopes in would make me a much better bass player-and it has!:P

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Gretsch acoustic guitar........picked it up to learn a few chords in hopes in would make me a much better bass player-and it has!

That's funny...I was thinking of taking bass lessons to improve my guitar playing:D

My gear:
Epi Dot (poor man's 335)
G&L Legacy Strat
Line6 Flextone XL - my favorite amp of all time!
1965 Fender Tremolux
Taylor 510
Blues harps in various keys
Egg

A Fender Acouustic 6-string.
Blues Harmonica (A good selection of different keys)
A Bach Strad Bb (b-flat) 37 trumpet
and a Milcovitz Signature series Bobby Shew #1 mouthpiece (as well as a good selection of other mouthpieces including a few sizes of Bach and Schilkes)

Doc Severenson came into my music shop one time looking for just the RIGHT Bach trumpet. Mt. Vernon 4 digit serial. If you ever run across one, let me know, I know how to get a hold of Doc, and you can make some good money.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Mt. Vernon 4 digit serial

Ok, there's a reason why he was looking for that. Those are some of the best trumpets EVER made.

If I had one, it would be played not sold.;)

The craftsman ship on those horns is the touchstone, as well as the metal used...they have a great sound quality, something that's hard to get even with the modern Bach Strads (which are some of the best...although that is heavily debated between players who play different horns like Yamaha Pro horns, etc).

If you'd like to pass something along to Doc...tell him to play a show in College Station.;)B| I've heard him live at a small venue in Sherman, TX once (who'd thunk that) and that was some incredible trumpet playing. Didn't beat the Maynard Ferguson gig I went to back in Feb, but still...wow!

My original training is as a violin maker. I have made a couple dozen guitars and (I shudder to admit it) MANY banjos. After 26 years in the music industry, someone walked into my shop and offered me too much money to resist for the building, so I sold it. I still have a TON of instruments, including a bunch of cellos, violins, guitars etc. Lucky for me, my husband, son and I are all musicians. We love music almost as much as skydiving.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]