softnotes

Going Tits Up

Can someone explain why the English use "It went tits up", or "It has gone all pear shaped" to describe something going wrong?

Are things fine then when the tits are down and what sort of fruit will indicate a suitably fine state?
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"

It has gone all pear shaped

I think that is refering to women, sleak lines when you date and marry, then...well, nature takes its course sometimes. Its crude, but that's what I think it refering to.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm BRITISH best of!
Going/Gone tits up/Going/Gone pear shaped mean the same thing as you pointed out Going/Gone wrong.
Our language is packed with slang!!
For example to the above you could also say It's gone belly up/turned to rat shit etc generally considerred more polite than simply saying IT'S FUCKED!

In the US i believe the word Fag for example means Queer/Gay/Shirt lifter etc,where here in blighty it slang for cigarette/ciggy etc..

One more,you say pissed meaning annoyed,upset etc we do also but it can also mean drunk depending on what context is used....i.e It was pissing down last night=raining hard.....Fuck i was pissed last night=I was drunk......Now you're beginning to piss me off=I'm getting upset so i'm going down to the frog&toad to the rubber tub to get pissed & smoke a fag.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

According to huck finn, dead women float face up in the water because their tots are floaty, where dead guys default into the "dead man's float"

so i figure that's why.

belly-up, a similar expression, i think relates to dead fish.. or perhaps turtles

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

According to huck finn, dead women float face up in the water because their tots are floaty, where dead guys default into the "dead man's float"

so i figure that's why.

belly-up, a similar expression, i think relates to dead fish.. or perhaps turtles

HEY!!!>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

BOLLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!What's all this pony & trap;)going back to me trouble & strife,hope she's prepared some tope scram or i'm going to git really pissed & smoke some more fags:)

But am I correct in saying that BOLLOCKS can also be used in a cool manner...
IE..."That jump was the Dogs-Bollocks!!..."

or did I just make an ass out of my self?

DJ

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ