spencer

Jav TJNK, reserve pd or Optimum

Container size TJNK, will take a pd126r, how about a Optimum of the same size, am I right in saying the Optimum pack volume is smaller.
thanks

Yes the Optimum packs smaller for the same given size.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

thanks for your reply Squeak, and as min is 126, and max is 135. for that container size, I guess its it wont work.
thanks.

There's a difference between not working and not looking good.

There are techniques to make a reserve pack a little bigger to fill the space. I would talk to Sunpath and ask them.

Also: WHY do you want a smaller reserve?? Most people get a small container for the smaller main and just downsize their reserve. If you're interested in a container that will fit you and your main, AND a larger reserve, I would think that is a great idea, and get a larger reserve to go with it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

thanks for your reply Squeak, and as min is 126, and max is 135. for that container size, I guess its it wont work.
thanks.

Spence, the Optimum one size UP from 126 would be pretty much the same size as the 126R. so why not go for the bigger optimum in the TJNK
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Iam looking at second hand gear, mains and reserves.
Im getting a 135 main, and was looking at a 126 reserve, so I can down size to a 120 main, at a later date if I choose to. which would even things out size wise.

That's a common practice, but bad idea.

You have to account that you're jumping your reserve, if you're comfortable jumping a 135 main, your reserve should be that or bigger... atleast thats MY opinion.

(don't want to have to deploy your reserve after a total mal, and now be low, far from the dz, and under the smallest canopy you've ever jumped)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Im getting a 135 main, and was looking at a 126 reserve, so I can down size to a 120 main, at a later date if I choose to. which would even things out size wise.

There is no reason why you can't jump a smaller main than reserve. I jump a PD143 reserve, but a 120 main.

The logic that they should be the same size comes from some very old military testing, and is no longer given the credence it once was.

Two out canopy malfunctions are exceedingly rare, especially if you keep in mind your AAD firing altitudes and open well above that. Even if a two-out malfunction happens, it is easy to deal with regardless of canopy size. On the contrary, landing off the airport under a small reserve can be quite taxing indeed.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

So how bigger reserve that a main should someone jump. in your view.
Taking into account, pull height, jump Nos, where you jump. type of mal. Are you saying no one should jump a smaller reserve than there main.

You can obviously buy/jump whatever the hell you want. But do you want your last chance to be the smallest thing you've landed?

If I had your attitude, Id never jump again. And thank you for letting me know I can jump what ever I like. Thats very kind of you. The Sq ft were talking about, if your in that much shit, game over.

The advise Ski gave you is spot on, so don't take offense to it. For reference, I jump a Storm 97 but my reserve is a PD126. The idea of having a same size or larger reserve is indeed a very good idea if one weighs out the reasons why. However, as Ski mentioned, you can and some do, have a smaller reserve than their main. IMO, if you have never flown a canopy smaller than your main, your reserve shouldn't be even smaller.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Are you saying no one should jump a smaller reserve than there main.

Not really.

My accuracy rig has a 252 main and a 176ish reserve. Fine by me, no reason to get a student-sized reserve for this rig.

My main freefall rig has a 135 main and a 120 reserve, I've jumped mostly 120ish canopies for a couple years already so it's not smaller than I'm used to. I also had a bunch of jumps on reserves already, plus a bunch of jumps on similar 7cells (lightning). If everything goes alright sure I can land my reserves just fine. If I run into "issues" however, gearwise, spot-wise or physical, I've got trouble on my hands. And would likely wish very hard for a 150 or bigger reserve. :|

The first time however I was under a 128 reserve after chopping a 135 main (at ~250 jumps and a WL of 1.15), I broke my nose on landing. Sure wished I had a bigger reserve than. Reserves don't fly and land like your main does, so even a reserve the same size as the main you're used to can be 'interesting' to have to land.

So, my tips:
Try and keep the reserve bigger than your (smallest) main, definitely not go any smaller.
Try to keep the wingloading low (1.0 is good).
Try to get a demo jump of your reserve before buying, shouldn't be hard with a PD-R or Optimum to arrange that.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Try to get a demo jump of your reserve before buying, shouldn't be hard with a PD-R or Optimum to arrange that.

I don't believe that PD is still doing demos on the PD-R.

PDR is on their list of available canopies for demo in Europe

http://www.performancedesigns.com/demo_sport_europe.asp
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

PD Reserve is also on the form for "Sport Demo USA".

Ski, why do you say they don't demo PDRs anymore?

(Not saying they do or do not. I see it on the form, but maybe you have more recent info.)

PD Reserve is also on the form for "Sport Demo USA".

Ski, why do you say they don't demo PDRs anymore?

(Not saying they do or do not. I see it on the form, but maybe you have more recent info.)

At a boogie a few months ago, I asked to demo a PD-R 176 and the rep said they're not doing demos of the PD-R, only the Optimums. Could be that I mis-understood him though.

At a boogie a few months ago, I asked to demo a PD-R 176 and the rep said they're not doing demos of the PD-R, only the Optimums. Could be that I mis-understood him though.

Could be that he just didnt have Demo PD-Rs at the Boogie, only Optis
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Perhaps they have concluded that they are more likely to get people to buy the more expensive reserve if they can get them to demo it, so only offer the optimum for demo. It makes great business sense to me.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am