Pammi

Wine for the beer drinker.

I'm strictly a beer sorta gal, with the exception of an occassional shot, Red Bull and Vodka or margarita. However, working for a very old fashioned sort of attorney who has an extensive wine collection, sometimes I want to look a little less like my uncultured roots and be able to drink a glass of wine that doesn't make me want to spit it right back out! :D For instance, I ordered a glass at dinner once at an Italian Restaurant that came to me warm. I'm sorry, I realize I'm a hick and all, but that's just nasty. $5 for a glass of wine that isn't even cold :S:D I know, I'm joking, it was supposed to be that way, but I'd rather not waste another $5 on warm wine again.

So...not warm or too strong (I have a bottle at home that he gave me that I won't drink of something that apparently you are supposed to also serve warm and sip). I'm cheap (ya all knew that) so the only wine I've liked in the past was Reuniti Rasberry and I like Asti Spumanti. So sweet is my thing I guess?

Ideas?

Pammi

I'm strictly a beer sorta gal,

A girl after my own heart!

Asti Spumanti.

Mmmm...I love Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante!

I'm like you. I don't really like wine. I tried Kendall Jackson Chardonnay a few weeks ago, and I really liked it! It's cheap (yay!), tastes sweet (yay again!), and doesn't have that wine taste that makes me get that weirdo face.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

it was supposed to be that way

Boy, you are a hick:P I knew about the easy part, but if you say you're cheap too...

I cant think of ANY wine that you want to drink warm. Except for hot wine type drinks, but thats besides the point....

I sent back bottles when they were served to me warm. Even Bourgogne reds should be a few degrees below room temp (about 18C). I'm not that picky, and I'll more then happily drink a wine thats a bit warmer then what its supposed to be, but if its warm, its going back.
Remster

I tried Kendall Jackson Chardonnay a few weeks ago, and I really liked it! It's cheap (yay!), tastes sweet (yay again!), and doesn't have that wine taste that makes me get that weirdo face.

You thought Kendall Jackson Chardonnay was sweet? Everyone has their own taste for wine. If you want sweet try a Johanisberg Reisling or something.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

and doesn't have that wine taste that makes me get that weirdo face.

ROFL! I know that face ;)

I think it was a Merlot, Remi. Not positive. It was red, and definately warm tho! Blech. I didn't want to seem silly by asking someone if it was supposed to be that way :$

And yes, cheap and easy...that pretty much sums it up :)

I've heard Fat Bastard is good, but not sure I should say that in front of a client ;)

Pammi

Reisling

or Ice wine

or Sauterne (ot Mont Saint Croix, a smaller vignogle area but
just as good IMHO)

But really, thems are desert wines

Depending where you come from, Port is seen as many things. Some drink it cold as an before dinner drink, others with cheese, and now more and more people are drinking it with heavy duty deserts.
Remster

Ordering a desert wine before dinner or something super sweet with a spicy meal will not help you shed either your dislike of wine nor the appearance of not knowing wine.

Wine with food is complementary - you could equate it to adding sugar to a cheese hors d'oeurve or salting your chocolate cake.

'Wine people' really love wine - and if this guy has an extensive collection, he'd probably love to share what he knows. Might be a good move to ask him questions. I wouldn't be afraid to show your naivete of wine - then again, you might get into a position where you're having to try a lot of wine.

(dream come true!)

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

Just ask him. Most people who are really into wines can tell you quite a bit and everybody has to learn at some point.

The lighter wines are the chardonnay, reisling, etc. The merlot is a very dark wine that is rather a bit more tart. Most people who do not drink a lot of wines don't care of the merlot, cabernet sauvingion (sp?) or the likes.

<-- still the rookie wine drinker, but loves it!

I really dont like any wine with very spicy food

I agree generally. Although a hearty shiraz is wonderful with curry. (I don't eat meat/fish/cheese so I have to find other foods to have my reds with)

A tip I learned for the very spicy stuff:
The spices in most of the hot foods are oily. Water (unless it's hot, like tea) just rolls over the oily spices. Try bread. The bread will absorb the oily spices. An alternative is to drink milk. Milk contains a substance called "casein" which will bind to the spices and carry them away. Alcohol also dissolves oily spices.

Then again, I'm looking for excuses to drink wine with anything. :ph34r:

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

White Wines are served cold and I know the ladies ask for wine spritzers (i think they add gingerale or sprite for more bubbles and it's less of a "wine" taste).... "Men"/ "bosses" seem to think its ok.... It's perfect for that beer drinkin gal!B|

Cheers,
... I luv my Red

The mighty ocean has but one taste, the taste of salt. Even so, the true way has but one savor, the savor of freedom.

i have always wanted to go to a wine tasting event because i am like you - i love my beer but when you go out for work dinners and stuff i feel weird ordering beer while everyone is sipping on wine. i have yet to find a wine that i like so i just drink mix drinks instead when i don't wanna look too hickish but most of the time i just look hickish in my 200.00 dress and 89.00 shoes and my coors light... i have been known to be easy but the only thing cheap about me is my coors light.... ask just about anyone that knows me...
Samantha Weaver

I went to the Shorline Grill with some clients of mine a while back and I ordered beer with my high dollar fish because all of my clients were hickish!! I was expecting to get a nice bottle of wine and they were all "Bud Light", so I had to get some Shiner Bock ;)

White Wines are served cold and I know the ladies ask for wine spritzers (i think they add gingerale or sprite for more bubbles and it's less of a "wine" taste).... "Men"/ "bosses" seem to think its ok.... It's perfect for that beer drinkin gal!B|

Cheers,
... I luv my Red

That's actually a good idea to break someone in. I should try that. My boyfriend likes wine, and I can't stand the stuff. He seems to think it's immature of me, but I hate the taste AND the smell of the stuff he drinks.
So perhaps wine spritzer would be a good way to get into it slowly...

Blondes do have more fun!

Dessert wines? Beaujolais season is almost upon us!

Maybe its the french genes in me, but Beaujolais (I assume you mean Beaujolais nouveau), a desert wine! Is that the new thing in the US? I'd call it a light apéritif wine... not enough substance for me for desert... but then again, I'm a hard core dark chocolate desert type person;)
Remster

Most new wine drinkers tend to start with a sweetish white wine, and as their taste developes, move to dryer white, then to reds.

I suggest you try a Johannisburg Riesling from Germany. Especially one from Rudisheim in the Rheingau region.

BTW - What did your boss give you?
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342