NovaTTT

Pioneer Super-Pro Reserve

In addition to perhaps promoting general discussion, this post is mostly directed to Sparky and SlotPerfect.

I have a Pioneer Super-Pro chest-mounted reserve with a 23' steerable reserve. (ref PPMI 5.420)

Did you guys ever find the manual or packing instructions for this old-time gear?

Thanks and cheers.

Nova
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Hi Nova,

I only have Poynter's original Parachute Manual; but it has a section ( 9.5.10 ) that is called Assembly & Packing Instructions, All Pioneer rectangular chest and reserve assemblies, flat or curved.

It is for 23', 24', 26' and 28' canopies, according to what he says.

It seems fairly complete unless you have never packed a military chest pack container; then you might have some trouble with the instructions.

But if you were to get stuck, just drop an email or call; I'm sure I could walk you through it.

I could make a copy & snail mail it to you; it is four pages. Just let me know,

JerryBaumchen

Hi, Jerry.

I looked for a copy of the original PM online but can't find it.

My copy of PPM goes omits 5.9 and 5.10. Wonder why that change was made?

Please don't make a special effort, but if you're able to copy those pages sometime I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Nova
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

@ Jerry: First coke and a burger and fries to go with. There's more than this old Pioneer!

@ Dave: It's a 23' steerable conical, no reefing, no diaper. This sucker is flaked, folded and stuffed into the chest pack. On the plus side it has adjustable risers!!

It could also be roll packed if it was hand deployed rather than having a pilot chute fitted.

Hand deploys can be very messy if the canopy is folded into the container.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Thanks for the tip, Tim.

But this won't be jumped, given the age and condition of the container and the parachute. Frankly, it took a fair amount of detective work and page-poring just to identify the kit.

On the container, one could just make out a double "e" (of what turned out to be "Pioneer") and the faint remains of the word "Manchester".

First thought it might be British gear.

Anyway, I'll be using it to work on another rating. ;)

In the old days I had a Super Pro main container. My reserve was a pioneer container but not a Super Pro. They were two different manufacturers, around 1974. Correct me if I am wrong. At least I never heard of a pioneer, Super Pro.

I bought that Pioneer reserve from B.J. Worth. It had a 24 ft. round, with pilot chute, and kicker plate.....Man was it hard to close up! You had to really fight and wrestle with it to get it closed.

I don't think I ever had the official packing instructions that went with it. It seemed like most chest packs were all packed the same back then. But that was 35 years ago. I've lost a lot of memory cells since then....

On my last cut away with it, the rip cord seemed to even pull hard, but it did save my bacon!

What I had to go on when identifying this was the double e and the Manchester which are barely discernable on the kit.

No other markings or #s survived the years, except for a faint Manchester, CT on the parachute. The kit is pictured and described in PPMI 5.420, listed as a Pioneer.

That's as much history as I know about it!

As for packing, I found it closed fairly easily with the 23', even with the kicker and PC.

But I'll have to show accessible packing instructions.

Like to hear more about that last Super-Pro cutaway.

My picture shows that gear. That is a pioneer (chest pack) reserve. The super pro container is on my back.

I had two cut-aways on the old gear, with shot and a half capewells. My para-commander was somewhat tangled with my sleeve. Too short of a retainer line probably caused both those entanglements.

Actually they weren't bad malfunctions. I could have rode both of them in...probably? I was taught, "When in doubt, Whip it out!"

I had a terrrible body position after cutting away, both times. The reserve openned fine both times.

is that a tri conical reserve ? I saw my buddy get a total inversion on that.. scared him out of his wits for a few seconds. Just fyi !!! If it is reefed, well, I personally prefer that, a lot !!!

Pioneer Tri-Conical reserves acquired a bad reputation after a few of them malfunctioned during the 1970s.
Only jump a tri-conical reserve if your medical insurance is paid up!

That's the one - only this kit is navy blue and has obviously been rode hard and put up wet. The risers lack a X-connector as well.

Say - that's an interesting looking rig in the test-jump photo! :D:P:)

In the old days I had a Super Pro main container. My reserve was a pioneer container but not a Super Pro. They were two different manufacturers, around 1974. Correct me if I am wrong. At least I never heard of a pioneer, Super Pro.
!

Oh golly! I just had another thought from the past. Maybe that was a stylemaster reserve rather than a pioneer chest pack??? My memory truly is messed up. I've had one concussion too many!....

Hi Nova,

only this kit is navy blue

They first only came in Sage Green. Then they offered a Navy Blue also.

This one that I have was made for the '74 US Team; I got it from Mick Bevens who was a member.

JerryBaumchen

PS) And steve1: With your memory, welcome to the old-timers club. :P

!

Oh golly! I just had another thought from the past. Maybe that was a stylemaster reserve rather than a pioneer chest pack??? My memory truly is messed up. I've had one concussion too many!....

How many times do I have to tell you? ... You have suffered short-term memory loss!

reply]

How many times do I have to tell you? ... You have suffered short-term memory loss!

This memory loss problem is getting scary. On some dive plans I was having trouble remembering the first point. I sometimes introduce and old friend, and I can't remember their name. Some old farts have no trouble with that sort of thing. Maybe it's a good thing I'm presently grounded....[:/]