ccarty85

mysterious parachute and harness??

Hi guys,

I am totally new to all this and I was hoping that you guys might be able to help identify this parachute and harness that I´ve got. It belonged to my dad who brought it second hand and used it once behind a boat a couple of years ago. Since then, it has been sat in my garage collecting spiders.

Ok, so here`s the question, does anyone here know what it may be? Any information would be grately appreciated. All I know is that the span of the chute is approx 6.5m (20ft) and the toe rope is 40m in length. I am looking to sell it to help fund this new hobby....please help!!

thanks for your time guys and I look forward to hearing from you!

Chris

I hope these pics work!!

[IMG]http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af48/ccarty85/parachute/DSCN0161.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af48/ccarty85/parachute/DSCN0157.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af48/ccarty85/parachute/DSCN0173.jpg[/IMG]

hi guys,

Thanks for your replies so far...obviously its not looking too good at the moment. I cant find any information on google by typing in `Surfair`, is this the make? Im pretty sure my dad paid a lot of money for it back in the day, i could be wrong though...

Again, thanks for the help, hopefully more of you will be able to share your opinions/expertise.

Chris

its been a long time since i saw a surfair!! it was the first canopy i owned, i bought it second hand from a local jumper in ireland. it was made in france but PDF i believe, my size was a 220 and it loks simular size in the pic. i did about jumps on it,but after my 3 cutaway on it in that time i donated it to the BONFIRE:S
i doubt you will have much sucess in trying to sell it,and its hard to tell from the pic what kind of container it is, but it doesnt look like a skydiving rig to me, i am guessing it might be a pilots rig.

cherrio

rodger

Like the label says, it's a Surfair, made by Parachutes de France. This is an ancient canopy (might be a label on it, my guess is 1985-ish), probably 220 sqft, made of F111 fabric, and very probably not airworthy (by condition, the age alone is prohibitive enough for most riggers/countries), even if someone would want to jump an old F111 canopy at all.

Try putting it on ebay and selling it as a car cover/decoration non-airworthy canopy, that's basically your only option.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

hi guys,

Thanks for your replies so far...obviously its not looking too good at the moment. I cant find any information on google by typing in `Surfair`, is this the make? Im pretty sure my dad paid a lot of money for it back in the day, i could be wrong though...

Again, thanks for the help, hopefully more of you will be able to share your opinions/expertise.

Chris

Some info is listed in Poynter's Manual Volume 2 page 171. Go to google and search Parachutes De France Surfair
Click on the link titled "The parachute Manual: a treatise on aerodynamic decelerators.

I looked it up just because I'm interested in old parachutes and paragliders.

Parachutes de France is the company, Surfair is the model.

It shows up as an old parachute design from '89 or before, in Poynter's manual (an older manual on parachute rigging):

http://books.google.com/books?id=2PopFBjLZV8C&pg=PA171&lpg=PA171&dq=parachutes+de+france+surfair&source=bl&ots=ldmVycxZ7V&sig=6uRWDx_xQK5-DyqVJZFopPrJG_c&hl=en&ei=bQa_Tf60MsnYgQfUkczaBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=parachutes%20de%20france%20surfair&f=false

It also shows up in the big paragliding wing (canopy) database at Para2000, first on the market in 1985:

http://www.para2000.org/wings/parachutesdef/surfair.html

Basically it appeared at the very very start of the sport of paragliding, and as such was basically a parachute that was also sold for paragliding, before the sports diverged.

One can see in your photo that the harness is an early paragliding harness. Because of that and other reasons (eg, no pilot chute system) the canopy seems to have been originally sold for paragliding not skydiving.

Towing a ram-air canopy (a wing style parachute) behind a boat is generally seen to be a dangerous thing to do. Towing ram air canopies aloft (parascending) has been a legitimate thing to do, but requires specialized knowledge to conduct such activities safely.

Basically its current value is a waiver signed by whomever you give it to, not to sue you if they hurt themselves with it. :)

Im pretty sure my dad paid a lot of money for it back in the day

I know for a fact that my dad paid $500+ for our first VCR. Any thoughts what a circa-1983 VCR is worth today?

Whatever number you're thinking of, that's about what your canopy is worth. E-bay will be your best bet where you might find a collector or person with no knowledge of parachutes what-so-ever who might be willing to pay more than market value.

Hi guys,
Since then, it has been sat in my garage collecting spiders.

I am looking to sell it to help fund this new hobby....please help!!

You'll probably get more money with the empty beer bottles you have in your garage.

I have a Beta VCR that I could trade, if you pay shipping.

;-)