firemedic

This might be a dumb question, so.....

Does anyone know why reserves assembled with French Mallion Links should have the the Barrels of the link facing inboard when mounted on the risers?
Some manuals for pilot rigs say to do this but don't say why. I can't find anything in the Poynter's manual either.

I was told it was so that when the slider comes down, the grommet on the slider rides down the smooth side of the link instead of hitting the ridge created by the barrel.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The theory I heard behind this is that in case the links are not tightened and deform (open) during deployment, the first lines to come out will be the inner ones. Inner lines are less prone to affect controllability. If outer lines go out the canopy will be dramatically affected (turn quickly).
Anyway, not a dumb question at all.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

My understanding is that all connectors for lines and risers, for instance paraglider carabiners, have the openings turned inward because they are more protected from damage, rubbing etc and in the event they open or the locking device fails the link is less likely to catch a line or other loose item. Also as monkey mentioned they offer a smoother surface to slider grommets.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

What everyone has said so far makes sense. I always install silicone bumpers when I assemble a reserve with metal links so that will protect the grommets when the slider comes down. A link failing and coming open is always a possibility if the barrel is overtightened and cracks.

I've been asked by skydivers why the barrels are supposed to be inboard and I just tell them I honestly don't know why other than some manufacturers say to do it that way. I hate not having a definitive answer, if there is one, for someone who wants to know.
Does anyone know if there is written rigging data that would explain the reasoning behind it.

when i worked at para flite in the 70's and 80's, the links were turned with the barrels inboard so that the slider would not whack into the barrel. since para flite was the First to use rapide links,you can take this as gospel, no b.s. FOR THE RECORD, this was before slider bumpers(which para flite also introduced in 1978 on the safety flyer ,the first square reserve)

when i worked at para flite in the 70's and 80's, the links were turned with the barrels inboard so that the slider would not whack into the barrel. since para flite was the First to use rapide links,you can take this as gospel, no b.s.

Installing silicone bumpers eliminates that problem and when I get a reserve to repack and it has metal links, I always install bumpers if it doesn't have them. I appreciate the input. Not wanting to make a big issue out of this. Just curious if their ever was a written standard that said to install them that way.

Thanks

i had the same question...these various theories answer why as to why the barrel is inwards but none of them as to why the short side (relative to barrel) is towards the top. I done heard them military folks put the long side up and barrel in in case them barrels unwind.

The way I learned it you stager the barrels so they will lay flat in the pack tray. You put the thread down so if the barrel does come loose there is less chance of it unscrewing going up.
That puts the long part on top which allows more space for the lines.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/patsteam.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/Links2.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If you follow the same idea of links opening the longer side should be at the bottom to reduce the chances of the whole riser escaping (which would free all the lines).
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

>but none of them as to why the short side (relative to barrel) is towards the top.

I've heard that one of the reasons is so the shorter curve of the link is positioned at the top (near the lines.) Since the lines have great difficulty passing the barrel, that helps prevent the link from turning sideways (in one direction at least) and cross-loading the connector.

>but none of them as to why the short side (relative to barrel) is towards the top.

I've heard that one of the reasons is so the shorter curve of the link is positioned at the top (near the lines.) Since the lines have great difficulty passing the barrel, that helps prevent the link from turning sideways (in one direction at least) and cross-loading the connector.

As stated earlier, if the barrel was unscrewed and the link deformed, the barrel would most likely still be attached to the long end of the link. With the barrel on the inboard side and short side of link "up", the barrel would be more likely to hold onto the riser, and the short side might let some lines out, but the barrel would retain the riser and maintain some link to the glider.

-SPACE-